Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iShinebrite

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
They have good reason!

Is there anyone else who bought the redesigned macbook air in late 2010 really pissed off that half a year or so later, Apple comes out with a newer macbook air.... Im kinda feeling ripped off since I got mine in December of 2010.......

Think about it! they knew that the regular macbook was going to be kicked to the curve so they said hmm... only two laptops on the market? Well we better make damn sure its worth it only having the MBA and MBP.Cheer up you have a MAC doesn't matter what anyone else has because it cant compare anways.

mystik610

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
I also don't understand the mentality that releasing a new product and not letting you sell back an old one is 'bad' customer service. Car companies release a new car every year....do you expect them to eat the depreciation and buy back the car you racked 10,000 miles on after they release a new one a month later? That's what you're effectively asking Apple to do. Do you really think that's fair?

When I buy a car that is close to the end of it's cycle, such as a 2009 that I'm buying in December I always get a discount off what that car cost back in January of the year, don't you? It's ok with me if you want to spend full retail at all times but most of us are more savvy than that.

There's a stark difference between a retailer discounting products to move inventory at the end of its life cycle and a product manufacturer actually buying back used products so their customers can extend the 'newest version' kool-aid sipping :rolleyes:

All products are discounted heavily at the end of their product cycle to make room for new inventory...including Apple products (i.e., the Macbook Airs were on sale at Best Buy a couple of weeks before the refresh). And they do this not as a courtesy to their customers...they do it to sell off as much inventory as they can before a refresh comes and they have to discount old inventory down to levels where they're potentially taking a loss on the sale. Its very much a business decision.

And if buying at the end of the life cycle to save money is really your priority, don't whine all over a forum because you're upset that Apple refreshed their products a few weeks after you purchase your Macbook Air. And don't have the audacity to expect them to buy back your outdated gear to absolve your buyers remorse. If having the latest greatest version really is that important to you, pony up the price premium charged to be an early adopter....if not, don't get upset when your device is outdated sooner than you'd like. Simple as that.

The ironic thing is, if Apple did buy back your 2010 MBA, you'd end up buying a new one at retail price anyway...and assuming that Apple would buy back your 2010 MBA for less than you paid for it (as they likely would if they did buy it back), you'd actually end up spending MORE than retail.

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
And if buying at the end of the life cycle to save money is really your priority, don't whine all over a forum because you're upset that Apple refreshed their products a few weeks after you purchase your Macbook Air. And don't have the audacity to expect them to buy back your outdated gear to absolve your buyers remorse. If having the latest greatest version really is that important to you, pony up the price premium charged to be an early adopter....if not, don't get upset when your device is outdated sooner than you'd like. Simple as that.

Who's whining? I was saying that in essence it was an irritant but not something I was holding against them, much. I wouldn't mind them modifying that policy. I stand by what I said, that a little help in the upgrade path for those who bought 30 days prior instead of just 14 days prior. You've taken that statement and blew it up into making it sound like I said they should buy back my Mac. Baloney, I didn't intimate such a thing. A lot of companies charge a 15% re-stocking fee, which I would have been perfectly happy with within 30 days. I just didn't want to eat $600 to upgrade a product only 3 weeks old. So I kept it, I use it, life goes on. Let's worry about something more profound such as the U.S. losing it's AAA S&P rating - yikes!!!

Pvt Newby

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
KY
Me Too

I bought a 13" in Feb 2011 and had them jazz it up to 4Gb. I really wanted a backlit keyboard but thought I had to go without to get the MBA. I just found out Monday that there is a backlit model. The Apple store will not talk to me about a trade or buy back and The MacAuthority store said they come standard with 4Gb now and that I would not get even half the price I paid for it in trade. I just did not and still do no know when the update cycle is you all are talking about.

Hmmmm well Ri0ku actually I bought my MBA less than 2 months into its refresh as I stated... so your response is VOID !!!

2nd generation MBA came out in mid 2008 .... refreshed in mid 2009, but still second generation, until generation 3 MBA came out in late 2010....so that throws out the year to year refresh.

PaulWog you must have enough money to blow on MAC products to get new ones every time they are updated.... good for you !!! (eyes doing complete 360 rolls)....

VMMAN... Im sure all the people who got extremely pissed off at Apple thought that very thing when they dropped the price of the 1st generation Iphone from $500 to way less.

And for those who cant read ...this post was intended for people who actually bought the late 2010 MBA is as in the 1st sentence

"Is there anyone else who BOUGHT the redesigned macbook air in late 2010"

I did not come hear for smart asses

So the only person who should have an opinion is IngerMan which he expressed

mystik610

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Who's whining? I was saying that in essence it was an irritant but not something I was holding against them, much. I wouldn't mind them modifying that policy. I stand by what I said, that a little help in the upgrade path for those who bought 30 days prior instead of just 14 days prior. You've taken that statement and blew it up into making it sound like I said they should buy back my Mac. Baloney, I didn't intimate such a thing. A lot of companies charge a 15% re-stocking fee, which I would have been perfectly happy with within 30 days. I just didn't want to eat $600 to upgrade a product only 3 weeks old. So I kept it, I use it, life goes on. Let's worry about something more profound such as the U.S. losing it's AAA S&P rating - yikes!!!

off topic....but holy crap. just saw that. ****** going to hit the fan on Monday....

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
My reaction to the MBA refresh last fall was, "Awesome, I'll get the 11" model when they eventually add the backlit keyboard".

It was only a matter of time before they did so. I anticipated it wouldn't happen until this fall. But then I started reading the MBA refresh rumors and sold my MBP this past June on Craigslist. I was pretty much banking on the fact that the MBA refresh would go down as rumored this summer. Now I'm typing this from my brand new 11" MBA.

A little common sense and keeping up-to-date with Apple rumors goes a long way.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My reaction to the MBA refresh last fall was, "Awesome, I'll get the 11" model when they eventually add the backlit keyboard".

It was only a matter of time before they did so. I anticipated it wouldn't happen until this fall. But then I started reading the MBA refresh rumors and sold my MBP this past June on Craigslist. I was pretty much banking on the fact that the MBA refresh would go down as rumored this summer. Now I'm typing this from my brand new 11" MBA.

A little common sense and keeping up-to-date with Apple rumors goes a long way.

And people who bought early might now be complaining that Amazon has this great promotion going. The bottom line is that everything has a downside. Early adopters pay more but get things earlier. Late adopters often get much better pricing, products with fewer bugs (as production kinks are worked out), but get "out of date" a bit sooner. Steve Jobs said it best. "It's technology."

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
And people who bought early might now be complaining that Amazon has this great promotion going. The bottom line is that everything has a downside. Early adopters pay more but get things earlier. Late adopters often get much better pricing, products with fewer bugs (as production kinks are worked out), but get "out of date" a bit sooner. Steve Jobs said it best. "It's technology."

No regrets missing that Amazon promo. I'd rather pay a little extra, not have to sell a Kindle I don't want, and not have to wait one to two months (quoted shipping time from Amazon on the higher end 11" model, which I got).

Esquire1

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
Hey, if you're foolish enough to buy a C2D laptop in late 2010, you can't be too upset about a refresh. Obviously the tech didn't matter to you because it was 'good enough for your needs.' Therefore, no harm, no foul.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Hey, if you're foolish enough to buy a C2D laptop in late 2010, you can't be too upset about a refresh. Obviously the tech didn't matter to you because it was 'good enough for your needs.' Therefore, no harm, no foul.

You speak the truth =)

When I saw they are releasing new device with Core 2 Duo in late 2010, I knew I have to wait.

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
upgraded from 2010 11"air to 2011 13"air

I wanted the 13" but couldn't afford it at the time. So after being on the fence for 100 days, I decided to list my air (at a $150.00 loss) and I sold it on creigs list after 1 day. I also started selling a lot of my fishing, sporting, and electronic stuff that has been sitting around the house for 8 to 10 years. In two days I sold enough to get the 2011 13" air. I love it but I am wondering if I sell some more of my old toys, I might get the 15 of 17" macbook Pro maxed out. or I might get a iMac 21.5". I like trading old toys for new toys. I also set it up so I can, take 4 pictures and put them on Creigs list in a short amount of time. :D

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Is a laptop bought end of last year any less functional now that a new and better one has come out? It sounds like the OP is just kicking himself as he spent all that money not too long ago and now doesn't have the latest model.

Fact of the matter is, there are a lot of us out there who want the latest and greatest all the time. We watch those mesmerising Apple ads and read the reviews and we drool, but there will always be something faster and more awesome on the horizon regardless of what tech you buy.

Put it this way, you don't see the Dell owners complaining when they refresh their Inspiron or Studio laptops do you? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.