So can we unlock our iPhones now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob616, Jan 23, 2011.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

So please correct me if I am wrong but what I understood was that we were unable to call AT&T and request an unlock for the iPhone because AT&T had a 5 year exclusivity contract with apple right?

So now that the iPhone is coming to verizon that means the contract is over and we can call AT&T and request to have our phones unlocked right?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Nope, that's wrong.

AT&T doesn't unlock iPhones because AT&T decided they didn't want to unlock iPhones. So they'll only start unlocking them when they decide they like the idea.

And even if they did, their customers don't have many places to go in the U.S. For most people, T-Mobile EDGE is all they can use. I doubt it would be very popular even if they did offer it.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Wiki source .....

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

AT&T said they won't and Apple abides by that. Only Europeans get unlocked iPhones (also Asia).

5. walie macrumors 6502a

incorrect

come to Canada

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

unfortunately not for now TS, who knows if maybe in the future

Also Canada & Mexico...:cool:

7. Shanebenn macrumors newbie

All carriers unlock iPhones free of charge in Australia and the iPhone 4 supports every single carrier and all of there frequencies and is also sold on every single carrier.

8. Menge, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Brazil also gets unlocked iPhones on all carriers. It's the law here that operators can't keep your phone locked if it is in fact yours (paid full price/no longer under contract).

There should be something similar in the US...

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are their legal regulations for unlocking phones in europe, canada and elsewhere? I guess what I'm asking is why can it be done in many parts of the world but not the US.

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I don't know if there is any legislation as such, but OfCom (the UK's independent communications regulator) has worked to ensure that phone can be unlocked at the end of the contract and any fees charged should only cover the actual cost of unlocking (they advise a max of £36).

Can't say about the rest of the EU and the wider world.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Our own government supports the crippling (theft) of our property by the carriers.

They should be compelled by law to unlock the phones after the contract terms are satisfied. Heck, they should do it before then for that glorious feature everyone on this forum is constantly touting as the greatest feature of GSM, being able to travel globally and pop in a local sim.

Edit: Any why lock the stupid phone in the first place? To make sure I can't leave AT&T and use it on another carrier? IT DOESN'T FULLY WORK ON ANY US CARRIER! Even if it did, crippling my phone is NOT the way to ensure I pay up. Isn't that what the #### contract is for in the first place?

Sorry, but this is one subject that really pisses me off.

12. Andeavor macrumors 6502

The day American cell phone carriers unlock their phones for their customers is the day when we get communication chips built into our cranium, and even then, there's a chance they continue locking anything that comes with a contract of theirs. (Future cell phone zombie apocalypse)

There's only one solution, move across the boarder or overseas. :)

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That's why we have the iPhone Dev Team for.

14. vant macrumors 65816

It is because US politicians are nose deep in corporate favors.

The day government favors the people over companies will be a great day indeed.

15. walie macrumors 6502a

You can actually go to an apple store in Canada and buy an unlocked iphone for the full price out the door

16. Andeavor macrumors 6502

You can do that in Europe, too, but you still need a cell phone contract with cellular data to keep the costs low. In any way, I would still recommend buying it with a contract to knock off the price.

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

The U.S. Congress gets so many millions from corporations; election campaigns, expensive trips, drugs, hookers, and slush funds. The corporations have even convinced the DOJ that finding music/video "pirates" is more important than finding terrorists. Homeland Security is also more concerned with video piracy than actually protecting american citizens. After all, how many millions did citizens slip under the table to Congress or the regulatory agencies? Zero.

Congress will never pass any kind of law that would require carriers to unlock phones. too many congress people would get kneecapped if they did.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Keep this talk in PSRI before I call a mod your arses...

19. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The price you pay for the phone doesn't reduce just because you get it subsidized on a contract: all you are doing is spreading the cost of the phone out over the 2 year contract.

I save £15 a month on my contract cost in the UK by buying the phone outright and using a sim-only contract. Over the course of a 2 year contract, I am therefore paying £360 less in contract fees which is the exactly the extra cost of the phone without a contract (£599 vs £239). I also have the flexibility to change my phone every year if I want to: in the UK, there are no early termination of contracts allowed and you can't get contracts for less than 18 months so if you want to change every year you are far better off buying the phone outright and selling it on on eBay when you want to change it

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I started it...sorry. Back to your regularly scheduled iPhone forum banter please. :p

Yes, we get how it works.

Unfortunately the sim-only plan is not an option in the US.

21. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

Dont worry I heard the Dev-Team is already hard at work on this......:cool:

22. Andeavor macrumors 6502

But how much are you paying for the cellular data with a sim-only contract? Here in Switzerland we can get about three packages (it varies with the carrier), the most expensive one includes unlimited internet access.

As for changing the phone mid-contract, this is a given for European cell phones as the contract doesn't bind you to a specific phone but it makes sense buying a smartphone with a contract since you still need to set it up first to work with your sim card.

23. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I've always wondered this as well. What if you bought an iPhone locked in the U.S. but were moving to Europe/Asia? Can AT&T still deny the unlock or can you just simply unlock when you get to your place of destination?

24. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Very recently, not only did Apple sign a contract with Verizon, but also a new contract with AT&T. What exactly were these contracts? Probably no one knows for sure, but I'd be willing to be they were exclusivity agreements. One for GSM phones in the US (AT$T) and one for CDMA phones in the US (Verizon'$ agreement).

Therefore, it doesn't look like an unlock is coming very soon.

25. CZK macrumors 6502a