So, can you 'really' buy the iPhone 4S at a store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applefan289, Oct 19, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Or do you have to reserve online? Meaning if I go to the store will they say "no" if I ask to purchase one?

2. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I walked into my AT&T store on Sunday

I called Saturday o check stock but didn't make it until Sunday afternoon. No problem.

3. MacJones macrumors 6502

I walked into a Verizon store Saturday afternoon and got one without waiting in line or calling ahead.

4. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Picked mine up at the local Apple Store. They had hundreds.

5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

They wont turn you away, but I'd bet my left nut that you wont find an Apple retail store with non-reserved stock. I've been trying to reserve one online for three days now, and either the website is lying to me, or every single model is sold out across the province.

6. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sorry, I forgot to mention the Apple store. I'm going to the Apple store.

7. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Apparently Canadians are getting the shaft all over again? Oh well, at least we have decent beer.

8. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

No, you have to check after 9pm. I think that's when the stock is accurate maybe.

9. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I've tried at 9pm, 9:30pm, 10pm, etc. Trust me, the f-in thing doesn't work.

10. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

It works for me. It shows most of them out of stock, but some in stock.

If it's not working for you, maybe it's a conspiracy. They may want to sell the ones in stock to you. Usually they're the ones that are more expensive.

Edit: is it just me or does Apple seem less professional since Steve Jobs passed away? I mean, I've never seen them do this sloppy thing about "reservations only", but "not really". And the reservation process on their website can't even load images sometimes.

11. AmereckanPsycho macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I bought my 4S on the 14th at 6:00 PM from ATT.

12. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

If you're going to try to be funny, at least express a coherent thought.

For ***** and giggles, I selected each Apple store within the province. Not a single store shows stock of any model in either black or white. This system is either useless, or Apple completely dropped the ball in rolling out the 4S north of the border.

13. iDShaDoW macrumors newbie

Walked into the Apple store here on Friday the 14th at like 6PM and the lines weren't so bad and they had stacks and stacks of phones that were for walk-ins. Figured they'd be out or that I'd be stuck in line with the people who just got off work. Got one for my brother in like 15 minutes.

Went back the next day around 1-2PM after I got AT&T to cancel my pre-order and they still had stacks and stacks and the lines weren't bad but a bit slower moving than the day before.

I bet if I go back there for the hell of it they'd still have stacks for walk-ins.

14. alau0115 macrumors regular

Same thing that I have been experiencing with the stores in Ontario on Canada on the Apple reservation system. I tried all three nights at 9pm sharp, any time after 9pm or even before 9pm (say 8:50pm). The process stucked in various pages. At times, I get a blank pull-down menus which fix or not fix themselves after reloading. Or a page where all there are icons for all Apple products categories that are unavailable in red. Or a page where it says the site is down. Or a page which says "Safari cannot load the page" due to server reset. Not to mention the "session time out" page.

This is the most frustrating online process that I experienced. Now, the reserve is back to normal but all stores have no stock.

Today, I was lucky to finally see a page where there were 16GB in white or black available. But then when I clicked one right away and decided to proceed, error occurred.

Basically I find this is just a pure luck (how much the electrical signal from your computer travels) where you can reserve one iPhone 4S from this process.

15. soleil9 macrumors newbie

Reserved a 2 black 16gb AT&T phones last night. Received confirmation email. Went to apple store (12 Oaks Mall, Novi, MI) this am when they opened, 10am. 20 people in line. They said they could only serve a few people before the memorial service today. Didn't matter, because we asked if they had our phone, they said no, they are all out of reserved phones, no matter if we made reservation or not. :mad: my husband called the store after the memorial service to clarify/complain, they said they indeed had our phones, no problem. He ran out and there was a huge line, and they were slowly helping the customers. They wouldn't let him up to the front even though he had been there in the AM and turned away. He waited an hour and a half before he had to leave for a meeting, without phones. Incredibly irritating.

Really, the problem is the employees didn't seem to know What was going on with the reservation web site, they were confused about what stock they had on hand, and they weren't allocating enough staff to the iPhone sales. There were plenty of folks available to sell me a case, but no one would sell me the freaking phone, we had to wait for incredibly slow service, and ultimately had to leave empty handed and our day wasted. :mad:

16. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

I managed to make a reservation online earlier tonight. I hope they don't pull the same crap done to the poor poster above me.

17. blunti macrumors 6502a

As far as I'm concerned, there's no way they can turn you down if you have a valid reservation!

If they do, they should pay for your time, gas money maybe and just make a scene ;)

18. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I went to the Apple store last night without a reservation and purchased a phone within 5 minutes... no hassle at all. I input my information into the computer while the associate went to go get my phone. He came back, activated it and I was on my way.

19. bunnyhop macrumors newbie

SAME FOR ME!!
    on the website it keeps showing "unavailable". last night I sat in front of the computer from 8:30pm - 11:30pm (Cali), and NOTHING.

20. roberthodgson macrumors regular

I was at apple in square one yesterday and they had a ton of phones available
    and most of the people that were buying we're geting 2 each of the Factory unlocked versions.

21. Steven.nevets macrumors regular

for reservations, start at about 8:50, stay on the page that shows you unavailable for the store you want. hit refresh CONSTANTLY. apple-r, confirmation to resend form comes down, hit enter, repeat. Usually around 8:55 stock shows up. If they have the phone you want grab it, otherwise quickly go back to the locations page (click the first tab) and choose another store. Stock is all updated at once for a region so the instant you see something somewhere you need to pounce.

Did this a couple days ago, got my 4S easily.