So how do I actually go about using Istatpro...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Texxy, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

I have a brand new 17" MBP with a new OWC SSD in it. It is running perfectly but I want to use Istat as much as I can.

I mean the general stuff I get on it but how am I supposed to know what a good speed is that my fans are running at? What is supposedly a bad speed?

I have 8GB of memory...is my memory usage good in the pic I attatched?

What should my temps of the comp be at?

Sorry for SUPER NOOB QUESTIONS but this is what the forum is for.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Your harddrive temp is a bit worrying, but i dont think thats accurate other wise you'd certainly be feeling it. Your ram is fine. I use istat to check cpu and ram so i can tell which im lacking in and try to amend it

Are your temps in celcius or fahrenheit?

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

2000rpm is the idle fan speed. It goes up to 6000rpm if your CPU gets really hot.

In order to see how your ram is doing, you need to use activity monitor and see how many pageouts you have. Ideally, you want page ins to be high and page outs to be comparatively low (page outs are when you run out of ram, so you have to cache to the hard drive).

5. ThemacNub macrumors regular

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Ah i forgot about that. Good point :)

7. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

They are in Fahrenheit I should have stated that :p
    What are page ins outs?

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, ignore that hard drive temp, it will never be right, since the SSD likely doesn't support SMART, or at least the temperature bit of it. There's not really a bad fan speed, it's just based on how hot your computer happens to be. It's really most useful for just a quick check of stuff like how much RAM you have free (6GB free is a LOT) or what network speed you're getting or how much CPU you're using. You don't need to constantly monitor it unless you notice that something is different.

10. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

Alright I read that and realize that it is better to have higher ins than outs. Like on my Istat it says I have 871,379 IN's and 0 Outs. That does not make sense to me. Why no Outs? What is the In # generated from? Is that Megabites?

Also here is a pic from the activity monitor saying I have lots of Ins but no outs. When will outs be shown?

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Page ins are just the data that the computer reads into memory from the hard drive. You don't have any out since you have (more than) enough memory to handle whatever you happen to be doing. Page outs aren't a good thing as that means the computer ran out of space in RAM and has to offload some of it to the hard drive, causing slowdowns.