So i have this ring

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kermit the frog, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Kermit the frog macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

I have this "leo" diamond engagement ring I had bought for a girl from a past relationship. Long story short...we broke up I got to keep the ring but she has all the paper work for it and won't give it up. I don't know what to do with it...I want to sell it and just get rid of it (my current girlfriend doesn't like having it around)

Any ideas?

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Pawnshop, craigslist, cash4gold.com, eBay, independent jewelers...

3. JLatte macrumors 6502

Take a trip to Mount Doom?

To be honest, I'm not sure you could get more without the paper work than what you could get at a pawn shop. Maybe try taking it to several jewelry shops and seeing if they can assess it for a price? They can check the diamonds for the laser engravements to see if it's been reported stolen usually, and once they see it's legit maybe they might give a price?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Can you trade it up at the store where you bought it?
    Maybe a little nicer ring for the new love of your life?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. Kermit the frog thread starter macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

I've gone to a million shops and they won't do anything without any paperwork which really sucks...I bet they get a lot of stolen stuff that comes though. I don't trust craigslist (there have been some pretty scandalous scams on the news around here lately)

I'd even trade this ring for a xbox360 and stuff. I just want it gone :(

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Where did you purchase it? Have you asked them about the paper work?

7. Kermit the frog thread starter macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

Yeah i contacted the store, they don't have copies anymore of the original receipt...and they charge a worse re-stocking fee then apple!!! The only piece of paperwork I was able to find was the appraisal paper.

8. The3nd macrumors regular

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

That's a tough one man. You can research a little on ebay though, get an idea if that might be an avenue for you. Search by completed listings and tweak the search for rings like yours, see what they are selling for and if they are selling much at all.

Remember, quality jewelry increases in value, so holding on to it won't cost you money. And, in today's economy, it might be more lucrative to wait a while, or at least take your time selling it.

10. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

11. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Can you obtain copies of the certs from the jeweler you bought the ring from?

If not then maybe...

Summon her pathetic ass into conciliation court. You could get a judge to force her to pay for an appraisal as well as the court costs. Would serve her right for not being civil.
    :D

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's ridiculous that they don't keep the documentation... but is the restocking fee really worse than if you were to pawn it (if you could pawn it, i.e. if you did have the certificate)?

13. Kermit the frog thread starter macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

I would take her to court but unfortunately she is a manipulative sponge who cons her way in and out of everything. She is so far in debt with me it's not even funny. She is just a horrible person...and I'd like to sell this ring to help pay off some of the debt that she cause me :mad::confused:

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'd start demanding she give you the paperwork. That would make me pretty angry. However, did you buy it with a credit card? If so, can they give you the transaction info?

15. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

damn, how much did it cost you?!

if you mean the ex with the paperwork, good idea.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Could be irrational back and offer her a percentage of the sale and just not give it to her?

17. leishan macrumors 6502

Could you get duplicate paperwork from the place that you purchased it from? Sorry if this was already mentioned...

18. Kermit the frog thread starter macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

the diamond was about 1500 and the band was another 800-900 with the sizing and engraving and stuff. I wish i had a better camera other then my isight I'd snap a few pictures of it.

19. Kermit the frog thread starter macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

Here are some pictures....again sorry for the crappy quailty I don't have a nice digital SLR just a built in isight!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Meh... I'd cut completely free from any association with past relationships. But that's just me.. If you must, get cash. And then, when the time is right, buy the current gal a new one.

21. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Does the appraisal paper have a picture of the ring on it? The Canadian appraisal papers (at least the one I got for my wife's engagement ring) comes with a picture of the ring, details as to cut, colour, clarity and carats (as well as setting details). If your appraisal certificate is anything like mine I wouldn't know why any store wouldn't make an offer after a quick exam.

22. Kermit the frog thread starter macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

Yeah it has some of the ring info on it. But my name isn't on there...and in order to sell it the store needs proof that it's my property... and i'm not the kinda guy to go around do shady stuff.

23. Kermit the frog thread starter macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

yeah my current girlfriend is getting tired of seeing it lol....and i'm tired of hearing it lmao:p:p:p

24. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Why would the current girlfriend be tired of seeing it? Are you leaving it out all the time? It's a ring, friggin put it away somewhere. Out of sight, out of mind.

Unfortunately you're going to take a massive hit when selling it, with or without the paperwork. Just one of those things. blame the recession.

25. Kermit the frog thread starter macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

:eek::eek:curses george w. bush :eek::eek:

OBAMA 09'