So how "bad" are the cracking problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Admonitor, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Admonitor macrumors regular

I'm just about to buy a Macbook with the UK Back To School offer. Seeing as I can't see the new models being included in the offer, or I just might need to get the computer sooner rather than later (very soon), I was wondering how bad these "cracking" problems actually are.

I've heard of a few people say their Macbooks have cracked in places - is this through careless use (I'm very careful with my equipment), or just regular use?

2. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I had my MacBook for a few months of careful ownership (although I hit it when it gets on my nerves) and there are no cracks, although the top of it (when its closed, ya know, the back of the screen) is scratched as much as the back of my iPod touch! :p

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Why would the new models be excluded - the UK Back to School Offer defines qualifying products as a Mac computer (other than the Mini)...so the new models will be part of the offer and possibly cheaper than the current line-up (and/or better specs)..

Hold off for a couple of weeks - I think it will be worth it.....

4. Admonitor thread starter macrumors regular

5. Admonitor thread starter macrumors regular

TBH I'm just not sure whether they would or not. I can just imagine them finding a way out of it :p

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

7. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

My brothers has cracked at both sides. He uses it as a laptop should be used; it's taken to university occasionally, sits on the sofa at night, and spends the majority of its time on his desk hooked up to his monitor.

It is an issue - Apple has, in one form or another, recognised it as such - so just be careful. My brother definitely isn't careless when he closes the lid, and it's still broken the palmrest in two places, so be very gentle.

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

4 friends have them--no cracks. I have had 2--- no cracks. My wife has had 2--no cracks. I think a lot of people are careless (they will lie and say they baby it or whatever) and of course there has been some legit problems as well. Apple will fix it though.

9. Admonitor thread starter macrumors regular

10. msft138 macrumors newbie

msft138

Yep I had mine for almost a year now and no cracks either, it kind makes me wonder what people are doing to get them.

11. iWaldo macrumors member

I've had mine for a few months, and it has a hairline crack below the vent at the rear. I'm extremely careful (overly careful, even) with it. Though it's a refurb, so the crack might have been there from day 1.

12. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Buying a poorly made laptop. :\

13. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

The first batch of Macbooks had a cracking issue on the front right of the case facing up. The notch on the lid would crack the edge under your right hand. Apple replaced my case twice without so much as a funny look because it was a common issue on at least the first 1.83 Core Duo models. This laptop is literally babied stays in the apartment on a table. At work we have had no cracking issues with recent Core 2 Duo models so I would say you're safe.

14. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

I have had my topcase replaced twice for cracks, and my macbook was just returned from service with a NEW CRACK!!! Its in the Display Bezel. Im not Happy.:mad::mad:

BTW i baby my macbook. Unlike my friend nick wong....he drops it everywhere and he has had no cracks? But a loose hinge, loose plasitic on display bezel and topcase.

15. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Well, my first MacBook had the "typical" keyboard crack about 3-5 month's of purchase. It was replaced under warranty. Then hairline crack's were all over my MacBook making it look like if it was about to break in a million pieces. About a week or two that I noticed the hairline crack's they keyboard cracked again. I contacted Customer Support and a guy told me that they were going to replace my MacBook.(which they never did) So I was there. Really mad:mad: and with a cracked MacBook. I have to mention that I didn't did any intensive work of any kind on it. It was treated very gently.

16. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I've had the same experience as the above two posters. It can be quite upsetting.

17. ansalmo macrumors regular

I have a couple of the original MacBooks (1.83 Core Duo) in the household. One travels daily to work and back, the other stays at home but is used on the sofa every day (plenty of picking it up and supporting the entire weight by just one corner too). Not a single sign of cracking.

The backlight on one of them is looking like it's not long for this world though.... :rolleyes:

18. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

The first gen 1.83 macbooks also had a DC inverter issue that would cause the screen to flicker. Ours has been in for this twice as well. Each time they just go flicker, repair. Not like when my imac had the most frelled up graphics corruption, and they were checking everything software and I'm like it's dropping green pixels off the mouse, this is hardware guys. Which it was, they eventually decided it was bad GFX Ram or something.

19. ec51 macrumors 6502

Not true. I have a March 2008 Crackbook. I am EXTREMELY careful and have the Incase which goes into another laptop bag and everything. I have hairlines cracks on the bottom near the vents and now have the infamous palmrest cracks starting.

And to all of those people who say, "oh you must all be lying about not being careful..." - I have more expensive things - like Masterbuilt Fender Strats which cost around $4,000, which I am extremely careful with - so dont tell me I am lying - these cracks appear out of no where and for those of us effected, they appear in the SAME PLACES. Can you say design defect?

--- Disgruntled and waiting for the new MB to surface

Eric

20. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i've had two macbooks, a black model and a white model, and neither had cracks. i know cracking is an issue for some, but i've personally not seen it.

21. zerohp macrumors member

I have a white macbook that work gave me, first of the core 2 duo so its a couple years old now. No cracks.

22. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

is there a way to prevent the cracks? Besides the obvious ;)

I just ordered a Blackbook

23. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I had a blackbook for aabout 18 months. Replaced it with another earlier this year. Neither cracked.

My friend has a white macbook and treats it like cr4p... no cracks.

24. ec51 macrumors 6502

There's the proof that it just depends on the batch of crappy plastic that Apple has made for them.

25. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Bad enough to guarantee that it will happen to ALL macbook's eventually. :D