So far, not impressed by Nehalem vs. last years Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Apr 7, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I hate to say it but the Nehalem Mac Pros are not any faster than last generation Mac Pros and especially Penryn Mac Pros being considered old now, I think I'm going to wait another year or so (at least until snow leopard is out) for something unbelievable is released.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

oh? why? it's gotta be faster than a MacMini. Just one of the MacPro's cores should beable to scare the living daylights outta the macmini....:eek:

3. NightwalkerUK macrumors member

Seriously, have you actually used one or just using the numerous threads on here slating them as your basis?

4. ZunePod macrumors regular

Seriously, the 8-core MP Outperforms an 18EHz Supercomputer (18^7Hz)

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Are you talking about raw performance or performance for the price?

Gulftown delivers 6 cores, is that good enough?

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You'll be waiting a long time. Next gen is just gonna see a die shrink, no major advancements. If you don't think they're fast then i argue you either aren't the target audience or your apps haven't been optimized to use the system to its full potential

In other words...don't expect it to surf the internet or fetch mail faster...that depends on your internet connection. Expect it to shave off a significant amount of time on video/photo editing/3D work, if the app is optimized.

...and i'll end with this. Following your other threads, it seems you are never truly satisfied. With you there's always something...no offence.

7. cmaier macrumors G3

I'm not satisfied with OP's unsupported assertions. I am going to wait for the next generation of assertions.

8. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Die shrink + 2 more cores (and more cache to match).

9. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I've purchased the 2.8GHz 8 core mac pro last year, added 16GB of RAM, 150GB raptor drive as boot used it for 4 months, waited for Nehalem and now disappointed about Nehalems increase pricing and not that much faster than last gen.

Basically in my position its either buy the last gen mac pro at a discount and go back to the speeds I was used to or buy the Nehalem for more $$ while its not that much faster.

I guess I'm just disappointed in general.

10. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Non taken, I do agree with you though I am very hard to satisfy.

11. grue macrumors 65816

What do you use it for?

12. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Encoding 1080p materials, probably use the hdd bay to keep all my bluray movies and act as a huge server.

I also run vmware fusion for a few apps under windows, basically massive amounts of d/ling from unison, transmission, constant uploading huge files, handbrake once in a while, visual hub converts for iphone (hdtv episodes and such), plex player, FCP (just been into it since last year), etc..

I do know that I use up a good amount of RAM with my daily usage pattern something around 15GB worth from when I had the 2.8ghz from last year.

I havnt been able to do half as much as what I've listed on with my mac mini of course as it is a temporary solution until I choose the right mac pro. But for now I'm starting to think I should target either a 2.8GHz last gen model or a 2.26GHz OCTO.

I could probably get by fine with a Nehalem Quad but why settle for fine when you can get overkill fastness.

13. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I guess my ultimate complaint is the pricing.

I can afford to buy it but I honestly thought it would cost the same as last years mac pro. But just because I can afford it doesnt mean that I'm willing to spend on it especially knowing that its overpriced.

I just feel that the Mac Pros were right on the $$ until this year. I mean the same price for a 17" mbp could get you a mac pro 2.8GHz 8 core beast you know? But now $500 more on top, maybe Woz or someone at apple noticed this difference?

I just cant get it out of my mind that a 2.26GHz cost $500 more than last years 2.8GHz model.

14. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

You shouldn't have sold your beautiful unibody MacBook Pro for a Mac Mini.

I think it stems from jealousy, a lot of them are mad they can't afford a Mac Pro so they come here to vent frustrations. It's like people who want a BMW M6 but can only afford BMW Mini Cooper so they try to make themselves believe that to get the same experience from the BMW Mini Cooper as the BMW M6.
    :eek:

15. jons macrumors 6502

LOL.

16. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Sorry to burst your bubble but I can afford even a 2.66GHz OCTO but spending $4600 is no easy task.

The 2.26GHz is easily doable but no matter how I look at it especially after owning a 2.8GHz from last year feels like I'm over paying $500 to actually downgrade.

When I was at the Apple store just the other day, I was there playing with the 17" mbp and thought to myself hey f*ck it just get the 2.26GHz mac pro + the 17" 2.66GHz mbp and be done with it.

But I came to my senses and realized I would regret it as I dont need that many computers.

Its so tempting to just buy everything. I have $5500 saved especially after selling my 2.8GHz fully loaded mac pro last year for $4300 but I just cant force myself to spend any money right now. Especially with this tough economy. I dont have any credit card debts (all paid off) everything is cool but I guess I'm cheap?

I think I'm just cheap.

17. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I am with you on this.

18. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Man, $500 bucks more.. you can buy another mac mini with that much.

I wish I could test the 2.26GHz and use it in real world usage before buying. I have a feeling it'll be a bit slower since the lower clock speeds as to the 2.8GHz of last generation. And paying $500 more dollars for that. Maybe I should have taken the $1899 deal for the 2.8GHz 8 core mac pro when I had the chance. :/

19. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I agree with you about the economy & saving money for a rainy day... I to I'm cheap... I'm cheap on other things such as instead of riding a car, i use my bicycle everyday... or eat cheap food like a salad or apples instead of meat... but not on computers.

PCs gives me rainy days all the time.

I to have no credit card debts... I think you should keep your Mac Mini for a year or two and only concentrate on saving for the top hi-end next generation Mac Pro.

20. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

/

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Allegedly so was Lorena Bobbitt, I think the phrase "never had one" was used.

22. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yay...even more cores that apps won't be able to use for a while

23. grue macrumors 65816

It's hardly Apple & Intel's fault that developers are lazy or incompetent

24. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

SL.