Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Steve Jobs on the origin of iphone (courtesy of Flood from another thread)

I find this interesting as:

1) A few years back (2-3) Jobs stated desktops will always be around
2) Jobs stated it's important for professional that produce digital material to be paid for their work (fully agree, the advent of digital media has made it difficult)
3) Jobs now states that the advent of the tablet will/may eventually evolve into the main "computer" used and that people are "nervous" about PC's/Desktops going the way of the dodo.

Steve, riddle me this, how are professionals going to produce material/applications/movies/etc on under powered (currently, things change) and SMALL screens? HD content is tough enough on my 6-Core Mac Pro. Small screens? Yeah, no.

Focusing on iDevices, cutting out their three model ACD CCFL LCD's that were GREAT for pro's AND consumers who needed a screen for their Mac Mini or Mac Pro, Xserve, less OS X development (and no, Lion hasn't released as many developer/beta seeds as previous OS X releases), and combining iOS UI elements into the OS (I don't care if I can ignore it, but these features are taking focus off other area's such as R.I. and OpenGL 3.0+).

So for those claiming Apple isn't dropping focus on the professional market, there you go ;)

(and no, for the love of god, I'm not COMPLAINING, merely STATING, so please, complaints claiming I'm complaining are not only ironic, but a waste of everyone's time)

Last edited by a moderator:

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Jobs now states that the advent of the tablet will/may eventually evolve into the main "computer" used and that people are "nervous" about PC's/Desktops going the way of the dodo.

Source?

Of course, for most people, the desktop will evetually be replaced by a portable device. If you had told a company IT guy in the 70's his room-size mainframe would be replaced with more powerful computers on every employee's desk, he'd have laughed you off.

There will be a market for big workhorse computers. Whether Apple continues to serve that sector depends on their business plan. Apple no longer makes its own printers, because it was not profitable and other did it better. Time will tell.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009

Googling now, it was back in '08 or '09, but I recall him stating it.

Ugh, have to run and it figures google is bombed with the Jobs' latest comments.

I WILL find this comment, I WILL prevail :p

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Steve, riddle me this...
Do you think Steve Jobs is reading this? And even if he is, that he would want to respond?

If you have questions that you would like him to answer, send them to him directly. If you have questions that you want the members of MR to answer, address them appropriately.

o0samotech0o

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2008
much needed transition thread, was verging on being slightly off-topic :)

But I agree Apple is loosing their focus on the professional market, with the mass produced mobile devices - such as the iPad and iPhone, iPod Touch, and defocusing on powerhouse products that drove pro's to macs, such as the iMac itself - and do I see a slow increase in the amount of Pro application updates? the Mac Pro is also crumbling slowly.

This is all obviously part of Apples plan to be a purely mobile based company which is why they're trying to unify Mac OS X and iOS, SO that they can end up making the mobile device the CORE device, and plug it into other screens for a desktop use. There are problems with this, such as computing power. This is all speculation, but it makes sense from what Jobs has said, and financially it's cheaper to unify the OS's and have one team working on one OS other than two on two separate OS's.

Personally I don't see the fade out of desktop devices, as so many people depend on them to make a living and can't be with the meer power of the portable line they offer. Maybe you'll be given the option to hook up your portable device to desktops, but it doesn't mean to say that they're going anytime soon.

However Apple I guess can decide what they want to do with their line of products, but I think it could be a bad thing to move into a narrower category of just mobile devices, other than BOTH mobile devices and desktop devices. Financially, and in terms of productivity. :) :apple:

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Do you think Steve Jobs is reading this? And even if he is, that he would want to respond?

If you have questions that you would like him to answer, send them to him directly. If you have questions that you want the members of MR to answer, address them appropriately.

That comment was in jest, a reference to a very popular character, "The ®iddler." Any offense taken was not meant.

This is a forum in which everyone's opinion is accepted and should be respected without insulting others. Personally, I find your comment insulting. However, as yourself, I am interpreting your tone as it was not meant to be.

Now, let's kiss and make up and get back on topic ;) (again, being light hearted)

Patrick946

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
Steve, riddle me this

That comment was in jest, a reference to a very popular character, "The Joker."

Uh, are you sure about that? I seem to remember that catchphrase belonging to the Riddler. Haha.

Apple no longer makes its own printers, because it was not profitable and other did it better. Time will tell.

I had an Apple printer when I was a kid! It was incredibly loud and took forever compared to modern printers, but it was great at the time.

As for the topic, I'd say that desktop computers will probably eventually become less popular than laptops and tablet like devices. I can see having a portable tablet that is your "computer" with an external monitor and keyboard/mouse that it can pair to when you're at a desk. Or, if tactile feedback becomes good enough, you will be able to use the tablet for input and just have the bigger screen to work on. That's a long way off though!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
You are missing the point - Steve, on All Things D, compared desktop computers to trucks, and tablets to cars. He said that most people have cars today, as they are more practical to get around. However, a very important minority of people - i.e. professionals - have trucks, which are requires for transporting heavy stuff in large quantities.

The same way, therefore, Steve is implying that most people - the people who use their computer for Facebook 80% of the time, 10% of the time for YouTube and 10% for email and other stuff - will be using Tablets, as they are more suited for their needs, and they don't do all the extra things - such as serious video editing - that they don't need and don't want to pay for.

Professionals will still have desktops for their professional work. They'll also have a tablet for Facebook. That way, they can have a computer entirely focused on professional work, and one entirely focused on everything else. Best of both worlds for everyone.

The professional market is merely evolving. The Mac Pro still exists and I don't think Apple has plans to discontinue it. Just because they changed their Apple Cinema Display to have a glossy screen doesn't mean they're dropping the professional market. They are dropping the industrial level market, such as the XServe, but apparently there are better alternatives for it, which is why people didn't really buy it in the first place.

Lion is focused on bringing some consumer-oriented ideas from the consumer-oriented iPad into their OS. Don't forget that OS X is not a professional OS and it's not a consumer OS. It's the only OS Apple makes for computers. It has to work for consumers and professionals alike. They didn't do anything to distance themselves from professionals: Lion still does everything Snow Leopard does. They did, however, do things to please consumers. This makes complete sense. Lion is also for consumers. Most people who will use Lion will be consumers.

Take the example of DSLRs. 5 years ago, point-and-shoot cameras all had video recording, and DSLRs didn't. Every pro said "I don't need video recording, because this is a STILL CAMERA.". Then a year ago even the high-end DSLRs started getting video recording. Is this because Nikon and Canon are dropping the professional market? No. Hell they now shoot feature movies on DSLRs.

The consumer market is always the first to gain innovations, as it evolves faster, has more clients, and has a much greater variety of devices. The professional market always follows eventually, a few years later. It has always been like that. In a few years you won't even need a Mac Pro to do even the most high end stuff, because the difference in price will no longer justify the difference in hardware and expandability.

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Uh, are you sure about that? I seem to remember that catchphrase belonging to the Riddler. Haha.

LMAO DOH! It's called editing, I need to look into that more often :eek:

As for the topic, I'd say that desktop computers will probably eventually become less popular than laptops and tablet like devices. I can see having a portable tablet that is your "computer" with an external monitor and keyboard/mouse that it can pair to when you're at a desk. Or, if tactile feedback becomes good enough, you will be able to use the tablet for input and just have the bigger screen to work on. That's a long way off though!

As long as I have a large display or dual/triple display setup and a powerful enough system, docking a portable would be amazing. Imagine taking a device more powerful than my/a current 6-Core Mac Pro with you! This would be great for clients and for film editors, dock it to your large display array and HID's when working, take it with you when you need it.

Good point about how far tech has evolved. The iPhone surpasses old i386 systems from 10-15 years ago with CRT's and that god awful beige base. If the concept of desktop morphs without losing the power, then I am all for it. However, if Apple decides on dropping power users altogether…

I recall an article published in MacRumors about an Apple patent. It was a concept for a virtual keyboard w/ the ability to change inputs based on the open/used program, and had the ability to physically raise keys for tactile feedback. That would be incredible!

You are missing the point - Steve, on All Things D, compared desktop computers to trucks, and tablets to cars. He said that most people have cars today, as they are more practical to get around. However, a very important minority of people - i.e. professionals - have trucks, which are requires for transporting heavy stuff in large quantities.

I got the point, however this is about a completely different market that was once Apple's focus, which has changed considerably since 2007. Who is going to make the applications needed to sell through the iOS and OS X stores? Certainly not on an iPad or iMac for intensive OS X apps. :)

Some state that the professional market is small but this is a misrepresentation. Having worked in an architecture and design firm, we had 23"-30" CCFL LCD ACD's paired with PowerMac G's. Our small firm had about 20. Do the math. Businesses invest in bulk, lots of money. For example, Annie Leibovitz. My friend Rich was a photography producer with Vanity Fair/Vogue. Annie only used powers systems and OS X and ACD's due to their near perfect color accuracy. Now, I've been told she's transitioning away from Apple (and this has nothing to due with her finances regarding her partner Susan's cancer and the millions Annie spent on health coverage as the state of NY does not recognize gay marriage and the state taking half her assets after her passing).

My point, dismissing any market is bad business. Apple can make bank from businesses just in volume alone, however they decided on focusing on the average user. Perhaps this was due to MS's dominance of the business market and that most businesses will only invest in hardware they know will be covered as Apple has a history of keeping their market plans and development under wraps (Apple employees don't even know what their own employer is producing), which makes investors weary. However, dismissing the professional market isn't a solution. Apple revamped the mobile market, they have billions, just a small amount and they can lure businesses in with a more secure OS and solid support and hardware.

Lion is focused on bringing some consumer-oriented ideas from the consumer-oriented iPad into their OS. Don't forget that OS X is not a professional OS and it's not a consumer OS. It's the only OS Apple makes for computers. It has to work for consumers and professionals alike. They didn't do anything to distance themselves from professionals: Lion still does everything Snow Leopard does. They did, however, do things to please consumers. This makes complete sense. Lion is also for consumers. Most people who will use Lion will be consumers.

Yeah, Apple has always only produced one OS (aside from OS X Server, which is now boxed with Lion as Xserve is now gone), which is great (I remember Jobs making a jock about MS Windows and their pricing tier for differing OS's back when Leopard was released - before the iPhone ;) ). Your comment that Apple has kept everything from Snow Leopard into Lion is true, HOWEVER they have not added much needed features for professionals, much due to their focus on adding and perfecting consumer features such as the iOS "Launchpad." Apple has yet to work on OpenGL 3+, Resolution Independence was dropped in 2007 when it was included in a few of the developer beta's (and yes, it is possible, it's been done and Apple has had plenty of time to make it work), Xserve is gone and Apple will no longer support it leaving businesses who invested thousands screwed, and I don't care if mobile devices are the future. We NEED larger displays for work. Heck, my dual 24" setup is sometimes not enough when I'm editing in Final Cut Pro.

So there are two sides to this coin, and I agree on both, however Apple is dropping the professional market too soon. It's not a niche market, companies invest thousands in hardware and such. In fact I convinced a few businesses in NYC when I worked in Communications to go with OS X/Apple. They spent ~$20,000 for ONE small business. Had I known Apple's future plans, I would have recommended Windows NT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.