So I got the GTX 980 "Mac Edition" from MacVidCard

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stevedusa, Jan 14, 2015.

1. stevedusa macrumors regular

... and installed on my MP5,1.

Booted up, full EFI screen and everything including the Bootcamp works like a charm.

BTW these guys are top notch! Very professional, friendly and awesome.

Here's the video of first boot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK375wyyjhs

PS Don't mind that CUDA notice. After the update which was released today it no longer bugs.

Tonight I'll be doing some test on the Adobe CC stuff and a game or two on the OS X side. Tomorrow or so I'll test on the Bootcamp side.

Any questions feel free to ask me or MacVidCards! These guys ROCKS.

Attached Files:

2. apphotography macrumors regular

$835 just to get a boot screen and a 2.0 that has no real practical improvement is too much. You can get a super clocked version for $550. I know these ROM hacks take a lot of work and deserve respect but if you support hacks like this and TRIM enabler and other kinds of software patches, you are just telling companies like Apple/Nvidia/etc that you don't care about official solutions. Then they won't devote any manpower to the drivers or Mac editions. You will only have yourselves to blame if you do things like that.

3. scottsjack macrumors 68000

You believe that is why Apple does not offer official solutions?

OMG!

Let me say it again, OMG!

4. ShawnF macrumors regular

Woot! Please keep us updated! Would be interested to see some Final Cut Pro X benchmarks - if you are a FCPX user. I'm planning on getting one from MacVidCards too!

5. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Actually, you're showing the companies that there is a lucrative market that they're missing out on. If you're willing to spend a lot more for a solution that they themselves could have offered cheaper but they didn't, then they're leaving money on the table.

6. apphotography macrumors regular

Yes, the sheepish nature of many Mac users does make their needs easy to ignore. Then you end up running around looking for hacks when you realise you have been shortchanged.

----------

No that's not how consumer power works and that's why after so long you don't even have TRIM properly implemented and Windows users laugh at that. You are saying, "We worship you oh Apple. We won't pester you for the drivers and support. Carry on and don't bother asking anyone to work on our issue. We will go ask someone to hack it for us. "

7. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

So you break the worship cycle by emploring them at their feet for a solution?

Umm.

Ok.

My view is that economics, or more correctly the basic law of nature, actually handles this swimmingly.

Big company doesn't make X. Smart people come up with work around solutions to make X happen, then reap profit from said solutions. If the profit is sizable enough, big company pays attention so that they can make more profit. If it is small, then they ignore it, like they were going to anyway because the total outcry is small. Vote with your wallet.

8. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

WOW, Just WOW!!!!! Tell me you're not serious! You really can't believe that and live on the same planet I do!

Lou

9. apphotography, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015

apphotography macrumors regular

If you really believe that's the way to make Apple listen go buy a PC if you really want to make a point with "your wallet". Hacks won't achieve any change.

You have to go direct if you want your demands to be heard. In fact yesterday I read someone has lobbied with EVGA's marketing team about official Mac edition GTX 980 and there is progress there.

10. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Guess what, if everyone go to buy PC but no one purchase a Mac, Apple will chance their design towards a PC. This is the market force. People shows their demand by buying something.

If most of the public don't like the Mac, but don't buy PC either. Apple won't change their design, but may terminate their computer business. Because it seems there is no demand for computer anymore.

Customers show their demand by buying something, but not by stoping buying anything.

Hacks won't achieve anything by itself. However, buying hack products will. See how Apple change the iOS design towards what Cydia can offer?

A big company won't do anything because of rumor, they need real data. If I voice out all my request, and they make the product base on my request. I may end up don't buy anything, because I never show them I really need it, and I never show them my buying power.

No matter what they said in their vision and mission, it's all about money. They don't case anything without actual cash flow.

11. apphotography macrumors regular

Who buys Cydia? OS design is always being shaped by design trends in the industry not by hackers and pirates.

12. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Who buys Appstore? People buying products offered in Cydia, not Cydia, please don't be silly.

13. MacVidCards Suspended

Glad you are happy with the card.

We are very proud of it and being able to offer Mac enthusiasts some awesome options.

As I told Steve when he was here today, we will be working with the original 10 buyers to figure out if we need to make any changes to the rom before releasing widely to rest of Mac community.

Thanks to the brilliant Netkas. Best Mac GPUs come from us. And of course thanks to Nvidia for continuing to release drivers.

14. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Out of curiosity, does this ROM enable the card to at least get you into OS X without the nvidia web driver installed? One annoyance for me is if somehow this driver gets accidentally disabled (usually with an OS X update), I have to physically switch graphics cards to turn it back on, then put my 980 back in.

15. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

Aww man i didnt preorder because i thought it was going to be the acx design and not the reference card

16. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

whats with the slot positioning?

----------

if this is like macvidcards other stuff, yes.

17. koyoot macrumors 601

koyoot

So far whole PC market is going in the Apple-ish direction. Everything soldered on, non removable.

Intel stops producing Motherboards, and will not allow anyone to produce them. Skylake is pretty much last gen with LGA socket for desktop, so say good bye to PC's in the form we know today. BGA is the way. If you will want a classic PC, just buy Xeon. Why? Because going from 22 to 14 nm increased the production costs 4 times. Going from 14 to 10 will increase them another 5 times. They just cannot afford to produce low profit margin Desktop parts. Or low margin anything.

AMD is working on solution that will remove the need for crossfiring GPUs and will just bring Clustering to market. Simply, lets say, 50 AMD GCN GPUs in a rack, connected via Thunderbolt to Mac Pro will give one big GPU. Made from 52 GPUs.
    Example of this technology we have already in iPad Air 2, where there is not a GPU, but GPU cluster made from 2 GPUs.

Another thing is the idea of Discreet GPU. Soon, cause of Intel, and getting rid of PCi 2.0 Lines from CPUs(thats their Idea of bringing more efficiency to CPUs...) you will not be able to connect by that lines a dGPU to CPU. Nvidia released something to go around this problem called NVlink. Time will tell if it is working. Thunderbolt, and exGPU is a totally different story. You know exactly where to look - Apple and Mac Pro.

18. skippermonkey macrumors member

I bought a GTX 780 from MVC and am completely happy with it. Yes it was pricey, but i have a faster GPU than the vast majority of Mac users, and it runs fine. I'd be interested to see how the 780 compares to the 980 in Octane render benchmarks.

Also, would it be possible to run two GTX 980s in a Mac Pro, without external power? I'd heard someone was trying it.

19. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

I'm running two 970s in mine, reference cards with 6 pin splitters fine, but thats probably the max you can risk (146w x 2) without external psu, doesn't make a shred of difference in OS X though, can run sli in windows which is nice.

20. kennyman macrumors regular

@stevedusa

Do you have FCPX? Could you please run the BruceX benchmark and post your time? Many thanks

21. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Ladies (I won't presume anything) and gentlemen,

You are beating a dead horse. That ship has sailed. Let me remind you that someone once said "can't innovate any more, my ass!"

Exactly! Apple no longer cares what happens to cMP's. Had you been having this argument a few years ago, it would have been interesting, even relevant. Today, sadly, it is neither.

Rather base your psychological/economics theoretizations on the actual premises:
    - Apple is a hardware sales company.
    - Apple currently offers the nMP, where GPU usability is not dependent merely on ROM
    - Lacking TRIM support shows very little impact.

RGDS,

22. stevedusa thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry but I am a Premiere guy :p Also for some reason I were able to use CUDA rendering with the 680 but not the 980. The old CS6 trick of adding CUDA_supported_cards.txt to the app content doesn't work with CC. It reverts back to OpenCL.

Any pointers? Not that it doesn't work but I'd love to take full advantage of CUDA if possible.

----------

Now I had the 980 in the upper slot, close to the drive bays. I was told to do that with the 680 so I'd assume I should do the same with the 980.

Am I in the wrong slot? Should I move it to the lower slot?

Somehow it's a bit louder than my 680 under load lol...

23. scottsjack macrumors 68000

You're exactly right. The reason I just bought a used 2012 MP 3.2 quad and am upgrading the CPU, storage and RAM is that I see nothing coming in the future from Apple that I would rather have. All three Macs I purchased in 2014 were 2012 models, one used, two new.

24. netkas macrumors 65816

Pointer - http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,8674.0.html

----------

Last thing I observed - it boots fine if no webdriver installed, just no res change and no acceleration.

25. stevedusa thread starter macrumors regular

THANKS a LOT netkas! MVC was talking highly about you yesterday when I went to pick up the 980.

I'll try your method tonight! Though I've never done it before but hey, there is always first time.

Also... I kind off want to go with netkas regarding a fresh OS X with no nVidia driver installed boot on GTX. I remember when I fresh installed 10.10 on my MP with my flashed 680 it'll boot just fine. Yes no acceleration but it was running on native res on the monitor and works just fine. Although MVC told me with the 980 and a fresh OS, or reverted back OS X driver I'll get a hang if I boot, but I think until I really test that out, I won't be able to tell.

Maybe, I should boot into recovery partition and see if that works? I mean the recovery does not have the identical kext drivers as the live OS right?