So far with 10.6.1...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joedavis34, Sep 10, 2009.

1. joedavis34 macrumors regular

My browsers (Firefox and Safari) have needed to be force quitted about 20 times.

Do I need to do a clean install of OS X 10.6?

This is getting annoying.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try clearing their caches.

Does it happen with particular sites? (Are they Flash/Java/?)?

3. joedavis34 thread starter macrumors regular

4. joedavis34 thread starter macrumors regular

5. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

What have you been doing on these websites when you're getting crashes on? Do you have any unusual programs installed that interact with Safari (such as adblockers or other, particularly, hacks)?

6. joedavis34 thread starter macrumors regular

nope

and I'm just basically opening up the pages and going to facebook or gmail...

7. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I just updated to 10.6.1 and have had no problems with Firefox, logging into gmail or facebook.

8. alleycat macrumors regular

No issues with Firefox here either. The point 1 update installed just fine.

9. joedavis34 thread starter macrumors regular

That's cool...Nothing has worked for me the past two days.

iTunes won't download 3.1.1 for my ipod touch either....

I've never had this much stuff go wrong with my Mac in a two day span before.

10. joedavis34 thread starter macrumors regular

just tried Opera (new installation) and it crashed as soon as I went to ESPN.com

11. alleycat macrumors regular

Weird. Big pic of the Steelers worked just fine for ESPN's website.

12. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

same exact thing: facebook, gmail, and youtube. its flash player. i know it iz. because i uninstalled it and gmail and facebook started to work but not youtube. then i reinstalled it and everything crashed again. my next step, was to bring back the older version of flash player from a couple of days ago (the version before the one that came with 10.6.1. still no luck. if this isn't fixed soon, i'm getting a refund on snow leopard >:you won't believe it. oddly enough, repairing permissions did the trick. it said permissions error with library/internetplugins/flash player so i assume that indeed was the problem hulu, gmail, youtube everything works now :)

13. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

If Flash Player is indeed the issue, I'd recommend looking at the excellent ClickToFlash. It blocks Flash Player content until you click on a grey placeholder box to tell it to load it. It also has several other neat features (mostly relating to YouTube videos currently), but the basic click-to-load-Flash is something I personally consider essential to browsing these days.

14. joedavis34 thread starter macrumors regular

It's flash... I just used that program and now everything works fine.

I'm glad you pointed that application out as well... That's a nice plugin.

15. cubedweller macrumors 6502

I had a really bad update to 10.6.1 after upgrading to 10.6 -- everything was just plain slow and all the animations were horribly jittery. I just did a clean install of 10.6 and updated to 10.6.1 without transferring or installing any applications and most of my problems seem to have been fixed, although the jerky transitions when using Spaces is still present. I really hope they fix this issue, it's extremely annoying. :(

16. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

You're welcome! A Flash blocker is one of those things I've ended up being unable to browse without after having used one for so long.

Considering the Flash problems with Snow Leopard in particular, the ability to load some YouTube videos as the H.264 versions (and play them through QuickTime) is a nice added bonus, too!

17. Wayne s macrumors regular

Thanks from me as well, I am still on 10.5 and my internet browsing has just got dramatically quicker.

18. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

I immediately un-installed ClickToFlash when my system froze while watching a Youtube movie with the H.264 codec, I had to perform a hard reboot.
    Maybe it doesn't partner well with GlimmerBlocker, who knows, but I don't bother finding out what may be the cause.

19. Axegrinder macrumors regular

Axegrinder

I've just had my first kernel panic on Snow Leopard. All I did was quit Safari and boom!

Never had any on 10.6.0, as soon as I "upgrade" to 10.6.1 I get problems. :(

I wonder how much damage is being done to Apple's reputation right now (and do they give a ****) !?

20. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

FWIW, I installed 10.6.1 on top of an upgrade to 10.6, and everything's working fine. In fact, I think I picked up a bit in speed. (I have only a Core Duo mini, so I'm running 32 bit. Could that be a part of the problem?)

mt

21. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

10.6.1 doesn't seem to like the Blackberry Desktop Manager for Mac beta. My MacBook wouldn't go to sleep on its own after installing the .1 update, and I tracked down the culprit using Console.

22. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

Still cant delete RSS feeds (They keep coming back) and still no year on the menu bar for the date !! Oh yea, mail still ignores the checked box for trust certificates....

23. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Dude, you've got bigger problems if you can't remember what year it is without seeing it in your menubar. :D

24. rbownes macrumors newbie

I have the same problem ........ how do I "repair permissions"?

25. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Run Disk Utility (in your Utilities folder). Select your hard disk. "Repair Disk Permissions" should be visible.

mt