Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nc11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Got my SG 1.2/512 delivered today. Ordered yesterday from Costco :)

To get ready I started a time-machine backup update on my current 11" MBA, and went to open the box. Wow - this really is a nice piece of kit!

Got the rMB power plugged-in, moved back to the MBA, unplugged the backup device (Seagate freeagent), and.... and..... Doh! need a USB-C > USB adapter!;) What a let-down. Don't you hate it when you're new toy can't be used as soon as?!

Yes, of course I can start playing with it now, but what's the point? everything I'll do will be replaced once I get the time machine backup restored. I can get the basics going, but apps, data, settings, etc., do I really want to start over? don't think so.

Well, rant over. Adapter ordered on Amazon (thank god for next-day prime!), rMB is back in the box, and the MBA feels like ancient hardware in comparison now. At least I can work, I guess ;-)

MVPinFLA

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Boynton Beach, FL
I think most people will agree that Apple should have included the adapter in the box. My rMB arrives on Friday. I ordered a 3rd party adapter from Amazon to have when the rMB arrived, so I wouldn't have to experience your frustration. I also bought an Apple adapter from BestBuy to have in case the 3rd party one doesn't work. If the 3rd party one works, I can return the Apple one.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
I would have really appreciated Apple including an appropriate dongle or two to aid in convenient setup and transition to USB-C. Particularly with the painful 10.10.2 bug that caused difficulties with WiFi setup for many. But as I knew that going in I ordered a dongle supply along with my rMB (and the dongles arrived first).

With the Apple Digital AV adapter, and an Anker USB 3.0, three port hub with gigabit ethernet I have a mini docking setup that accommodates all my legacy (pre USB-C) devices and interfaces in a very small mobile form factor (really no more bulky or heavy than my MBA dongle collection).

Even over gigabit ethernet my Time Machine restore took over 6 hours to initially set up my rMB from my MBA. A WiFi restore would have taken much longer. And in my main work locations I do dock with an HDMI monitor, power, Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse, and wired ethernet. Now I only have to plug one thing into my rMB to dock (was three before on my MBA). And I appreciate the extra mobility of the rMB when not docked.

Looking forward to more ubiquitous USB-C items and wireless support.

amnichols10

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
I would have really appreciated Apple including an appropriate dongle or two to aid in convenient setup and transition to USB-C. Particularly with the painful 10.10.2 bug that caused difficulties with WiFi setup for many. But as I knew that going in I ordered a dongle supply along with my rMB (and the dongles arrived first).

With the Apple Digital AV adapter, and an Anker USB 3.0, three port hub with gigabit ethernet I have a mini docking setup that accommodates all my legacy (pre USB-C) devices and interfaces in a very small mobile form factor (really no more bulky or heavy than my MBA dongle collection).

Even over gigabit ethernet my Time Machine restore took over 6 hours to initially set up my rMB from my MBA. A WiFi restore would have taken much longer. And in my main work locations I do dock with an HDMI monitor, power, Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse, and wired ethernet. Now I only have to plug one thing into my rMB to dock (was three before on my MBA). And I appreciate the extra mobility of the rMB when not docked.

Looking forward to more ubiquitous USB-C items and wireless support.

I going to be getting mine soon and plan to restore from a backup via time machine. But I plan to do so wirelessly. There is a bug (10.10.2) preventing you from doing this?

Reactions: burgman

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Got my SG 1.2/512 delivered today. Ordered yesterday from Costco :)

To get ready I started a time-machine backup update on my current 11" MBA, and went to open the box. Wow - this really is a nice piece of kit!

Got the rMB power plugged-in, moved back to the MBA, unplugged the backup device (Seagate freeagent), and.... and..... Doh! need a USB-C > USB adapter!;) What a let-down. Don't you hate it when you're new toy can't be used as soon as?!

Yes, of course I can start playing with it now, but what's the point? everything I'll do will be replaced once I get the time machine backup restored. I can get the basics going, but apps, data, settings, etc., do I really want to start over? don't think so.

Well, rant over. Adapter ordered on Amazon (thank god for next-day prime!), rMB is back in the box, and the MBA feels like ancient hardware in comparison now. At least I can work, I guess ;-)

Hope you ordered the real Apple adapter as many who bought a 3rd party adapter found out that it does not work.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Yes, yes yes. It's one thing to go way out on a limb with this crap, and it's another thing to neglect to at least put an adapter in there.

What were they thinking?

But, $10 Amazon. Wtf. (Somebody is happy about this ):rolleyes:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Are you going by posts on this forum, or Amazon reviews?

Cuz, those Amazon reviews can be worthless.

I am going on a few threads I have read in this forum where people purchased 3rd part USB-C to USB plugs and THEY DID NOT WORK. I apologize as I go back and read them and they were from eBay. My error.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I am going on a few threads I have read in this forum where people purchased 3rd part USB-C to USB plugs and THEY DID NOT WORK. I apologize as I go back and read them and they were from eBay. My error.

No error there. Ebay, Amazon, are all the same I would imagine. Could be hit or miss. Best to perhaps pay little more if you don't like gambling. I don't know.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Dwayne82

macrumors member
May 16, 2015
Switzerland

But you know what you're buying before you buy it, right? Lets think the other way: Assuming you want to buy a external HDD-drive for your new Macbook. You don't go to the store, grab the first HDD you see, get home, unpack it and, surprise, surprise: it's a Thunderbolt-HDD (or USB 3.0) and you can't use it (at all)... this would never happen, right? So why didn't you informed yourself before the purchase and added a dongle to your Shopping-Cart for this special need?

I think most people will agree that Apple should have included the adapter in the box

I Disagree! First: They would have to admit, that the new connector doesn't work alone. Second: I don't want to hear the complains of those, wo didn't wanted all these adapters and had to pay for them "because the new Macbook would have been surley more inexpensive and i why did they choose to settle (please insert any adapter) and not (please insert another adapter)"
I for myself decided to buy a simple USB-c to USB 3.0, but i use it only for print at work. For data-exchange, i have also an USB-C/USB3.0-Stick

I going to be getting mine soon and plan to restore from a backup via time machine. But I plan to do so wirelessly. There is a bug (10.10.2) preventing you from doing this?

The bug COULD prevent you to restore your time machine backup at first boot. If this happens (Beachball of death for longer than 45min) then you can hard-restart your machine, and at the second try, it will work smoothly (depending on your wireless setup and the size of your backup, it could last 8+ hours)

Reactions: amnichols10

nc11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013

There's plenty I could do wirelessly but with almost 240gb to transfer that would have taken a while...:)

nc11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Are you going by posts on this forum, or Amazon reviews?

Cuz, those Amazon reviews can be worthless.
Always go with Amazon reviews. Some are crap but most are honest and helpful.

nc11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
hold up hold up. Where did you find this at Costco??
There we go. Someone finally spotted this! :) I couldn't believe it myself, so called and ordered. Got so excited I forgot about the adapter issue...

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver

As someone already mentioned, if you set up WiFi on initial boot to do a wireless migration, under 10.10.2 the machine can hang for an extended period of time. Some say forever, some say 25 minutes, some it works the second time, some it doesn't. Some say no to WifI setup on boot, set up a temp account to boot into then configure wifi then run migration assistant from that account. Some folks install OSX (10.10.3) from the recovery partition (need ethernet adapter) and then do a Wifi migration. Lots of different stories out there.

I had a fresh TM backup on a USB 3.0 SSD to be able to do it as fast as possible while avoiding the WiFi bug, but when I plugged it into the Digital AV adapter the rMB wouldn't recognize it. Thought it was some USB version issue and was ticked. So plugged in a USB Gigabit Ethernet dongle into the Digital AV adapter tried to restore from my Time Capsule. It started ok but maybe an hour later the rMB rebooted for no apparent reason. Looked like it couldn't recognize its SSD. So rebooted from recovery partition and repartitioned the SSD and installed 10.10.3. Rebooted and tried a second attempt to restore from my time capsule. Worked although it took 6+ hours.

Later I tried my SSD on another machine and it wouldn't recognize it either. Thought the rMB somehow killed it (really ticked now) or it just failed at a freakishly inopportune time (cause I had just finished a fresh backup to it earlier that day). Talked to the manufacturer to get it replaced and found out sometimes SSD's look like they die but cycling power to them 20 minutes on / 30 second off a few times they can sometimes come back to life. Sounded like BS to me but I did the power cycle thing and after one cycle the SSD came back to life, the drive mounted, the TM backup was still on it an intact. Weird.

Anyway, a wholly unpleasant experience thanks to Apple's buggy software and bleeding edge hardware. Thought I knew what I was getting into and had a plan around it, but they managed to bite me anyway.

Love the rMB even after that though. A great replacement for my 11.6" 2013 MBA.

amnichols10

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
Ok. I'll be doing the back up wirelessly no matter what. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

john0011

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
Idk about apple including a USB-C to USB-OLD adapter. Apple has normally promoted new technology, and has actually blocked old technology. remember the Flash wars on iPhone? Apple said HTML5 was the way of the future, and "forced" many company developer to adopt and evolve; they were right btw. Same for USB, that old port has been around way too long taking up WAY too much space on laptops for years now.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Funny Stuff in a way (no, not really)
Seems the best way to use Apple's new Shiney! is to set up new and don't try to transfer anything the old way via a "Cable" of any sort. Got the message loud and clear. The darn thing even pings like an iPhone when you plug the power brick in ;)

OK, so it's doable, but you better have apple's dongle (funny word Dongle..i.e. Dong!)

Agree - All the USB C stuff from 3rd party vendors is a crap shoot - bring your wallet and don't blame the early scalpers for trying to make a buck - they always do. Fool me once and all that Jazz.

Have A Better One Guys

john0011

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
Funny Stuff in a way (no, not really)
Seems the best way to use Apple's new Shiney! is to set up new and don't try to transfer anything the old way via a "Cable" of any sort. Got the message loud and clear. The darn thing even pings like an iPhone when you plug the power brick in ;)

OK, so it's doable, but you better have apple's dongle (funny word Dongle..i.e. Dong!)

Agree - All the USB C stuff from 3rd party vendors is a crap shoot - bring your wallet and don't blame the early scalpers for trying to make a buck - they always do. Fool me once and all that Jazz.

Have A Better One Guys

I did get the USB-C to male USB-A from the Chromebook store and that does work well. Tested and you can charge the rMP from computers USB port, so .5w, but only with the lid closed/sleeping; similar to (at least the original) iPad could charge on a computers USB but only when "off." It's dirt slow btw, may save you at work or something but my test indicated it would take 24 hours to fully charge from 0% to 100% via .5 watt computer USB-OLD connection. However, you can buy that cable, and ANY 29w USB-OLD wall charger if you want to charge like the Apple USB-C wall charger, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.