So, does the 2 GB data cap still exist?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MykullMyerz, Sep 2, 2010.

1. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I was wondering because when I upgraded to the iPhone 4, the Apple rep asked if I wanted the 200 MB data plan, the 2 GB data plan, or the unlimited data plan. Of course, I chose the unlimited data plan and when I logged into the MyWireless App to view my AT&T account information it showed me the list of features I have, one of which is the "Data Plan for iPhone." I clicked on the description and the first sentence read, "Data Plan for iPhone includes unlimited data in the U.S." It says nothing about a data cap.

So, with that said, I'm a little confused. Is there a data cap, and if so, why would it be 2 gigs if there's already a plan for 2 gigs of data? Can someone explain?

2. schwell macrumors regular

What did you upgrade from? If you already had an unlimited data plan I think they offer you the option to keep it.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The myth is that there is a 5 GB data cap, not 2 GB. There is no data cap, PERIOD.

4. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

You will constantly hear idiots who believe EVERYTHING they hear say there is a softcap of 5 GB. There is not.

5. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

^i dunno if that's so idiotic. They probably just confused it with Verizon which had problems getting sued for advertising unlimited data when it was indeed capped at 5.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Working for a cellular provider I can tell you that the T's and C's typically do state that there is a 5 GB limit. But do they enforce it? Rarely.

8. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I hit 5.6GB last month, AT&T came knocking at my door with guido bouncers and roughed me up for the 600MB overage. Knocked out my teeth, took my lunch money, gave me a wedgie and everything.

Nope. No cap.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

That is akin to me saying I work for Toyota but know what Ford's contract terms are. In other words, what your company may do is not necessarily mirrored by other companies

There is nothing in the T's and C's regarding the iphone and a 5gig soft cap for the unlimited plan

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Point out where it states this? There's been no evidence produced by either side.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, same big fat Italian dude with a baseball bat came to my house too.
    He said AT&T told him he had to break something:D

Shouldnt it be you pointing out where it states about the 5GB softcap on unlimited iphone data plans?
    Cant point it though, it doesnt exist.

12. winterny macrumors 6502

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp

If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly MB/GB allowance and additional data usage rates, you agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month; provided that, prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your Service.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

WRONG! Try again....that is for DataConnect plans....meaning aircards.

I have fought this battle, long and hard. You will not win.

THERE IS NO DATA CAP ON THE IPHONE UNLIMITED DATA PLAN

14. MykullMyerz thread starter macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Thanks guys, I'm glad you all cleared this up for me, because I was thinking what's the point of paying for unlimited if there's a cap on it? Not to mention, I'ma NetFlix junkie and love to stream movies and shows from wherever I can. So, this helps me rest easy.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

If you dig threw it AT&T has the right to charge you or terminate your serves if you are using excessive data or if you tether. Basicly when you cross 5 gigs it means that AT&T is more likely to start combing threw your account looking for unauthorized usage. I would not be surprised if they started cracking down harder on those people in the next year and pushing them to a teired plan. The people using 10 gigs a month will be amoung the to of the list.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The confusion from all of this stems from the fact that for a while, Verizon was advertising an "unlimited" laptop data plan that was in fact capped to 5GB. The Attorney General in some state (probably New York) intervened and made them change their advertising to reflect the true nature of the cap.

Shortly thereafter, AT&T started capping their new Laptop Connect customers to 5GB per month while still charging them the same amount ($60/month) as their grandfathered unlimited Laptop Connect customers.

Note that these are all about Laptop plans. Not smartphones or regular phones.

But people ignored that and began assuming that every "unlimited" plan actually had a 5GB cap to it.

This isn't the case though. If you are an on unlimited data plan, and your online account manager tells you it's unlimited, then it's unlimited. If there was a 5GB or 2GB cap, it will tell you this.

This is what a usage summary on AT&T looks like if your data plan is unlimited:

[​IMG]

And what it looks like if you have a cap:

[​IMG]

It's "through." And please stop spreading FUD.

Tethering and "excessive" data usage are two different matter altogether that shouldn't be confused. Yes, tethering isn't allowed under the T's and C's for unlimited plans and IF you are caught, they could do something about it if they wanted to. But there has not been a single reported instance of AT&T coming down on an iPhone unlimited plan user for using a large amount of data legitimately on their iPhones.

And people have definitely tried: there have been threads on other forums where people have streamed Pandora 24/7 because they had an axe to grind with AT&T and were under the false impression that this would somehow "get back" at AT&T. 7, 8 gigabytes later, nothing happened. At worst, they might've made data a little slower for other iPhone users unlucky enough to be on the same cell site, and they had an iPhone sitting around blaring music uselessly to no one, and they couldn't use it otherwise because it couldn't multitask at the time.

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I've dug through it with a fine toothed comb. Those statements ONLY exist on the data card plans, NOT the iPhone plans. It's that simple.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well excessive usage I know will get their attention. Cross 5gigs they will look a lot closer for things like teathering. Personally I think AT&T should just start throting people who are on unlimited after they cross 4gigs.
    Still unlimitted and the 3-4% of people killing the network will have their damage massively reduced.
    I think that is a great alternative and AT&T could start enforcing it with out any change to the contract

19. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Wasn't there some guy who was doing a stress test and got disconnected after hitting 100GB in a little less than a week? I remember reading about this somewhere but unfortunately can't find the article so I can't say this with certainty.

20. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I'm glad that there is so cap, even a soft one. I know I have used about 1.5 GB already and my month just started on the 29th. I've been doing a LOT more music streaming lately and a lot of Netflix usage also.

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Tons of people on here go over 5GB on a regular basis with not so much as a whimper from AT&T. There were some data usage threads going on for a while showing this.

22. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

That's right. On one of my iPhones last month I used 12GB and on another, I used 8. I usually use between 8-12 on two of three iPhones and have for well over a year. If there were a limit, they would have warned me long ago.

Unlimited is really unlimited on AT&T.

23. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

So right now we have unlimited data and you want AT&T to stop that and force us to stay under 4GB. Talk about being a hater.

24. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

When I look at the iPhone data plans the only ones listed are 200mb and 2gb. Is that any different from what you guys are discussing?

25. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

We're talking about the unlimited data plans. There have been rumors going around that claimed that the unlimited plans really had a 5GB cap on them and that is untrue.