Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chimp4me

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2016
Updated Dell 3100cn driver package

For those of you still in need of the actual Dell drivers for 3100cn that work without rosetta, look no more. I have them if you need them. Basically i used parallels to install the Dell drivers on leopard, then i tracked down and moved all files to Mountain lion and tested. It works like a charm, just like the 'old' ones. The problem was never the actual drivers, but the packager Dell had them in. After testing, i packaged them into a new installer that works with non-rosetta OS (in my case Mountain Lion). You can use this to install like a normal installer and i built it to copy the files to the correct location. Mountain Lion even auto detected and installed the correct drivers after i did this. It works great!. Ping me if you still need the actual Dell drivers for this printer. Since i didn't know how to contact Dell feedback, i actually sent an email to Michael Dell explaining the problem and as not to violate any copyrights, I offered this freely and asked it to be updated on the Dell site. I will not post this for download for this reason, but if you need it individually, just ask and you shall receive.

I would REALLY appreciate this driver repack. I know this thread is old but you would be doing me a HUGE favor! Thanks!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
You might try Gutenprint.

What is Gutenprint? Why would I want to install it?
Gutenprint (formerly called Gimp-Print) is a package of high quality printer drivers for Mac OS X, Darwin, Linux, BSD, Solaris, IRIX, and other UNIX-alike operating systems. In many cases, these drivers rival or exceed the OEM drivers in quality and functionality. Our goal is to produce the highest possible output quality from all supported printers. To that end, we have done extensive work on screening algorithms, color generation, and printer feature utilization. We are continuing our work in all of these areas to produce ever higher quality results, particularly on the ubiquitous, inexpensive inkjet printers that are nonetheless capable of nearly photographic output quality. Additionally, Gutenprint provides excellent drivers for many printers that are otherwise unsupported on Mac OS X.​

Gutenprint enabled me to print to a really old, unsupported HP plotter. My plotter wasn't on the list of supported printers in Gutenprint, so don't be discouraged if your printer isn't on the list. Gutenprint supports the Lexmark printer language which Dell uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.