So how much does AT&T actually throttle you down after your 5GB's on LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krashx7, Sep 18, 2012.

1. krashx7 macrumors regular

Are you bascially just getting 3g speeds after that? Seems to me that even throttled LTE speeds would be good enough to do anything. Anyone experience this yet? Unlimited plans I mean.

2. Tarp09GT macrumors member

You pointed out something that I imagine a lot of unlimited users did not realize. Now that the iPhone 5 is LTE, throttling does not kick in until 5 GB whereas 3G kicked in at 2 GB.

Another perk of the iPhone 5 - an additional 2 GB of un throttled data for unlimited users!

3. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I hope they don't throttle past normal 3g speeds, but I have a feeling they will throttle as much as they do for 3g users now. I don't think I will hit the 5gb very often though.

4. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I think dropping someone from LTE to 3G non-HSPA+ is enough of a throttle after running on LTE for a little bit lol.

5. Smtevo macrumors 6502

I figured that we would just be throttled down to 3G. I don't think ATT would even tell us what we are going to be throttled down if we asked.

6. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Not sure I know when I go over 3 gb on my 4S the speeds are unusable. Literally slower than edge speeds

7. noobinator macrumors 601

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. schizbomb macrumors 6502

AT&T employees were told it was throttled to the same levels as it is now...so basically EDGE speeds.

I would think at this point throttling that low is ridiculous, throttle to 3-5Mbps should be fine.

10. noobinator macrumors 601

That wouldn't work because they are throttling to try and deter you from your unlimited plan.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even 1Mbps would be ok.
    Dont kill it completely with 20kbps speeds.

12. Hobbes. macrumors regular

Is it still 5GB if I am on a family plan? I.E. two iphones with unlimited data, we share minutes...I have the iP5 (or will come friday) she has the 4S...so how many gigs do we get before throttle? 8?

13. Eallan macrumors 6502

You'll be throttled to 500kbps or less. It's absolutely worthless and effectively a limited data plan.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5GB for your iphone 5 and 3GB for her 4S.
    You cant combine them together, its not a shared data plan. You both have your seperate unlimited data plans with different throttling caps.

15. Hobbes. macrumors regular

Good. Just wanted to verify. That's totally perfect.

16. mellofello macrumors 65816

Great news. I usually hit the cap for just the last few days of the month. 5gb is more reasonable. Time to move my spotify streaming quality back to extreme.

17. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Where are people seeing that we're capped at 5GB on the new iphone 5?

18. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I agree and it will not take long as you know many are going to be downloading movies the second they get it.

I say leave it a 5gb for the 5gb LTE users.

19. fins831 macrumors 6502a

ATT confirmed LTE throttling will occur at 5GB because LTE network can handle the bandwith and stress of data 100x better than 3G antiquated tech

20. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

And this will relieve stress on 3G network for this to be the throttled speed...but AT&T wants those unlimited plans gone.

21. fins831 macrumors 6502a

This is true, in a sense. At first only slightly, but as time passes and more cities get LTE, more and more...eventually they will phase out EDGE for LTE expansions, so 3G throttling is an eventuality, just years off.

I am just glad I have LTE in the tri-county area I live in, and tested it other day at 11-18Mbps, which is incredible for mobile.

22. DArsenault macrumors regular

Actually, I thought I read the the 5GB applies to LTE but you still get throttled after 3GB of 3G. This makes sense, since most iPhone 5 users will still be using 3G a large amount of the time. I'll try to find the source for this.

23. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

My thoughts exactly. The point of throttling is to make it so you don't use too much data in a given billing cycle. It would be worthless to drop back to 3G speeds as that's what people use now and think that's fine.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's false.
    If you're using an LTE device you're on the LTE cap of 5GB.
    Its not your fault AT&T hasnt updated their coverage to your area to LTE yet.

25. ljx718 macrumors 6502

LTE phones have a higher cap. always been like that