So How Is Multi-quoting Supposed To Work?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Huntn, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Huntn, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I'm feeling like a dummy with trying to get the new Xenforo software to multi-quote. Last night could not get them to work properly. With the old system you hit multi-quote for the first post and second post, and then reply for the last quote you want to use. This does not appear to grab all quotes with XF.

So I tried selecting multi-quote for all threads I want to quote, then in the fast reply box at the bottom of a forum page, I selected "insert quotes". Last night that was not working, not all quotes were being grabbed, but this morning it did work. I assume this is how it's supposed to work.

Anyone know if these mull-quote tags you put on individual replies are supposed to clear out after you have inserted them into your reply?
    Thanks!

If you see a "How Does Multi-quote work" listed in the similar threads, that's from 2006. :)

2. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

yes, multi-quote definitively needs a lot of work.
    not sure if it is an issue of this forum or the engine behind it, though.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've not had any problems with it so far. Being able to quote a post just by highlighting the text is a great feature too.

4. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

This morning I'm using my iPad. Can you explain how you do this, I assume on your Mac/PC- do you manually highlight the text you want and then...?
    Thanks!

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You've got a choice of + Quote or Reply.

+ Quote adds it to your queue of multi-quotes and Reply opens a new Post Reply box with the text quoted.

Screenshot 2015-06-02 14.47.43.png

6. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

Outstanding, thanks! :)

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Now that's a welcome addition and a nice tip/trick.

8. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I don't think this is possible on iOS as long-pressing text in a post results in the entire post being highlighted with the only option being "Copy".

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

I actually have that working in iOS, but it only seems to do it with posts that don't contain a quoted post.

10. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Ah, you're right, thank you for that little tidbit! This certainly helps.

11. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

I've noticed that if you use the multi-quote system, you must manually remove the multi-quotes when you are done using them.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That's strange, the two posts I've quoted were deselected as soon as I inserted them into this post.

13. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

I was in error and need to clarify, if you add them, but don't use them, they persist into other replies, in other forum sections when multi-quote is used. Earlier they were not working properly for me and these were left overs from trying to use that feature.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Ok, I understand.

I though that also happened in the old forums.

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah, it did happen on the old forum too.

16. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

Apparently I just noticed it, because I was having issues when Xenforo was first released at MRs with multi-quoting not working, my multi-quotes were not making it into replies, but were piling up in the Multi-quote queue.

As I understand it, to use multi-quote, you select the muti-quote button on each reply you want to quote, but instead of selecting "reply" on the last post you want to reply to, you have to slide to the bottom of the page to the quick reply box and Press the "insert multi-quotes" button there. BTW, the "insert muti-quotes" button only appears if you have quotes sitting in the multi-quote queue.

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can also remove or rearrange the quoted posts after pressing the Insert Quotes button.

18. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

Look at my post #16. Here is a case where leftover multi-quotes appeared in a reply of mine. For this thread I multi-quoted you and Sandbox General. I did not see these other quotes, although they might have been there scrolled out of sight. This might be a bug or... operator error. :p More investigation needed.

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

When you click the Insert Quotes button it lists all of the quoted posts you have selected. You can delete any unwanted ones before posting.

20. Huntn thread starter Suspended

Huntn

Yes, but I did not see those, only the two I had selected for that particular reply. It's possible that I overlooked them, but I'm questioning that at this point.

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You might have to scroll through them if there are more than two selected.

22. msephton macrumors regular

msephton

On iOS you can zoom in a little to select less text than the whole post. This feature then works as designed.

23. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Ah, so it does! And it even works if the post contains a quote from another post. Thank you very much!

24. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Please could somebody kindly explain how to use the Multi-quote feature. I have tried highlighting a sentence, pressing the quote button and then the reply button, but all I ever get is the full original message quoted. I have not been successful in having anything else quoted. I have also highlighted a phrase and clicked on the quote indicator on the small black popup that appears but that too does not perform any visible activity for me.

Thanks.

25. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Use the pop-up reply button if you just want to add the highlighted sentence into a new post or the quote button if you want to add multiple quotes.