So how do you justify to your self stealing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lamarak, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lamarak macrumors 6502

I understand that Ill get attacked for this but Im reading all these ways to tether for free, jailbreak for this or that. Im just curious how you justify stealing a service from a company just because you feel that you are entitled to it for what ever reason. If the company is such a rip off, why dont you take your business elsewhere.
    Now I completely understand jail breaking to some degree, but to do it to steal services from a company is no different than somebody than tapping into your house for free cable or wifi, something like that. You cant tell me you wouldnt be mad if a year down the road someone did this to you and they got free service off you while they you payed for it. How are you any different than the people that pay ATT for tethering honestly while you steal it?

I dont like the way ATT has it set up, but is is their company. And just because I feel they should give a service like tethering for free, doesnt mean they have to. So flame away and justify taking a service like tethering for free when there are people out there that pay for it honestly.

2. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

When you pay for unlimited data, you should be able to use that data however you see fit.

Simply put, how does AT&T justify stealing from subscribers?

It's not like stealing cable, because it isn't stealing if you're paying for it!

3. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

First tethering isn't a "SERVICE" but a "FEATURE"

Second the service is the data plan which you are paying for anyways.

Third it comes built into your phone, so how is it stealing when it's already on the device you purchase?

Fourth AT&T disables it so they can charge you extra for a feature that DOESN'T cost them anything extra, 1 bit of data on iPhone is the same as a PC. So worst case it's a victimless crime.

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I don't do it, so I don't have to justify it.

I like the rationalization given above. Since they provide unlimited data they can steal it. :) That is essentially, I can do what I want, and I don't care so FU.

It is a rationalization based on a sense of entitlement that is not deserved.

I guess if I pay $10 a month for lifeline cable and steal all the premium channels it is not stealing either, because I am paying for it.

With AT&T they offer a specific plan for tethering that costs a certain fee. They in no way shape or form make available as part of the normal data usage the ability to tether. That should be clarity enough for anyone to know what they are doing is wrong.

People will justify pretty much any crime. Serial Killers and Mass Murderers can justify their actions, so when people steal from AT&T it is not hard for them to justify it, even if they are wrong.

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I don't feel that I have to "justify" anything. If I did, I'd probably go with this: I paid the MyWi people for the ability to tether, and I'd gladly pay my provider if they offered that option. As it stands, they do not. In the meantime, I don't feel the least bit guilty about expanding the capabilities of my phone.

6. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

think of it like buying a pizza.
    so you go into to att pizzeria, and you buy a large pizza, one that you could never eat by yourself.
    so you eat a few slices while your there, but you don't want this pizza to go to waste. You ask for a box, but your server informs you that large pizza's aren't allowed to be taken to go. only small, or medium pies are allowed to leave the pizzeria.
    you're like, WTF! i just paid for this large pizza that i could never finish by myself! so you just leave with it. you already paid for it, it's yours why can't you bring it home, to eat with friends and family?

kinda crappy analogy. but it's kinda the same thing.
    we just want to eat our large pizza with more than one plate.....

7. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

For the record, I don't tether.

Also, even though I'm jailbroken, I pay for all of my apps.

I am not a thief.

8. Lamarak thread starter macrumors 6502

If your not paying ATT for tethering your stealing. They do offer it as a service so its there for you if you really need it. I have not seen any one say how they are different stealing cable or wifi from you because you can afford it and they cant or dont want to since your paying for it already.

And what do you tell people that pay for tether honestly and how your above the rules than them?

9. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Very off topic, but why order a large pizza, if you knew you woudlnt finish it :/

Guess thats Americans :p

10. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

att doesn't allow anyway for me to tether my iphone to my ipad. when and if that ever happens, i'll pay for it. i'd like to be on official firmware.

I'm just american trash.

11. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

And why do you think the rules AT&T sets are somehow fair, ethical, legal or even set in stone?

You tell those people they are tools for believing everything a corporation does/says.

12. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Breakfast for tomorrow!

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

In America we think about sharing with family and friends so they too can enjoy. :)

14. Steveo47 macrumors regular

i dont see how ANYONE can pay for tethering. Im on Telus in canada and i get it for free. I dont see how they can justify making you pay whatever they make you pay every month for something everyone else gets for free. If i was on AT&T i wouldnt feel bad at all.

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Large pizza's are generally the cheapest... I even asked my pizza place if I could get a small pizza for the large price and they were confused and ultimately just sent me a large.

16. bobright macrumors 601

What are you guys that tether using it on? Has anybody tried using it for say internet on a PS3, not gaming but like web browsing?

17. Lamarak thread starter macrumors 6502

Your are not forced to use ATT. Its not a right to have a cell phone but a very nice convenience. If dont like their rules go elsewhere. Your point has no validity to it at all.

Its your point of view off entitlement that is a tool. With your views, we can break any rules or law because we dont agree with it.

18. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

it's not against the law to jailbreak. it's 100% legal.

19. Nadazilcha macrumors newbie

To be quite honest about it I really did not think beyond using a device to its full potential when I jailbroke. Tethering is just a bonus with zero guilt. I hardly think pitchforks and fire up your ass will be the end result.

20. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I currently don't use a jailbroken iPhone, but jailbreaking is perfectly legal. Therefore, tethering without buying it officially is also legal. So what's the deal?

21. kannesss macrumors 6502a

22. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Tethering is included in a lot of packages for other phones, why not for iPhone? How is that ethical or fair?

23. Lamarak thread starter macrumors 6502

I do find it funny how all of you justify it. There are many uses of jailbreaking that does not steal service that are great.

If there is nothing wrong with what you are are doing, I dare you to call ATT and tell them that you tether for free because you feel it deserved. If you cant do that, then your being hypocritical and are stealing because you know it is against their policy and they can shut you off. And there would be nothing you could do about it.

24. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

There you go again...

We have been jb for years (not just iPhone) and tools like you have always been talking about how it's illegal or wrong just because it violates a ToS.

...wake up dude, despite what a corporation may try to teach you, ToS =/= ethical or legal.

25. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I don't justify myself stealing. I'm in Canada so I get free tethering. My iPhone 3G was jailbroken... currently my iPhone 4 is not jailbroken but I never pirated any apps. All my apps were downloaded through the App Store free or paid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.