So i finally switched...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by newbiemacguy128, Jul 8, 2009.

1. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

And so far it has not been good.

So i brought it home, unboxed it and was amazed by the build quality. I almost didnt wanna touch the thing! Haha.

I turned it on, did all all the paperwork and finally got into OSX. I just stared for a bit, the screen just looked amazing compared to my GF's crappy HP next to me. I immediately grabbed my camera and transferred all my photos over. It was very quick and fairly simple, and the photos looked absolutely stunning. The next step was transferring my music. I don't have an external hard drive so i threw all my music into my network (took like 1h 30m to transfer) so it finally finished...and heres where the trouble started. I went into itunes and while searching for my folder of music to add, i hit the wrong folder and it added in a bunch of random sound files. So...i deleted them off itunes and at the same time deleted the originals whoops! I was thinking...no big deal ill just go to the trash and restore all those files to their original spots. So i clicked around a bit, and couldn't find it, but being a mac newbie i figured i just missed something and began to search online...THERES NO RESTORE BUTTON!!! But there will be soon in snow leopard (doesnt help me now)...Now theres about 600 sound files sitting in my trash and i dont know where they go. So i decided that ill just reformat, since i didnt know if anything i deleted was important or not. I put in my OSX disc and figured out how to do a clean install...I erase my hard drive and then when i go to do a fresh install, it turns out my disk is too scratched up! I only took the disc out of the package, how is it scratched up already???

Well i guess its back to the apple store for me, to get a new MBP or a new OSX disc...Ahhh it sucks to be a mac newbie. I know this problem was 100% my fault, but it still sucks that i wasted 4-5 hours on this. I really want it to "just work"...hopefully next time i get better results i suppose. I'm really excited to get things going, besides the hiccups, i can't wait to show this bad boy off to my friends and once i figure all this out, i know it will be a great experience. Until then....i guess i'll have to suffer until i learn my way around OSX.

P.S. dont flame me for ranting, i love apple products even though this is my first mac computer. I just need some help and get me on my feet towards being a apple "pro"

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Unsure how the DVDs that came with your MP are scratched, that is definitely not normal. However the rest is on you really. ;)

Before anything these days I would use what I consider to be the most beneficial tool within Leopard to date ... Time Machine.

turn it on ... use it ... love it ...

I think overall your Mac experience should be better than this and in due time this scratched disc issue will all be a distance memory.
    Welcome to MR.

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Umm...thanks for telling your life story but do you actually have a question or just wanted to use macrumors like facebook?

4. newbiemacguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i know. Just haven't gotten around to getting another Hard drive. Anyways i bought a macbook pro, just posted in the wrong thread by accident. But either way i guess this thread is more about OSX then which computer i bought.

With this mistake ill definitely get to using time machine. My DVD being scratched was a surprise to me too, pretty pissed about that. Just the 1hour drive is gonna suck...

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Holy crap you're rude!

He was only trying to explain the ups and downs of new mac ownership. If you don't like it don't read the thread.

I totally understand. I am a little lost on how that happened tbh.

6. newbiemacguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

Thing is, if i posted a big long positive reply. I don't think i would've gotten a negative comment like this.

Anyways i'm just new to apple computers in general and was just sharing my experience. I guess thats a crime on macrumors, ill be on my way then.

7. newbiemacguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

If you got any tips for a new mac owner id like to know. I really am completely confused with OSX atm. In IPhoto, it literally took me like 10mins to figure out how to delete something (so used to right clicking). Once i figured out all you have to do is drag it to trash i felt pretty dumb...

8. vermintrex macrumors newbie

Way to throw out the welcome mat... and help perpetuate the myth ('cept yourself) that Mac user's are snobby pricks.

9. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

No mac users are just more interested in actually talking about problems and things that other people can actually help with. Telling a story about your experience with a mac should not be under this section in macrumors. This isn't a welcome to the club site, it is a i need help and someone else has an answer site...I apologize if you felt it was rude, but check the rules of the thread using this as an instant messenger (aka chattiness) is not allowed.

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

You're obviously new to MR.

11. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Or maybe he should post the thread in Community Discussion...

12. vermintrex macrumors newbie

Well, in a rather round about way, the OP did ask for help. He has 600 sound files in the trash and doesn't know how to restore them.

Can you help him ?

And how exactly was he using this forum as an instant messenger ?

13. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Notice how you said "round about way" and he also already restored the system so he doesn't need help anymore. It is a post telling a story of getting a mac, not asking for advice, ideas, comments, just a story...I see that I am only ticking people off despite the validity of what I say...

14. vermintrex macrumors newbie

More like trivial nit-picking, but that's just IMHO. I guess I'm just a little less tightly wound. :p

Anyway, I guess in a court of law you'd carry the day, if that's important to you.

I'll drop this now :rolleyes:

15. newbiemacguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

Well apparently i didnt reformat my drive right...wow i can't even do that right on a Mac. So now that i now legitimately have a problem, can you help me?

16. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I've wanted to respond to such threads in a similar manner but have opted to kick the dog instead.

17. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

absolutely...what did you do to reformat the drive and what happened?

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Community Discussion isn't for Mac discussion.
    Perhaps it is valid...but this is pretty much how MR works.

19. newbiemacguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyways, for anyone who actually wants to try to help me. I've been playing around on my mac for a bit and haven't really noticed much difference sound wise after deleteing all of those files.

I searched through my trash and listened to a few dozen of them. Lots of them are like clicking noises and small stuff, notifications and whatever. I'm wondering if most of these files go in the same spot in bulk. Maybe i can put them back together manually. Anyone willing to help?

20. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Community Discussion is for anything basically...my point is that story is fine in Community Discussion, but I read through the whole thing looking to help someone out with a mac. By the end of it I am now pissed because there is no problem...basically I read it all for nothing. But, now we actually have a problem so...lets move on to that

21. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Yea sure...what are the names of some of the files?

22. freesonwang macrumors member

Yeah. Doesn't it suck that OSX doesn't have a restore function with the trash? It's idiotic.

No I don't believe it is. You got a scratched up CD with your new Mac! I'd be fuming!

Good luck!

23. newbiemacguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright so first on the list...there are a bunch of files starting with

2MFNFX1X followed by 01, 02, 03, etc.

24. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Okay, I am looking around for where possible sound files like that might go but I really need the names of a few of them to help me in my search...

EDIT: Sorry I got your reply

25. newbiemacguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

2MFNFX1X01.aif
    024_COKM56_H.wav
    024_ped_h.wav
    031_G0KM56_S.wav
    50B-1GA1-A1.aif

thats just for starters...