Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I cant believe how amazing that mouse is... I was in Selfridges the other day looking around the mac section. and there was one hooked up to a PowerMac with the 23" Apple monitor. just scrolling around with that ball was incredible. Sure my Logitechs 4-way touchpad is good but a scroll ball is just genius. Only problem i had was with the side buttons. or maybe the display model had not been handled perfectly for its short life, who knows?

I suppose i can join in the choir and cry out for a Bluetooth one too.

What are user opinions on this? I've always used a 2 button mouse so really i want to hear what similar people think about this. also wondering at the infrareds DPI. my logitech is a beauty to use, think its got the 2nd highest DPI for a mouse and its so nice to use... wondering if the Mighty Mouse will be a downgrade or not.

i may just have to buy one. maybe...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i tried one out in the apple store the other day. the side buttons weren't an issue for me, but it certainly does need to go BT, and my only other problem is that i think they could make the scroll ball just a little teeny-tiny bit bigger, it felt small and awkward to use, but maybe thats just me nitpicking, if there was a BT version i would have gotten one already though.

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
I love it. It works perfectly with the way I use a mouse, so I have no problems at all with right clicking.

And the trackball is fantastic.

Well worth the money for me.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
JoeKarame said:
I love it. It works perfectly with the way I use a mouse, so I have no problems at all with right clicking.

And the trackball is fantastic.

Well worth the money for me.

you can buy one of the best mice of all time, the logitech mx510 for 28 bucks. super fast response time, multiple, programmable buttons. this is miles ahead of the mighty mouse. apple's good and all, but it's no where near as good as this mouse or even other bluetooth mice.

But it looks like a one button mouse! And acts like a two! For the insecure people who don't want to change, this is the mouse for you! Stay cool with your one button mouse, oh wait, two. the unbelievably bad ergonomics of the apple mice has never changed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826104150

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
I was wondering about the DPI myself. I currently use a Razor Diamond back 1600dpi gaming mouse and I really love it. I won't get a mighty mouse because of the lack of right and left clicking at the same time. I wonder if they will start shipping it with macs in the future. I hope so.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i got a mighty mouse, and i love it. it goes well with my keyboard and mini, and since i don't have bluetooth, i'm not complaining. now i just have to buy tiger

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
Having switched to Mac fairly recently, I was accustomed to multi-button mouse w/ scroll wheel, but I transitioned to the one button mouse a lot faster than I thought - aided by how well the Wireless Mouse w/ with my BT Keyboard and iMac :D

That said, if Mighty Mouse comes out with BT, and at a reasonable price, I might eventually, maybe for Christmas, buy it.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
it only messed up the left and right click 1-2 times since i've had it. i really like how you can scroll up/down and left/right. it also works well with expose

iMacSE500

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2005
M
I went to the apple store and thought it sucked. I have always hated the Apple mouse (from the small iMac mouse to the one button clear ones and now this mighty mouse). They just dont feel right in my hand.

twoodcc said:
it only messed up the left and right click 1-2 times since i've had it. i really like how you can scroll up/down and left/right. it also works well with expose

IT doesn't mess it up. It does the clicks exactly like it was designed to do, but unfortunately that design requires your index finger to be off the left click area in order to register a right click. That would appear to be another instance of Apple sacrificing function for form...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
jayscheuerle said:
IT doesn't mess it up. It does the clicks exactly like it was designed to do, but unfortunately that design requires your index finger to be off the left click area in order to register a right click. That would appear to be another instance of Apple sacrificing function for form...

fine, so I"VE only missed clicked a few times. but what i'm trying to say is that i like the mouse anyways

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
all of these are problems with the apple mice. sure, if an oval shaped thing is all your used to, you won't notice what you're missing. but get a real good mouse and you'll find out that you miss the great feel and usability of a high quality mouse. something like using windows, you don't know it sucks til you use OSX

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
PlaceofDis said:
i tried one out in the apple store the other day. the side buttons weren't an issue for me, but it certainly does need to go BT, and my only other problem is that i think they could make the scroll ball just a little teeny-tiny bit bigger, it felt small and awkward to use, but maybe thats just me nitpicking, if there was a BT version i would have gotten one already though.

I thought it was too small too. Other than that, I think it's great. Bluetooth... grr... :mad:

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
so i have talked bad about this mighty mouse, i never actually tried it out...until this afternoon. and boy do i have to say that it's even worse than i originally thought!! The trackball thing is WAY too small. The image of being a one button mouse look with two button mouse features is the stupidist thing i've ever heard. and when the heck is apple going to make another keyboard? that thing really sucks.

dwd3885 said:
so i have talked bad about this mighty mouse, i never actually tried it out...until this afternoon. and boy do i have to say that it's even worse than i originally thought!! The trackball thing is WAY too small.

My first impression is that it was small, but it seemed VERY responsive and appeared to need very little lifting the finger up and down to get it to move all over, much less than I need to do with my scroll wheels. It WAS different, and would take some getting used to, but I found the tiny, responsive scroll wheel to be a very efficient approach. I'd be interested in trying one out for a week or so, but the right-click thing is a deal killer.

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
the mighty mouse looks pretty kool and i want to give it a try, but theres no way im spending $50 on it

the pricing needs to be:
mighty mouse bt- $50- $60
mighty mouse wired- $25- $30
pro mouse- $20

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
It's interesting to see a wide range of opinions of the Mighty Mouse. Guess I'll to try it out for myself to see how it really is.

dwd3885 said:
and when the heck is apple going to make another keyboard? that thing really sucks.

Why? What's wrong with the keyboard?

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
wrxguy said:
Mighty Mouse sucks....the side buttons dont work...the scroll ball is awkward...get a MX510 and its 100 times better

I'll rubber stamp that, with one revision...

Get the Kensington StudioPro tethered version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.