So, how do you use your iMac? (Professionally)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by driftless, Jul 9, 2012.

1. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Frankly, I am tired of hearing about about when and what changes will be coming to the late '12 or so iMac. How, do you currently use your iMac with NO REFERENCE TO THE CHANGES YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE WITH THE NEW REFRESH. Professional usage preferred, no gamers nor students.

2. Entopia7 macrumors regular

Bit of an odd topic, but I'll bite and give an odd answer.

I use my iMac for graphic design for print media of all kinds, audio recording for radio and television spots, custom drill design for high school marching bands, and writing and arranging music for an area church.

Also, Starcraft 2.

Yeah, kind of a weird mix of things once you write it all out.

3. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

Weird is good. Great detailed, first post. Love the marching band design. Thanks.

4. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

I use two iMacs as point-of-sale lanes at a retail boutique shop that I own, running Light Speed Retail POS software. There's a Mac Mini Server in the back of house anchoring the system.

I use one iMac for legal writing and nonfiction writing for a primary living, as well as ancillary business use, and then various recreational uses when I'm not working (editing video, editing photos, web, docs, household media server).

5. LaCobra macrumors newbie

I am an illustrator

I currently struggle with an eMac. :( but it doesn't slow me down one bit.

If i had the money right now, I would pull the trigger already.

I have no choice but to wait, Im getting a nice amount of loot at the end of august. So if by then. if there is still no new iMac. I don't care. I will buy the current one. I have bigger worries than USB 3.0

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I use my iMac for video and music production and photography editing. It's a 2011 maxed out 27" and with the recent addition of a Pegasus R4 for real-time edits I'm happy with it.

FWIW it has one game installed...:)

7. LachlanH macrumors regular

We have ordered a 27" 2011 iMac at work mainly for using ARD in the office to monitor @ manage 100 student Macbook's, as well as some ipad managment using Casper.

We also have a Macmini server running DeployStudio for imaging our Mac and PC laptops.

I have occasionally done some light image/video editing (nothing 'professional', im talking basic iMovie stuff here) for staff on my Macbook Pro which in future will be done on the iMac.

Oh the Macmini Server also is setup as a minecraft server.

8. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I do translation work, so while processor-wise it may be overkill, the 27 inch screen is downright impossible to beat when you need numerous windows open at the same time. I need at the absolute minimum two browser windows (one for dictionary, another for relevant info to the topic I'm working on) though usually that becomes four or five on average. I use the real estate to minimize mouse usage, personally.

And on the weekends, I flip over to Windows for my Ys fix.

9. sainsburys macrumors regular

I will be using it for programming. Mostly for iOS but do not exclude OS X.
    I'm also radio presenter so I'm planning also to edit audio files. I have hundreds of them, it is recorded my radio broadcast programme and I want to edit few things in that files.
    :apple:

10. Gaiduku macrumors member

I haven't got an iMac just yet but planning on getting one to replace my dying 2007 Macbook.

I need something to run a lot of Matlab code for uni (doctoral student so I hope this counts :) ) It's lots of image analysis stuff so I also need a pretty decent sized hard drive. One experiment is usually a gig or a 1.5 gig of data so I'll need at least a TB.

11. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

ok

semi-professionally, I write for children. That includes picture book scripts, early read-alone and slightly above that in book (and e) format. I also write productions for schools - that includes song writing and some orchestration and probably in the future some kind of sound track production as well.

Also semi-pro, I work with other writers on getting their books formatted for e-publishing and website design and maintenance.

Professionally, I work for a large software company and while the Mac is not my main machine, it makes a handy backup that's external to our firewall for testing.

oh and it's also my music and video library and hobbyist recording studio.

12. nagareru macrumors regular

While I do not currently own a iMac, I use one at work. I do video production for broadcasting. This includes creating motion graphics with 3D content and editing DVCPRO HD footage.

While the imac does fine, it cannot keep up with our industrial-sized productions while the MacPros(12-core) do just fine.

For this reason we rarely use it for proper work and is more of a back-up machine in case all of the MP's are busy.

13. mapleleafer macrumors regular

Text (scientific) editing. OS X, Windows, and Linux. So I don't need speed, fancy graphics, or massive storage. I'm contemplating switching to a Mini if it still exists when I need to get something new.

14. yashi macrumors member

Web Development. PHP IDE, web browser, terminal all on one screen. Finder, Evernote, Git GUI in the background for easy access with Mission Control, which is bound to an extra button on my mouse.

15. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

My 2006 20" Core2Duo is still a pretty darn productive work machine, though I'm waiting for the new iMac/Mac Mini updates to finally retire it.

I do primarily graphic design (identity work as well as web design) and also do some web development in HTML/CSS and some WordPress development. Also some light 3D work in Modo and some After Effects and video work on occasion. And I'm learning Maya for character animation at the moment.

16. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

Web Development, Server Management (ssh and VNC).

17. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

How much ram do you have and what OS are you running?

18. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

3gb of RAM and I'm on Lion. I did recently upgrade to an SSD, bit of a pain to pull the thing apart but it made a massive difference in speed of day to day tasks.

19. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I'm a photographer so I use the iMacs for that purpose.

With the purchase of my newest iMac I am branching out in to the world of video and it is proving to be very lucrative.

20. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

I should have added my usage in my initial post. I think of, and help design and run proprietary websites. Heavy use of Dreamweaver and CS apps. I am starting to stick my toe into video, although my friends who are pros at that are waving me off. I watch news, sports, etc. as well.

- David

21. Anyhuman55, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

Anyhuman55 macrumors newbie

22. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

You have way more patience than I ever could hope to have.

I use my current gen 27" iMac for web/print design and production (using mostly adobe cs6). I also use it less often for photography (using aperture + canon 7d).

My iMac suits me well and handles everything I throw at it decently. I usually get a new main computer every 18-24 months or so and this one is about 8 months old, so I have a bit before I'm due to get something new.

23. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I use mine for mostly for Lightroom and Photoshop, occasionally Dreamweaver and illustrator....

24. AR999 macrumors regular

Please be advised I have registered a downvote against your thread.

Regards.

25. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Well, that is very gentleman-like. Thanks for sharing!