So I did the math.... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Westin, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Westin macrumors regular

So I did some math, and if you buy a iPhone 3gs 16gb, pay the 250$ ETF, unlock it, and resell it on ebay you can make around 150-200$... Do you think AT&T would limit the number of accounts I can create and cancel?? Any AT&T reps here know?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. Westin thread starter macrumors regular

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There might be a limit before you have to get into business plans.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've got a family plan with (5) iPhones and I think (5) is the limit for family plans; so that's maximum of $1,000.00 profit, and in the end, I would have no iPhone. I think I'll keep my day job.....:p:p:p

6. tragdore macrumors newbie

to be honest. yes, I think they would. I mean large companies always have a way of finding things out.

7. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Man to be honest that is wayyyy too much work. I tried that twice, once with an 8gb iphone and another for 16gb, all at the same time and all 1st gen (when it was really hot). Anyway, too much of a hastle. Man unless you're some 16 year old with out an income, not worth it.

8. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Wow! Not one moral reply yet!:eek:

the joys of macrumors forums at 2:25 in the morning haha.

9. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Alot of work and time for minimal gain. There are way easier ways to grind for cash.

10. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

DON'T CHEAT THE SYSTEM!

morals are for losers :p

11. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Survival of the fittest.

12. tilmonabbott macrumors regular

tilmonabbott

you're absolutely right, the max you can have on a family plan is 5 phones regardless of iphones or any other cellphone. My family there's 6 of us with cellphones and for the longest time we had to use a business plan because it was cheaper than having 2 seperate family plans with 3 on each

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, been there, dun that! I went round and round with AT&T several years ago with the v1 iPhone and I felt like a piñata after it was all over. Ended up having my cousin get the pay-as-you-go iPhone thing, that actually worked out for everyone....:(:(:(

14. dagomike macrumors 65816

I wouldn't be surprised if you cancel, to open a new line you'll have to pay full price on the phone.

15. Westin thread starter macrumors regular

No, what im saying is as I get the lines I would pay the etf to get out of it, so I would never get up to the 5 line max. Get what Im saying?

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

At some point they might notice that you're ripping them off.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its not ripping them off:rolleyes:

they pried their etf accordingly

they are still making money

18. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Honestly, this annoys me a lot.

You guys with AT&T don't know how good you have it. In most countries with an iPhone if you want to get out of your contract early you still have to pay the rest of the contract, which is a whole lot more than $175. Start scamming AT&T too much and they may change their policy and do the same thing.

Don't screw it up for everyone else just because you want make a quick buck.

19. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

You don't get it. If you cancel shortly after activating, you will pay a pro-
    rated penalty starting at $200 and have to return the phone (or pay full retail
    of $599.) Only exception-you cancel and return everything within 30 days.

Nice try. Another I'm a genius grifter.

20. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

It depends on your credit rating. :D

Normally you would be able to get 5 lines on a FamilyTalk rate plan and your credit may allow you to have the max of 2 FamilyTalk plans under one account for a total of 10 lines. :eek:

There are other security measures in the system so they will kick-in and you will be limited in the number of iPhones that you can purchase.

Note: Once you purchase all the lines you are done unless you wait 90 days on each line after you cancel and pay the ETF of $175. If you come back before 90 days you are not considered a new customer so you can't get the subsidy pricing.

Dave

21. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Sorry but you don't get it. The ETF starts at $175 and you just have to keep it 30 days and then cancel. You don't have return the phone after 30 days. You just pay the activation, tax, any usage.

It is not a very good way to make money but some people try it every day here on the forum. Just let them get into the mess and see what happens when they get a larger bill then they expect or they get scammed on eBay or Craigslist. :eek::D

Dave

22. Cescfabregas4 macrumors member

I am going to do something similar in august. My ETF for my current iPhone would be $105. I don't qualify for the iPhone 3gs early upgrade price. I will add a line and get the 3gs for $200 + $105 ETF. Which is much cheaper than the $500 Att wants to charge me. No it's not a scam, I am just following Att policy.

23. tilmonabbott macrumors regular

tilmonabbott

yeah thats what we did for my grandmother to save a little bit of cash because she maybe uses 20 minutes a month. 30 if she really talks on it. Always wanted the v1 iphone, would kill to have one regardless.

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm amazed that AT&T doesn't already do what the other countries do. Especially, if they're looking at threads like this.

25. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The number of lines allowed on one plan varies by the amount of minutes on the plan from 3 to 5.