So can I use NFC payments anywhere or what ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalebnate, Oct 29, 2014.

1. kalebnate, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

kalebnate macrumors 6502

If I go to any shop that supports contactless payments, can I use Apple Pay ? Such as Tesco or Sainsbury's for example.

EDIT :

You CANNOT use Apple Pay if your credit/debit card is NON-US issued

2. CoilTap macrumors regular

Yes. As long as there's a working, enabled NFC reader, you're golden.

3. SusanK macrumors 68000

If there is an NFC terminal try it and see if the payment is processed.

I am not an expert on this topic. I read that Rite Aid and CVS disabled the NFC terminals in their stores. I have not seen any news items about other businesses doing so.

Good luck!

4. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

So why is Apple showing what stores it is compatible with and that it's adding more in the future, along with people criticizing apple that the system will fail because of the low rate of adoption ?

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

There are many stores I go to that are not on Apple's list that have NFC here in Arizona. My swimming pool cleaning guy isn't going to pay Apple to be on their site, but they currently take my iPhone as payment all the time, he has a wireless terminal. Those stores on Apple's list just received "Apple specific training" or they have paid Apple to be on their site for extra advertising.

6. CoilTap macrumors regular

Apple is showing a list of stores that it has partnered with to ensure that every location of those stores have NFC readers. Stores not on that list may or may not have NFC terminals from one location to the next.

Remember, the same page on Apple's website tells you to just look for the NFC logo. I myself have used it on vending machines, taxies, public transit, etc. all of which are not on the magic list.

So, again, as long as the merchant has NFC terminals and the NFC is enabled, you're golden.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sorry but NOT "golden".

Some places have NFC and it recognises your NFC chip in your iPhone but BLOCKS the transaction because the retailer is blocking Apple Pay.:rolleyes:

8. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I think the stores that apple has partnered with have stated that NFC will be available in all of their stores (and also agreed to have their name associated with apple pay). Other stores that support NFC, but don't show up in apple's list either don't have NFC available in all of their stores, or simply don't want their name to be associated with apple for some reason.

9. CoilTap macrumors regular

Those retailers are blocking all NFC payments. The terminals still activate when an NFC handshake happens, but NFC is blocked somewhere in the store's system. NFC terminals can't tell that you're using Apple Pay versus any other NFC-based method. The only way to block Apple Pay is to turn of NFC or otherwise disable the processing of NFC payments.

Again, I'll reiterate what I said - "As long as the store has NFC and NFC is enabled, you're golden."

10. dilap macrumors 6502a

Is there a Saisbury's or a Tesco in the US? If u are in the UK, :apple: Pay is not supported here

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Probably because they had to pay Apple to be on that list. Home Depot works great with Apple Pay, despite not being there, and same with my local grocery store, and my pool guy.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's blocking all NFC transactions including Google Wallet, not just Apple Pay, either because the retailer has disabled it or never supported it in the first place.

13. jim.hickman.777 macrumors regular

We will never get Apple pay here our banks are too small no BofA here no bank branches either, we are still reeling from the depression of '29 in Oklahoma

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

LOL! You reiterate? LOL WOW!

15. CoilTap macrumors regular

Sorry, was that too big a word for you?

16. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

What's the difference though ? They're saying that it works on any NFC enabled shop, so what would it not work in the UK ?

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Unless your town is completely devoid of NFC-capable terminals, you can get a non-bank-issed Amex card and it'll work.

18. CoilTap macrumors regular

Because your card-issuing bank has to support it. UK banks are not yet supported. There have been reports that NFC readers outside the US work fine with Apple Pay so long as the card you're using is a US-issued card.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It has to be a U.S.-based card.

20. BrettDS macrumors 65816

That's probably not the case. In October of 2015 merchants need to support EMV cards (cards with the little chip) or they will be liable for fraud. They will need to get new credit card readers by 10/2015 to do this. Most (or maybe even all) of these new terminals also support NFC. So by next October Apple pay and other NFC solutions should be much more widely supported. Even in small towns. You may need to switch to a bigger bank to get your card supported, but you should be able to pay in a lot of places.

21. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh bummer. I thought any VISA card would work, as long as it's VISA.

22. CoilTap macrumors regular

Yeah, unfortunately not. Visa/MasterCard is basically just a middle man providing a framework and a network. The transaction always ends up at your bank, so the bank has to be able to support the token generated by Apple Pay and be able to match that up to your actual account.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Just sounded a little omnipotent, but then I remembered it was you! Thanks for keeping me in line, Sir!

24. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

So basically :

You CANNOT use Apple Pay if your credit/debit card is NON-US issued

Is that right ?

25. CoilTap macrumors regular

Correct.