Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foamer

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
My 1.5yr old macbook had cracked at both the front left and right sides. Took it in, they replaced the top cover....

6 months later, it happened again, PLUS one started forming along the right side, AND above the iSight.

Computer was taken care of and spent 90% of the time on the desk with gentle opening/closing of the lid.

I was sick of dealing with it, so I sold it, and bought a new 24" iMac.

rinifer

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
My MacBook cracked after about a year of use. I took it to Apple (under the AppleCare Plan) and they fixed it right up. I think it's an issue with the stress of the magnets, so the cracks are from use, not malcare.

kixsand

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007
Toronto
I only had my macbook for 3 months or so when it cracked on the left side of the palm rest area. I think the problem is with the two ridges that are on the top of the monitor -- when you close the computer those two ridges work against the edge of the palm rest until it cracks.

The crack on my macbook was quite minor but when I had it in the store to show the Genius' the girl beside me had quite a well used and grimy looking macbook that had brutal cracks on both sides -- looked like someone had taken a screwdriver to the palm rest!

Apple repaired it for me free of charge obviously but it is still a hassle taking it in to have it diagnosed and then returning to leave it for repairs and then returning once again to pick it up.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
isn't the macbook made out of the same material as the ibook? If so why does it suffer from cracks and the ibooks didn't

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
isn't the macbook made out of the same material as the ibook? If so why does it suffer from cracks and the ibooks didn't

The iBooks were thicker and used a latch, the MacBooks use strong magnets causing pressure on the casing.

They both use very different design.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
The iBooks were thicker and used a latch, the MacBooks use strong magnets causing pressure on the casing.

They both use very different design.

Oh ok I have an ibook too but I never took it out to compare and contrast with my macbook. Thanks for that info

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
slight cracking on mine - on the base at the back - where the hinge 'cut out' is - at each corner

only noticed it because all these posts made me have a look :rolleyes:

not bothered by it - but i guess i will keep an eye on it now :p

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
when you close the computer those two ridges work against the edge of the palm rest until it cracks.

Is it possible to maybe shave those 2 ridges? After a little bit of thought...the screen would possibly touch the keys. I'll post anyway to see if anyone has anything to say about it.

Or possibly removing the ridges and replace with something else?

priller

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2007
Had mine since February, don't even have a proper desk so it's constantly being open & closed to move around the house. no cracks yet.

ansalmo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2005
I have a couple of the original MacBooks (1.83 Core Duo) in the household. One travels daily to work and back, the other stays at home but is used on the sofa every day (plenty of picking it up and supporting the entire weight by just one corner too). Not a single sign of cracking.

The backlight on one of them is looking like it's not long for this world though.... :rolleyes:

Just to follow up on this one - the hard drive in the flickery MacBook died :(

But on replacing the drive, the flickering has gone :)

toontra

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
Just to follow up on this one - the hard drive in the flickery MacBook died :(

But on replacing the drive, the flickering has gone :)

Give it a few days/weeks before celebrating. My flickering goes away for periods, especially after being unused, but creeps back again. I've had the inverter replaced twice and it always re-appears.

BTW glad I read this thread. I have cracking on the right hand palm rest and it's good to know I can get it replaced under Applecare.

This would also have helped the re-sale value if I had sold it on ebay as I was planning to do to fund a new MAcbook, but the no-firewire issue and the rip-off UK pricing have put an end to that idea!

dougnewman

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Long Island, NY, USA
I now have right-hand palmrest cracking for the second time... Frankly appalling. I will get it fixed under AppleCare.

No cracking elsewhere but the case has become very stained - I am going to try to get that replaced too as there is no reason for it to have turned a blotchy grey and none of my friends' MacBooks are like that!

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
You don't need apple care to get it fixed...
Long story short.

Brouht a early 2007 macbook c2D from ebay which was origionally a refurb model.

It already had a slight crack on the right side of the palm rest. After about a months use a crack developed on the left side too.

Phoned apple yesterday told them all this gave them the serial and have been told to take it to a certain Authorised Reseller near me and they will replace the top casing for free.

Took it in last night and should get it back the weekend.
Good job apple!

harisdmac

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
> 2 years refurbished blackbook and no cracks at all. Just the mousepad shows signs of heavy usage and the mouse button some times does not respond properly, but thats functional. No problems with the case at all and it is my workstation, meaning that it operates 12 hrs/day with a lot of moving, closing/opening lid

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
My MacBook (late 2007 model) had cracking problems when it was 5 months old. I never dropped or bumped it on anything, so I don't know how the cracks formed. Anyway, I got the bottom casing replaced and I don't have anymore cracking problems to this day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.