So Dell still doesn't supply OS X Drivers for Printers?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LightDemon69, May 22, 2008.

1. LightDemon69 macrumors member

I have a Dell AIO 926 printer that we use on a desktop Dell XPS 400 Desktop running Windows XP Media Center Edition. I want to set it up so that I can print from that printer wirelessly from my iBook G4. I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with Vista Home Premium that can do this, but I can't find an OS X Driver. Does anyone know if there is a work around?

Currently, I have to transfer the file from my iBook to the Dell through our LAN, then either go to the Dell XPS and print the file, or use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection on my iBook to control the Dell and print the file. It gets very annoying after a while.

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Nope, no drivers I know of. Dell and Apple are kinda like mortal enemies, or at least Dell hates Apple.

3. LightDemon69 thread starter macrumors member

OK, that's what I thought. However, is there any way around this, like finding a driver for a similar printer, and editing it to work for the Dell one, or something like that? Also, it is running through the Dell computer, which has the driver, so do I even need the driver on my iBook or will it work by being "routed" through the Dell?

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Dell printers are more or less rebranded Lexmark printers.

If you can figure out what the equilivant Lexmark model is, you can probably use its driver.

5. LightDemon69 thread starter macrumors member

OK, thanks. Now onto the work. :p:rolleyes:

6. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

you ever find out which driver it is? I have literally the same printer.

7. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I think I found it.... it looks to be the "7100" series printer!

8. danny_w macrumors 601

The only Dell printer that I had was a 3100cn, and Dell did indeed have an OS X driver for it, but not for the (cheaper) 3000cn printer. So Dell DOES provide drivers for some of their printer, just not all.

9. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I used the 7100 series, but every time I print it just says could not contact the printer:(

10. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

Has anyone had any luck with a work around? Any comparable lexmark driver that does work?

11. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Go scan the linux forums. I looked for one for all in one dell I have. No luck for me but others were lucky.

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Dell. I mean they have the worst customer experience possible. They
    had to work to get it as bad as it is.

Imo a big part of it is how they treat their employee's. It's BAD. You are nothing but an expendable asset.

13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1

I work with a guy who worked for dell and he said it was the worst job hes ever had.

15. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Depends on were you live. In Europe Dell is the better one on customer care by far and Apple is in the dog house.

16. dizzy8578 macrumors newbie

Dell drivers for Lion

FYI: The dell 3100cn is the same as the lexmark optra color 1200 which has a downloadable driver file (drivers for lots of lexmark printers so it is huge) available on this site along with a list of printers included.

http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=content&id=OS21&locale=EN&userlocale=EN_US

Other Dell printers may have lexmark equivalents, google your model number.

Lexmark also has some utilities they are fixing to work with Lion that worked on Leopard.

17. ashameer macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nice find....just about 2 Years late....

18. twseal77 macrumors newbie

Updated Dell 3100cn driver package

For those of you still in need of the actual Dell drivers for 3100cn that work without rosetta, look no more. I have them if you need them. Basically i used parallels to install the Dell drivers on leopard, then i tracked down and moved all files to Mountain lion and tested. It works like a charm, just like the 'old' ones. The problem was never the actual drivers, but the packager Dell had them in. After testing, i packaged them into a new installer that works with non-rosetta OS (in my case Mountain Lion). You can use this to install like a normal installer and i built it to copy the files to the correct location. Mountain Lion even auto detected and installed the correct drivers after i did this. It works great!. Ping me if you still need the actual Dell drivers for this printer. Since i didn't know how to contact Dell feedback, i actually sent an email to Michael Dell explaining the problem and as not to violate any copyrights, I offered this freely and asked it to be updated on the Dell site. I will not post this for download for this reason, but if you need it individually, just ask and you shall receive.

19. Icedaddy macrumors newbie

I could sure use your drivers. My 3100cn has been fine up until now. I had my IMac hard drive replaced under the latest recall and my printer is one of several things that no longer work. Thanks in advance

20. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

I didn't even know dell made printers.

Apple uses an open source printing system that is used by Linux as well, so if your printer doesn't work under OS X it won't work under linux either.

Dell sucks.

21. gerrygraff macrumors newbie

Can you send me a copy of you Mountain Lion installer for the Dell 3100cn? I am using the Lexmark driver now, but it has a few quirks.

Thanks in advance

gerry@graff.com

22. Tron// macrumors newbie

I sure could use your installer! I have a new iMac on order and I would love to be able to use my 3100cn. It's been a great printer so far. Please send it to the email address on file. Thank you very much!

23. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

The don't make printers. They just take another company's printers and rebrand them by putting the Dell logo on it. All computer manufacturers have done this at one time or another.

In the Old Times, Apple also sold printers under the Apple brand, like their Apple LaserWriter.... which were essentially HP LaserJets that were Apple-rebranded.

24. Filly macrumors newbie

I'm asking...hope you are around and still willing to share.

Thanks.

25. Safarimac macrumors newbie

If your driver for the Dell 3100cn is still available, a copy would be really handy. Thanks.