So I dropped my iPhone... what now?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kolax, Sep 9, 2009.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Pulled it out of my pocket, clipped my jacket and face planted onto the pavement. The screen is cracked, but it still works.

So, what do I do now? I didn't take out insurance on it. It isn't possible to just replace the glass is it? Or will I have to buy a new one?

It is an 3G 8GB. If I have to buy a new one, what's the best way to go about it? Refurbished store? How much will this cost me?

[​IMG]

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

They will charge you for the repair $199 and just give you a new phone. BTW, your picture shows a blue question mark.

3. joeconvert macrumors 6502

They will repair it for $199. Wife had this happen. They rarely hand out refurbs anymore, they just fix them.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

5. fastgraham macrumors member

The same thing happened to me. I took it to the Genius bar, they were going to replace the screen for $200, but they were out of replacement screens, so they just gave me a new one. The new one didn't work very well, so I brought it back and they gave me another new one that works great.
    Cost $200 + tax.

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Guys he's in Scotland, UK.

So if anyone knows what the British equivalent of the $200 replacement is that'd probably be better.

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah, can't image it would be a simple £120 at the current exchange rate. It'll probably be £169.

A local phone repair shop has given me an £80 quote to get the glass replaced, so I'll think about that.

If it is only £120 for Apple to do it (and possibly replace the phone) then I'd rather pay that.

8. Bjohnson33 macrumors 6502

My friend had a similar thing happen here in Ireland. He took it back to O2, since we don't have Apple stores here. They sent it back to Apple, and it took about a week to get it back. The same phone was sent back, with all of his photos and data still on the phone. Considering he didn't have anything backed up due to laziness, he was thrilled. I can't remember what he paid - I do remember it not being cheap, but not being exhorbitant either.

9. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

£140 to get it fixed at the Apple Store. It's sorted now.. still fecking expensive.

Next time that happens, I think I'll try repair it myself. Not sure how he managed to replace the glass in under 10 minutes - what special tool do they use to get the glass off?

How hard is it to actually put the new piece down?

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

there are YouTube videos showing how it's done. It's not rocket science, but it doesn't look like the easiest thing either. Guess if you do it 5x a day, you'd get quick at it.

11. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah - I had a look at them. Most people spend a couple of hours taking all the glass off; what special tool do geniuses have that enables them to do it in under 10 minutes?

12. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Checked out the customer video (TechSpank) - doesn't look overly complicated. I'd probably get a buzz out of doing that.

Still, that video was speed up at the fiddly parts - wish I could have seen the behind the scenes of what the genius did to my iPhone to get the new glass on it so damn quickly.