Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
With an unflashed 980 you have to remove the card with every OS and Web Driver update before it will work again.
What function does removing the card do? Surely if you have a supported card for the grey boot screen you don't need to remove the GTX980?

stevedusa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
What function does removing the card do? Surely if you have a supported card for the grey boot screen you don't need to remove the GTX980?

I'll explain it clear for MVC here.

In order to for the graphic card work under OS X, including boot screen and installation, EFI, or a "flashed" card is required. Sure you can keep the stock, unfleshed 980 in the system but if somehow the nVidia Web driver is NOT present and the system simply will not have any display what so ever.

With a card flashed with EFI, even when the nVidia driver was NOT present at any given environment such as installation or fresh OS X, the card will work but to a limited fashion. i.e. no acceleration, no native resolution support and such. It is upon installing the nVidia driver, a stock card will then have extended function such as CUDA, acceleration and such.

The bottom line is, without a flashed card to present or display the desktop environment for you, there is no way you can install nVidia driver, unless you have remote control setup, which I highly doubt is enabled with a fresh OS X install.

Hope that explains.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I think he means that there is no requirement to "remove" the card. you can install another card (e.g. GT120) with the 980 still there and then install / activate the Nvidia web driver.

comdico

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2015
Hi Guys,

Been a lurker here for a while which is how I found out about the MacVidCard GTX980. Mine arrived today and, after installing it, I cannot get my Mac Pro to get past the boot screen.

I am running a fresh install of Yosemite on my MacPro 5,1. I have an email out to the seller, but does anyone know if I need drivers to make the card operational?

Thanks,

David

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Hi Guys,

Been a lurker here for a while which is how I found out about the MacVidCard GTX980. Mine arrived today and, after installing it, I cannot get my Mac Pro to get past the boot screen.

I am running a fresh install of Yosemite on my MacPro 5,1. I have an email out to the seller, but does anyone know if I need drivers to make the card operational?

Thanks,

David

Yes, you need to install the newest web driver from NVIDIA before installing the card.

comdico

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2015
Thanks Pressure. That seemed to do the trick. Took me a while to find what I needed to download, but I have got it up and running. Going to test Resolve shortly.

It would have saved me a lot of time and grief if the seller had just included a couple of sentences in an email to describe the steps and links to the software installers needed.

Put a sour taste in my mouth and marred what could have been a much better sales experience, especially given the added cost over a stock card.

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Thanks Pressure. That seemed to do the trick. Took me a while to find what I needed to download, but I have got it up and running. Going to test Resolve shortly.

It would have saved me a lot of time and grief if the seller had just included a couple of sentences in an email to describe the steps and links to the software installers needed.

Put a sour taste in my mouth and marred what could have been a much better sales experience, especially given the added cost over a stock card.

preorder page lists reqs, one of them is a proper driver, check it out http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p42/PREORDER_Nvidia_GTX_980_4_GB_Mac_Edition.html

ShawnF

macrumors regular
May 10, 2014
Is upgrading to 10.10 mandatory to use GTX 980?

I kinda like my 10.9.5 on my flashed Mac Pro 4.1 and have no plans to upgrade to Yosemite. But then I saw on the link posted by Netkas the one of the requirements to use the GTX 980 is OSX 10.10 (or later version).

Can anyone verify if there is a need to upgrade to 10.10? I hope the Mavericks users like myself can still use the GTX 980 and I am certainly interested in purchasing one from MacVidCards.

Pending

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I kinda like my 10.9.5 on my flashed Mac Pro 4.1 and have no plans to upgrade to Yosemite. But then I saw on the link posted by Netkas the one of the requirements to use the GTX 980 is OSX 10.10 (or later version).

Can anyone verify if there is a need to upgrade to 10.10? I hope the Mavericks users like myself can still use the GTX 980 and I am certainly interested in purchasing one from MacVidCards.

Check the link netkas provided above, there you will find all the details and system requirements.

ShawnF

macrumors regular
May 10, 2014
Check the link netkas provided above, there you will find all the details and system requirements.

I did. The details on the page says you need OSX 10.10 or later. So I guess Mavericks users are out of luck?

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
I think he means that there is no requirement to "remove" the card. you can install another card (e.g. GT120) with the 980 still there and then install / activate the Nvidia web driver.

That was my understanding too but that is not what MVC or stevedusa are implying. AIUI provided you have the free PCIe slot then keeping a cheap low end supported card like a GT120 in one of the slots & buying an unflashed PC GTX980 is going to save you about $300.

MassMacMan

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
Boston MetroWest
That was my understanding too but that is not what MVC or stevedusa are implying. AIUI provided you have the free PCIe slot then keeping a cheap low end supported card like a GT120 in one of the slots & buying an unflashed PC GTX980 is going to save you about $300.

There is one caveat with this setup - if you want to boot in Windows (rather than using virtualization under MacOS), you can't have a GT120 installed. I tried that, and Windows can only use the GT120 - it won't use the GTX970. I keep my GT120 in a desk drawer, ready to install if I need it. Otherwise, I use the GTX970 alone.

KlausE

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2008
There is one caveat with this setup - if you want to boot in Windows (rather than using virtualization under MacOS), you can't have a GT120 installed. I tried that, and Windows can only use the GT120 - it won't use the GTX970. I keep my GT120 in a desk drawer, ready to install if I need it. Otherwise, I use the GTX970 alone.

I'm in the same boat. I have a blue screen on boot of Windows 7 (64bit) with both cards installed (GTX980 and GT120 in my case).

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Yes, if you get the MVC modified GTX 980, it will boot using the stock Mac Drivers, and allow you to install the Nvidia Cuda and Web Drivers without doing a card shuffle.

Lou

stevedusa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Wait, I thought it was stated earlier in the thread that one advantage of the Mac version of the 980 was that if the nVidia web driver got disabled, you could still boot into the system to fix it? This seems to be saying the opposite...

^^^^Yes, if you get the MVC modified GTX 980, it will boot using the stock Mac Drivers, and allow you to install the Nvidia Cuda and Web Drivers without doing a card shuffle.

Lou

I personally tested it. Final word is, MVC's flashed 980 WILL, I repeat, WILL work with no nVidia driver installed on 10.10. As I mentioned if you somehow need to reinstall the OS X, the MVC's card will display properly to a single monitor without nVidia's driver during installation and boot to OS X desktop. It's limited function but unlike stock cards, MVC's card will display to a single monitor in limited function WITHOUT nVidia's driver installed.

TL;DR: MVC's flashed card don't need to be physically swapped out in case of no nVidia driver present.

Hope I made that clear.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Hi Guys,

Thanks,

David

I was mainly referencing this post. It seemed to be saying that without the nVidia web driver installed prior, this user was unable to get the system to boot using the MVC 980.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012

I have no interest in running Windows on my Mac so it looks like I just saved $300.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
I was mainly referencing this post. It seemed to be saying that without the nVidia web driver installed prior, this user was unable to get the system to boot using the MVC 980.

Ok. I'm curious too.

Seemed awful fast that a lurker got a real MVC 980 so quick. That and he said that "the seller" could have included more info has left me very curious as to what that poster actually has.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
the stress that comes with the petty fighting

There wouldn't be petty fighting if people like you who aren't interested in this particular solution didn't come into threads like these to tell the rest of us how stupid we are for having different preferences and priorities than you do.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
There wouldn't be petty fighting if people like you who aren't interested in this particular solution didn't come into threads like these to tell the rest of us how stupid we are for having different preferences and priorities than you do.

That's all this guy ever does. I placed him on my ignore list a while back. I'd like to see MR give him the boot.

That said, I'm looking forward to paying MVC for one of these GTX 980 cards. Having purchased from him before, I have full confidence in his wares and support.

Pending

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014

Oh well, as we say where I come from, mustn't grumble.
Good to hear you got it sorted, do remember you are using a pioneering product and not a general commercial mass released one! I think some of us forget that sometimes.
Keep in touch with these forums to stay informed about latest drivers etc and good luck with your test with Resolve. From what I read MVCs GTX980 has come along way but there is hope that future software drivers will unleash other functions. A well deserved pat on the back to MVC me thinks!

electonic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2014
Is there a way to just get a ROM made?
As a paid service, of course!
It's not very practical to order a card from the US for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.