So, for us lesser iPhone owners . . .

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dulaney22, Jul 2, 2010.

1. dulaney22 macrumors regular

you know, the ones with the sub-par 3GS, 3G or *gasp* original iPhone:D, what does this mean? Are we gonna be forced to install an update that gimps our otherwise perfectly working phone?

Of course that whole statement is ridiculous, but I do wonder if pre-4 phones are even considered and/or will be affected? If Apple has an incorrect formula for measuring signal strength, I wouldn't think it would make any difference which phone you are using, since the OS is the same. Thus, it would be a universal change to phones which exhibit no such problems. On that point, I have tried to make my 3GS drop just a single bar and it won't.

Thoughts?

2. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

first of all, if you dont have the latest and greatest apple device, you are not worthy.

but seriously, if you have a 3GS, def not. It runs iOS4 perfectly. as for the 3G, i think the slowness might be a bug and may be fixed, but if not, yeah youre screwed.

3. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

Signal is all over the place on the 3G I had for a week just like my iPhone 4. My 3GS has been steady/stable.

4. corrado007 macrumors newbie

I'm an iPhone 4 owner and I'm with you on this one. Apple is barking up the wrong tree. I had the 3G and 3Gs and couldn't get even one bar to drop either but with my new iP4 I go from 5 bars of service to no service when I hold the phone. Clearly this is not just a misrepresentation of signal strength caused by some software displaying one or two more bars than it should.
    You previous generation users also shouldn't have to update to software that will likely display lower signal than you did before as you don't even have a problem with reception.
    By the way, anyone looking for a good example of iPhone 4 reception loss can check out the video in my signature. Definitely not just too may bars being displayed Apple.

Huh, that's weird, no signature. Oh well. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miJZiw1enUU

5. jacollins macrumors 6502a

1) Original iPhone did not get iOS4 last I heard.
    2) You are not "forced" to load any firmware.
    3) On my 3G, I always subjectively felt that they screwed around with the bars after one of the earlier firmware updates. I seem to remember there being a lot of complaints about low numbers of bars, and after the update suddenly a lot of marginal places were 5 bars... So I think this will bring it back to the way it was, and the next topic for the forums will suddenly be all the area's AT&T isn't providing 5 bars in after the update...

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

7. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

No you won't have to update. I still think Apple made an incorrect statement this morning saying this affected all iPhone's since the beginning. I think this has only been a problem since iOS4.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I wouldn't worry about it. All the mac products that didn't exhibit a problem did just fine after an universal update that fixes the affected units.

9. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Supposedly the indicator is all over the place but the actual signal is steady (at whatever level it may be)