So I called My Apple Store...only to find out it's ON FIRE!!!!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Dammit Cubs, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

2. bolsen78 macrumors regular

Oh my goodness someone else on here has mentioned that to!! I am so sorry and thats just plain stupid of someone to do especially over NOT getting a job!?!? I am sorry dude. :(

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

I'm sorry, I tried really hard not to laugh at the thread title. Serious note after reading the article, I hope no one is harmed.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I heard about this earlier. Very eye-opening. I was at this very mall just last week.

And a real shame too; it's such a nice, new mall. :eek: At least no one was hurt.

5. bolsen78 macrumors regular

Yes that is a plus that no one was hurt its a shame though still. I read it some more and he also did this at a Walmart where he worked?!! Thats just crazy!!

6. bouncer1 macrumors 6502

Sorry but I too laughed so hard while reading this (best to all those affected by this tragedy btw). I just called apple today in the uk to order and they place sounded on fire with people placing orders - and they told me, we are so busy today, so I thought you meant it was on fire selling the air and they'd run out, and then I clicked the post to see they were literally on fire!!!!!

Again, best to all.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Looks like authorities just managed to extinguish the blaze, 8 hours after this ordeal started. Apparently a portion of the mall sustained "significant damage," including a roof collapse. "Luckily" this appears to have been some distance away from the Apple Store, but smoke and water damage could still be a concern.

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

So at least no one was hurt, it appears.

Guy sounds like he might have hit his head in that auto crash.

Doctors probably screwed up.

Now he's really in deep.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Westfield Galleria Mall, Roseville, CA on fire

I'm surprised no-one has ran this yet.

http://www.kcra.com/news/25465665/detail.html
    http://www.sacbee.com/2010/10/21/3121945/roseville-galleria-suspect-in.html
    http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=101945&catid=29

The AP, Google, CNN, the Guardian, the BBC, and others have picked up this story, since the Galleria Mall is owned by Westfield, based in Sydney, Australia.

This is important here, because the newest Apple store in the Sacramento area was at this mall. Current news here is stating that the mall had 97% store occupancy, yet there is 100% smoke damage to the entire inside of the mall. So either everything will need to be sold on the cheap, or totally destroyed.

So imagine everything in the Apple store gone, because it will be. Gone.

BL.

10. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Wow, that's pretty scary. As mentioned above, hope no one was injured. But good timing indeed!

11. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

From my experience visiting the place as far as I could tell the Apple Store at the Roseville Galleria Mall was always extremely packed. In fact I'd say more so even then the older location based at Arden in Sacramento.

no doubt Apple will take a hit as they had to be getting a lot of revenue from this location due to its popularity.

At the very least it has smoke damage and water damage so I'm sure lots of nice shiny apple products were lost. It would suck to have had a mac in for repair at the time ;)

Just a bit of a perspective for those who haven't been to this location. Its in the newer section of the mall were the back of store faces towards the older section as is backed by another store on the other side. Its also located about a football fields length down from the part in the older section which suffered the most damage, Roof colapse, etc.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Local news stations here in Sacramento were stating that the mall was estimating 1 - 2 months before the mall would open up again. That would mean that this mall misses the entire Christmas shopping season, which is a HUGE hit to the economy of the town.

If what they said is true and there is smoke damage to every part of the inside of the mall, all merchandise would have to be scrapped and new stock brought in. I don't know what that means in terms of Apple's stock, but that's a huge hit on the store period.

Besides, Arden Fair sucks eggs. With Galleria out, I'm hoping it gives Apple more inclination to open a store at Palladio in Folsom.

BL.

13. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

I'm from right around there too! I was actually there, in the store, last night to get iLife and ATV. Then I went down there again today with my sister and the damn mall was on fire. It had just gone done like minutes before we got there. We watched it burning from across the freeway at the Best Buy parking lot. Pretty crazy stuff.

14. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Hope everyone is okay, although I love the thread title.

15. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

The question right now is how fast can they do the repairs? They'll have to call in a construction company that can do fast reconstruction work and at least get half the mall reopened by Black Friday and the rest of the mall reopened by December 3, 2010.

16. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

When I first saw the thread title, I thought that perhaps a Genius was investigating an overheating MBP when kaBOOM! (/snark)

Glad to see there were no injuries, but I feel sorry for the retailers, especially any local/non-chain stores who may have hoped to survive from holiday shopping revenue.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, saw that.

The boy obviously has issues with his parents. ;)

18. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Make sure to post a huge FS thread in the Marketplace if they sell the Apple Store's smoke damaged inventory.;)

19. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

20. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Hilarious!:D How many people tried to grab the display models on the way out?:p

I kid only becasue nobody got hurt, thankfully.:eek:

21. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Felony. No more xbox and monster energy drinks for you!

But reading California's arson law I cannot understand which level it would be. Missouri is would be a class B since nobody got hurt.

Was it really worth it because a crappy store like game stop didn't give you a minimum wage job? Goodness people....

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

They've already estimated 2 months. So unless they went to repairing the mall 24/7, they're looking at mid-December. It isn't just the mall that needs to be repaired. If the local news channels were right, all of the merchandise has to be destroyed, or sold at a fire sale (pun intended) or auction, because all of it throughout the entire mall has smoke damage.

BL.

23. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Two months seems quick to get the smoke and water damage fixed. Merchandise can be replaced over night.