So, how is the iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I played with one briefly in the Verizon store yesterday and my gosh that screen is so gorgeous. I just am unsure about how big it is and the price is pretty ridiculous when you add in the keyboard and the apple pencil. I already have an iPad Air 2, but the pro seems intriguing.

2. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

3. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

I can't go back to using my Air2 the Pro is sooo good. Every other tablet seems like a big phone. My Pro goes everywhere with me.

[​IMG]

4. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you get the apple pencil or the keyboard?

5. bulbousnub macrumors 6502

I have the keyboard and the pencil, along with Apple's silicone case. This thing is pretty slick.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The keyboard is great for typing on a flat surface, a little weird but useable on your lap. The keys have a decent amount of travel to them, more-so than I figured they would. The folding is a little weird but you eventually get used to it - I can normally open the cover, fold out the keyboard and attach it in one motion now. It doesn't add all that much bulk to it either. I do wish it had a row of function keys on it - volume, brightness, etc. but otherwise I'm really happy with it.

The pencil works incredibly well too. I'm not much of an artist but it works well in Pixelmator and a few other applications I've played around with it in for art. Note taking is amazing on it. Palm rejection works perfectly too from what I've seen. It works really well for precision input too - a 'mouse' of sorts.

Overall, I'm super happy with it.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm using the Pro without the pencil or the keyboard cover. I don't draw, and I don't need to take handwritten notes or annotate pdf, so no use for the Pencil for me. For keyboard, I just use an existing Bluetoth keyboard. And even that I'm finding I use less than I expected as I get used to typing on the iPad Pro's on screen keyboard.

Whether or not iPP works for you will vary wildly from person to person, but it's certainly worth getting one from Apple or a vendor with a good return policy and taking it for a spin.

7. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Anyone using the pencil without a screen protector? I haven't yet been able to get a screen protector and my pencil is due to ship in a week or so.

I would prefer to keep this screen naked. Wondering if people using it so with lots of pencil use think a protector is necessary?

8. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I use my pencil for handwriting fairly frequently and have never had any reason to feel concerned that it's going to damage the screen. I have never used screen protectors on any of my devices and have never had any issues, though.

9. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

How is it? It's big. I have the Pencil and the Keyboard.

One downfall to using the IPP and keyboard a lot is that now my rMBP has a lot of fingerprints on the screen from trying to scroll or click a button on screen. Never had the reflex to do that when I had an iPad Air but after using this I catch myself doing just that.

10. Robnsn2015 macrumors regular

I don't use the Apple keyboard or the Apple pencil, yet I use the iPad Pro nearly every day. I just bought Omnigraffle and hope to experiment with it soon. So far it's been a good device. I think I have a thread on this forum with my initial thoughts.

11. DaniJoy macrumors 6502

its really big! very slick, i dropped it a few times on my head until i got a case. the pencil is also very slick on the screen. i got a matte protector but it kills the image quality a bit. but my priority is drawing capability so i dont care about the rainbow effect of the matte protector. if i was only doing content consumption i would pick a smaller tablet. IPP not so good for reading in bed. but its a dream to draw and paint on as long as you dont want or need desktop class software. battery life is very short at upper brightness levels while painting. i get 4-5 hrs. but for general stuff at lower brighness levels its much better- 8-9 hours. for gaming its great, super fast and the big screen is nice. never tried word processing.

12. SoYoung macrumors 6502

I'm between my air 2 and pro at the moment. I love my ipad pro, the screen, sound and performance is fantastic, but I still use my air 2 a lot because I think its way less heavier than my pro, more portable device and its fast as well. Playing game is easier on the air 2 also and the screen is not THAT small. So I love both for different readon.

I also forgot to say that one readon I still use my air 2 a lot is because it charge way fadter. The pro charge time is a big cons for me.

13. cardfan macrumors 65816

Best ipad ever in terms of performance and sound. But less mobile ipad ever as well. The kb makes for an awful experience, one that Apple has said isn't very good. The pencil is great but only worthwhile is you like to draw or write on ipad.

Since it's still an ipad, it's very limited. Spending over 1k on one isn't for me for such a limited device. An ipad air is still the better deal but I still wouldn't pay full price for one. Get it on discount.

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

will let you know today when it arrives.

It does cost alot if you get everything.

I bought the cellular ipad pro and bought the smart keyboard, silcone back cover and the pencil. Cost me about £1,600
    --- Post Merged, Jan 26, 2016 ---
    Nice, this is the combo I have gone for.

Pro arrives today with cover and keyboard tomorrow :)

15. emembee macrumors regular

emembee

Yes I am on the fence but leaning to a purchase very soon. KRCS have the wifi 128 on offer for 735 but only till 31/1! I would prefer cellular for longevity as it covers all options but cost seems too much. Although I originally thought iOS too limiting, I have found workarounds for most stuff, and the Mac is past its best IMO, fine and maybe essential for some things but overall very bloated and more importantly hard to maintain and just too complex when things go wrong. So still prevaricating .... !

16. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

That is awesome! Such an amazing device

17. Leo90 macrumors 6502

I use my iPad Pro quite a lot and so far I am really impressed with this device. I use it at home for media consumption and at at work as second monitor to my MacBook Air and as a notebook where I can scribble and design my next set of experiments. Overall, it is definitely a great experience having one even though the price is too damm high IMO.

Btw, the only accessories I got were a case for protection and the Apple Pencil. No need for keyboard as I tend to keep using my rMBP for heavy duties.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I love it. It replaced my Air 3. No going back to the smaller screen now!

19. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Can you write on IPP with Apple Pencil while holding with your hand?

20. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I'm a little disappointed that the iPad Pro doesn't have "always on" Siri even though it has the same M9 co-processor as the iPhone 6s and 6s+.

21. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

First impressions loving it so far. It's huge but I'm in bed now and it isn't an issue as I thought it might be. I can hold it on hand while typing without any major problems.

My smart keyboard arrives tomorrow.

22. mguti macrumors member

I purchased the pro last Monday, when I went to bestbuy I was questioning the size of it. After having it for 10 days I love it! I don't have the keyboard or pencil. I use Logitech keys to go. Holding it isn't a problem.

23. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Love my iPP. Use it 5-6 hours daily for business and personal use. While I still use my multimonitor desktop at work, I haven't touched my laptop since I bought the iPP.

24. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

You mean vacillating-going back and forth; hesitate in choices. Prevaricating means not telling the truth. Just an FYI;)

25. PseudoPacifist macrumors newbie

I love my iPad Pro - I use it everynight for many hours, strictly as a media consumption decide. I did not buy a keyboard or pencil for it because I don't draw, or write anything more than a few paragraphs at a time.