So I "Genius Bar'd" my 2011 17" MBP just now.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by revelated, Mar 4, 2011.

1. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Let me get this out of the way.

The replacement MBP I got is significantly better than the first one I bought. The first one had what appeared to be a dead pixel just off center of screen, uneven keyboard backlighting - at max brightness the 5 key shined like a star but the others were dim, and abnormal heat. The one I swapped with is more even on the keyboard, no dead pixels, and is just as cool as my 2010 - iStat Pro would report idles of 40 degrees Celsius on first one, 31 degrees Celsius on the replacement. So obviously there is a bad batch of them out there, cause this one is damn near perfect. Haven't hammered it with anything yet - I will be doing some Adobe Premiere encoding this morning as I have to catch up on my video reviews, so I'll report back then. In any event, if you're having issues with your backlighting being uneven, dead pixels, or anything else abnormal, RETURN IT and exchange it. You might actually get a good one.

But I wanted to report my Genius Bar experience too as it's my first time ever having to use them for anything. Never had any problem with an Apple product before.

So I go in there and the guy asks what's wrong. I bring out the MBP, show him the pixel on screen. At first he thinks it's dust on the screen, like I did, but then when I show him how it disappears at different angles and isn't visible when you view black colors he agreed it was a pixel problem. I then pointed out the keyboard backlighting being so uneven; he didn't see it at first, then when I used the screen to darken the area he saw what was going on, and we saw the display model was more even, so he agreed there as well. Didn't mention the heat as I felt it was to be expected with this much authority in the thing. So he says he'll just swap me out, I'm like cool.

Brings out the replacement and asks me to check it out. While I'm doing so he casually asks me if I work for a large company. This initially irritated me since I was wearing my company shirt, but I let it slide and pointed out the logo to him. He looked it up and saw that my company indeed gets 8% off Apple computers, offers to basically swap me and credit back the difference since they never offered me the corporate discount the first time I shopped, and I never thought to ask as the website gives a terrible - I mean TERRIBLE - discount for employees...like $90 off of a $2000 machine or something. Seems the local store gives a steeper discount than what our company tells us. I was surprised that this guy was going above and beyond by telling me this. But then I got angry, since I've bought 5 other computers over the past two years and NOT ONCE told that there might be a company discount. Wasn't his fault, but it really bugged me. Would have REALLY helped with the iMac in particular.

So anyway, I have now a 17" that is worth the money I paid for it, $220 is back in my wallet that should never have left it, and I actually had a very positive experience with Apple's Genius Bar. I had initially hesitated on taking it back and just dealing with the issues, but I knew that if I didn't do it today, I'd never make time. I'm glad I actually did.

2. jenlevin macrumors regular

better late than never. that's awesome that he went out of his way to point that out, without him needing to sell you something. some of those people are really great.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Great story. It's experiences like this that make Apple rated the best in customer service because they go beyond their scope of support.

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

It's weird that they offer corporations discounts but when I ask for a military discount they look at me like I am asking for a handout.

5. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

So happy reading this. Glad you got one of the nice ones. SOME of those employees at the Apple Store don't understand that MOST of us would like to keep our computers and don't want to drive over there to get our problematic computers exchanged.

6. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

If only employees all around the world were this great :p Good to see you've got a nice MacBook Pro, can't wait to get mine!

7. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Love the military and all I'm not trying to sound rude, but I dunno what entitles the military to a discount from a private company? I'm pretty sure it's exactly like asking for a hand out :p

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I don't know about Flagstaff, shamash, but a lot of businesses around here offer military discounts and display so on their signs.

Sometimes I wish we had an Apple Store around here… instead, all we've got is Best Buy and an independent retailer who adds a premium over Apple's costs.

9. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

10. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

+1

11. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

What entitles anyone to a discount from a private company?

12. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

Money.

In my company's case, they are fairly large. International, and quite well known. They also are one of Apple's part suppliers, I believe; not sure on that. In any event, we have a lot of employees across the world, and even if only 1% of them bought Apple computers, it would be a hefty chunk of change for Apple. Nevermind that most of our corporate folks are going Apple because of the ability to use it dual purpose with great battery life. It's precisely the reason I've owned 6 of them in 2 years. What's ironic is that I initially bought back into Mac because I needed to re-learn the OS to stay on the edge of the curve; a lot of schools and school districts who we do business with are going all Mac and we are seeing more and more customer employees with iPads.

Companies who do discounts such as these stand to make a lot of profit if their product is worth the money. There's so much extra padded into the price of the products that it's a drop in the bucket for Apple to really lose.

13. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I understand why they give discounts. My point was why would it be such a big deal to apply to the military too? There are lot's of people in the military too and Apple would make money there too.

14. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

Military folk don't make as much as people think. In fact, as sad as this next statement sounds....I would rather work at a fast food joint than for the military, speaking strictly on pay. Therefore, the profit potential is scarce compared to private companies.

15. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I know the military doesn't make much money, but neither do students and they get a discount. Most companies do it for the military as a good will gesture, and of course I am speaking of American companies as I realize that there are members here from all over the world. The young men that I know who are serving or have served in Iraq and Afghanistan have a love for the country and personal pride that goes beyond money. IMHO, everyone who lives in the US owes a debt of gratitude to those who are serving or have served in the past.

16. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

Students get discounts because students have easy access to credit more often than not. Different ball game.

17. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

What does Apple lose by offering a military discount?

18. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

The answer to that question would seem to be self-evident, crewman.

You're absolutely right, but this is business. It's not a charity.

I would guesstimate that over 80% of people in the middle class who work do not do so because they just have "...a love for" what they do, rather they do it to get paid. Those are the people Apple want to cater to. Not those that are perfectly content with piddly salaries.

19. Ahmahzahn macrumors member

Military Discount from AAPL

I don't really care to chime in on the topic that seems to be at hand, whether or not apple should give discount to the military. I do happen to be in the navy and I'm fairly certain that http://www.apple.com/r/store/government/ provides necessary discount. You are a government employee if in the military. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Navy Nuke :D

20. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

Either this site is misleading, or Apple Stores do not extend discounts, as that was what initiated the discussion - a person went to a local Apple Store and was effectively declined any sort of military discount.

21. Ahmahzahn macrumors member

It's also possible that the (most likely) one apple genius the individual talked to wasn't aware of any military discount, despite the fact that the employee new about the company's discount. Despite the employees title not every one who works retail knows everything about the product, services, and discounts available. Also if someone were to go to a B&M apple store and pointed out that website it would be doubtful that the discount was denied in-store.

22. iBunny macrumors 65816

I have bought 6 Apple computers while in the Military and always have received whatever discount All other Federal Employees get.
    :D

23. renaultf1 macrumors newbie

I have always been really happy with Apple's customer service. The company that I work for just announced a corporate discount with Apple - 2 days after I ordered my CTO 15". My computer was actually in the air from China when the news came out. At first I was just like "oh well, too late for me", but then I talked to our IT guy and he told me to talk to our rep at the Apple Store because he thought they would do the discount retroactively since I had the option to just refuse delivery of my computer and reorder.

I went to the Apple Store yesterday and talked to one of the Corporate sales reps, and sure enough, they are going to give me the discount. They actually thanked me for not sending back the computer when there was nothing wrong with it. I just need to bring in my box because the need the serial number. I asked for an Apple gift card because I have other stuff I need to purchase and they said no problem. Gotta love Apple.

24. pctomac2011 macrumors member

Corporate discounts are pretty common. I'm not sure why you were initially "upset" you were not told this before. It is your job as an employee to know the benefits before buying any product, it is certainly not Apple's job to ask what company you work for, and look into discounts. You were simply lucky you happened to be wearing that shirt, and it likely dawned on the employee to ask so he could impress you (also keep in mind you were exchanging a defective unit).

Overall great experience, but do not rely on others to "tell" you what you are and are not entitled to, that is your job as a customer to research.

25. Benito, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I picked up a brand new 15" 2.3 GHz i7 MBP yesterday

edited.