So disappointed... but not with Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalt, Sep 25, 2013.

1. kalt macrumors regular

So I got my beautiful 64gb silver/white iPhone 5S today, set it up, got it working, got all the apps/music/settings from my old 4S on the new 5S, and my email doesn't work with my gmail account (my primary email). It's still working great on the old iphone. I get a message saying "Cannot Get Mail - The Connection to the Server Failed." Still works on my iPad as well... only my new iPhone 5s can't connect to the server.

I found out that as of January, new devices can't work with Gmail as an exchange server. I have to have crappy old POP. No more push. When I delete an email on my ipad it will no longer delete it on my iPhone, and vice-versa. At best I can check my email every 15 minutes now.

All because google wanted to sabotage non-Android iOS.

This is so horribly disappointing. The functionality of the new iPhone has been diminished because of google. I didn't believe it at first, but I spoke to someone who would know and he confirmed this is what's going on.

I guess my battery will last a bit longer without PUSH email, but that's not a silver lining that will justify this crap.

Apparently this has happened to anyone who got a new iphone since January 30th.

Does anyone know ANY way around this? Apparently there's a Gmail app for the iphone that you can use, but I won't give them the satisfaction and Apple should ban it from the app store.

Other than this, the new iphone is wonderful, but i just lost what i considered an important, very useful feature. I've also lost a lot of respect for google.

2. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wait. When did this happen? I added my gmail to the 5S and have been using it the same way I used it on the 4.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Setup an iCloud account and forward all your gmail to it. Quit using gmail. I've had the same email address with my ISP for over 10 years and while I get a lot of email through it, all is forwarded to my me.com account.

4. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

If you had it set up as a regular gmail account nothing changed. If you previously had your gmail set up as exchange, you won't be able to continue using that on a new device.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

It works...it just times out if your phone pings it too many times. I stopped using Gmail a couple years ago as a result. Actually I didn't stop using it...I started forwarding it to my iCould account...now it works perfectly.

6. mbhforum macrumors 6502

Use Mailbox app, it's awesome and push friendly. Works great with my gmail account.

7. Preed08 macrumors regular

Wait, why not just download the gmail app on the all store? That's push..I believe

8. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

You don't have to use POP. Choosing "Gmail" in settings sets it up as IMAP, so it syncs across devices. However, you can only use fetch, and the most frequent option is 15 mins.

9. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

You can still get your emails from gmail via IMAP, just follow the setup steps (select gmail option at the beginning) on the mail app. At least that is not as ancient as POP, you can still manage your email account efficiently minus the push. (However, you can set it to fetch your emails at certain intervals.)

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Set it to IMAP and turn off Fetch.
    Download the Gmail app and set the notifications for it.

When you get an email, a notification from the GMail app will alert you. Go into Mail as usual.

11. MikhailT macrumors 601

What are you talking about, why are you using POP instead of iMAP? IMAP does everything you expect except for the push protocol. It will sync your read/unread, trash, and so on between all of your devices.

Here's how to set it up: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78892?hl=en

12. Spacial macrumors 6502

Actually half the reason I enjoy my iPhone so much is thanks to all the free apps and services from Google.

Apple is lucky that Google has contributed to the iPhones success.

Don't hate Google, be thankful they've done so much to improve the iOS experience.

Apples a terrific company, they build a good phone and Google makes the iPhone experience better. They're great partners.

13. ATC macrumors 6502a

This is Google's way to entice iOS users to its platform, an awful strategy IMO.

There are some good suggestions in this thread for the OP.

For myself I just stopped using GMail as my main account, I only give out my GMail account to entities and services that I expect spam or trash from, in which case the lack of push is actually the preferred option.

I have an outlook.com for my iTunes account, which finally added IMAP support two weeks ago.

For everything personal I have my main @me iCloud account and I have an alias set up on it for important non-personal stuff (like important commercial contacts). Works great and the important stuff are all push.

14. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

Gmail app, or if you have the old device, did you try turning on sync for email accounts?

15. kalt thread starter macrumors regular

I did use gmail in settings but it apparently only sets it up as pop. If it were imap i could use push and it does not sync across devices, i've tried it dozens of times now.

----------

And why should I have to download another program so my email is not all in one place, i.e. the native iOS email app? No, a second program for email is unacceptable i know that's nitpicky but it's 50% convenience and 50% principle.

I don't know whether the non-exchange "google" setting on the iphone is POP or IMAP but it sure seems like POP since it doesn't sync across devices. No push, and if i delete an email on my iphone or ipad, it no longer gets deleted on the other device.

This has completely ruined my day. I was so excited about my new iPhone and now i'm ****ing pissed off and feel pure disappointment. My software was sabotaged, plain and simple.

16. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

I restored my 5s from my 4s and everything is working as expected. I have gmail and it's still set up as a exchange client using m.google.com. Not really sure what you're talking about? My company does pay google for the mail service so that could be the difference. My personal gmail is forwarded to my iCloud which does basically the same thing.

17. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

http://nuevasync.com/

I am going to sign up with them to get my Push e-mail working again. I sent an e-mail to them as their website is outdated and their CEO e-mailed me back to say that they offer a trial and then the chance to sign up for $30 a year.

$30 is worth it to get my Push e-mail, contacts & calender sync working again.

----------

That is the difference. Google Apps for Business get Google Sync. Regular Gmail users with new devices after Jan 30th lost it.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/14/...-sync-exchange-support-for-gmail-calendar-and

http://www.zdnet.com/google-drops-exchange-activesync-support-for-free-email-accounts-7000008836/

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en-uk&hlrm=en&answer=2716936

18. mbhforum macrumors 6502

Google for business continues to allow Activesync and this is why it works for you. Btw, calendar and contact sync does work withy IMAP profile just the push notifications for email are delayed by 15 minutes at most. I use the Mailbox app for push and quick access and if I want to compose an email, I use regular mail client since I like that interface better,

19. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

IMAP does not use push, it uses Fetch (this is why people set up GMail using Exchange instead, to get Push). To see whether you are using IMAP or POP, go to Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars and click on your GMail account, then click on Account then Advanced, scroll down to Incoming Settings. Does it display IMAP Path Prefix? If so then it's IMAP.

20. melb00m macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure this should be the cause of the problem. Happened to me as well. Google removed Exchange/ "Google Sync" support, except for previously running devices. Now that you have a new device, Gmail will detect that and no longer support Active Sync.

Just remove your Gmail account from your new phone and set it up fresh. It will then be a regular IMAP-Account.

Here's more info:
    http://arstechnica.com/information-...-out-activesync-push-mail-for-free-customers/

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I've been using the Gmail app for six months now and removed it from the exchange account built into the iPhone. Its better as far as I am concerned and organises the email much better on the go.

22. kalt thread starter macrumors regular

I found that you can get a free account at outlook.com which works with push and lets you delete an email on one device and have it instantly deleted on others (and the main website).

I hate the idea of having to delete every email three times - on my ipad, my iphone, and in outlook on my PC. Though my iPad still works since I had it before Jan 30. But I like the email (my gmail accounts) being synced between my iphone and ipad. This ability has been stolen from me.

I'd pay $50 a year to keep doing it. It says something about that for business customers. I don't have a business acct with gmail and i don't see where to get that.

This crap has totally ruined my "new iphone experience."

And google's excuse for ****ing me over like this is that it will enable them to "make more beautiful products"... Seriously?

23. juswest macrumors regular

24. profets macrumors 68040

Yeah, pretty annoying that with a new device you can no longer get exchange active sync support. Outlook.com is probably the best option - activesync for mobile and IMAP for the desktop.

The business stuff is called google apps. I have a custom domain so I was able to enable it, but I'm pretty tired of google at this point.

25. TC03 macrumors 65816

No.

Use IMAP. It does not support push, but it syncs perfectly just like it used to with Exchange. Btw, if you add an account and chose Gmail, you automatically get the IMAP-settings.

I use the Gmail app for push notifications. Problem solved.

----------

Well this sucks because if you read an e-mail on your iPhone, it won't be marked as read on the web.

Forwarding isn't a solution. Best solution is to use the Gmail app for push notifications and set the Mail app as IMAP.

----------

My gosh, have you even read the replies? Like dozens of people said: use IMAP. Then everything syncs perfectly! The only thing that has been 'stolen' are push notifications, but the syncing still works (on a 15 min interval).

Really weird how you just ignore everything that people have been saying in this thread. Why bother starting a thread if you don't read the comments?