So called MacBook "pro"...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lPHONE, Oct 20, 2010.

1. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

Hey Steve, add 4 USB ports (fully powered), 2 FireWire 800 ports and MicroSD... Then MAYBE, just maybe you can call it a Pro.

There's nothing like swapping USB ports all day long with your iPad, iPhone, flash drive and other devices all day on a so called "pro" machine.

2. mitchleeh macrumors regular

Buy a USB hub for your USB problems... That part isn't a big deal.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Dang, I probably should have waited. I mean, I guess a high res screen on the 13" would be nice, but then again, I don't want to wait till next year. I got mine in July anyways so I've gotten some really good use out of it - and no buyers remorse.

4. akasch macrumors regular

Why would you swap out usb cords for an iPhone and iPad?

5. StopSign24 macrumors regular

You can also find them really cheap from places like Amazon.

6. lPHONE thread starter macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

Because it's in the way of your printer!

7. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
  8. bigjobby macrumors 65816

ermmm, 'Pro' is just a marketing name btw.

Adding loads more ports will have an impact on other features and will not necessarily make the unit more (or less) 'Pro'.

9. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Everybody's design is a compromise, based on the goals of the designers.

I'm moving to a MacBook Pro from a Dell XPS 1645. I think the Dell might be more of the kind of machine you were thinking about. It had a huge, beautiful RGB LED screen, and a full quad core i7 processor. But, man, did you get tired of lugging that thing around, and having to carry two 9-cell batteries around to get it to last a business day without power.

Everything's a compromise, and I'm kind of liking Apple's MacBook Pro compromise. :)

You know your iPad and iPhone will connect to the MacBook using Bluetooth, right?

A lot of the Apple philosophy of design seems to revolve around various kinds of wireless technology. I'm not sure what you are doing that would require four USB ports running at one time, but when you start adding things like that, you are asking for the machine to get bigger.

10. BenFL macrumors member

Will it sync through bluetooth?

11. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Of all the things you could complain about the machine not being 'pro' enough... you complain about the lack of USB ports when you could easily buy a USB hub to fix this? :confused::confused:

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You've got an iPad, an iPhone and a MacBook Pro? What more could a man want...

13. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

MicroSD? That's nothing Pro, most phones use that standard, anyway you can just have an adapter for that with your current SD Slot, I find it a miracle that they added SD Slots at all (even if I use it twice a year)

How do you see 4 USB Ports and 2 FireWires on a 13" Laptop? That would literally fill one side with ports and remove the Battery Indicator, also the 17" Model has almost what you want, the 3 Ports and also one of those card slots where you can maybe use one for FireWire

I find it kinda creepie though to have 6 things connected to a laptop, a hub is way more convenient since you can unplug everything once and you can take the computer with you

I personally question the "Pro-ness" of the MacBook a lot, especially since they really overheat because they can't breath, but you are asking amounts of ports a desktop would have

14. mac8867 macrumors 6502

+1 "Pro" is the person, not the machine.

15. andrew086 macrumors regular

how often do you use more than 2 ports on the go? you'd only need more than that at a desk, so you can easily just get a hub... stop QQ'ing over it

16. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

Wow.
    I love this thing, absolutely love it.
    But of all the things to complain about, not enough usb holes to shove your junk into? (no pun intended haha)

What the hell dude??:rolleyes: