So, I just broke my iPhone 6 Plus...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oh*216Zealot*iO, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Oh*216Zealot*iO macrumors newbie

...well, I cracked it pretty decently in it's upper right corner. Only the glass is broke, though, with no other damage. I had a Zagg glass screen protector on it AND a nice case too, which made this matter all the more frustrating (that and I NEVER have damaged any previous iterations of the iPhone that I've owned).

I do not, however, have Apple's warranty, so I am wondering what are the cheapest and best options/places to get the screen fixed and generally how long does it typically take to get fixed as well what is the usual cost to repair the screen.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, everyone!

2. TechnicallyTee macrumors 68000

TechnicallyTee

If im not mistaken its $179.99 to get the screen replaces on the Plus if you take it to the Apple Store. Don't quote me though. The costs are on the Apple website. Im pretty sure 179 is probably wrong.

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

The 6/+ screen will be more prone to breaking unless you have like a heavy duty case. If you can't live with it pay the replacement cost at Apple or if you're lucky they'll replace for free.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

iPhone Support: Screen Damage Repair

$130 for an Apple accidental damage replacement, and you've got a new screen.

5. Oh*216Zealot*iO thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all who have replied back and answered my question so far. I'm actually thrilled right now that the repair cost isn't NEARLY as high as I anticipated it'd be.

Any idea on how long it'd take Apple to replace?

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Also check on how you paid for the device; some credit cards offer accident protection for the first couple months.

7. thrilllho macrumors newbie

Make sure you go through Apple and not some fly-by-night shop, or you'll void your warranty.

8. Oh*216Zealot*iO thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured this much. I want it done correctly, so if it costs just a little bit more, so be it!

I just want my once-pristine and flawless iPhone 6 Plus back to looking brand new and beautiful again (like I've kept ALLY of my previous iPhones looking like until trade-in. Lol.)

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What kind of crack? Single hairline crack is covered under warranty.

10. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Please report what case was on the phone and what type of drop(height and impact surface).

11. Oh*216Zealot*iO thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I wish. More like a spiderwebish-looking couple of cracks that cover the upper right corner of the phone. I'll take a pic of it and post it with my wife's 6 Plus once we both get home from work for visual effect. Lol.

----------

I'll take a pic of it, as well as the packaging it came in upon purchasing it, and post it when I get some free time here in a little bit.

Such a shame too because it's a really nice, bad-ass case (or at least I THOUGHT it was. Haha!).

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you used a credit card with a 90-day accidental damage coverage, file a claim. Otherwise, get the screen replaced.

13. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Maybe, you can get it replaced with the new reinforce design spoken about HERE.

14. davewolfs macrumors regular

Buy Apple Care for $99 online than make a claim and pay $75.

15. willmtaylor, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You mean, commit fraud?

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplusnaen.html

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That stinks, OP. I hope you can get it fixed relatively inexpensively.

18. bad1550 macrumors regular

Cracked my 6 Plus 64 GB screen yesterday. Apple charged me $329 plus tax for new one. Has anyone had success with Discover for accident protection?

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't know if Discover is as easy as Amex, but if they are, all you have to do is give them a call to file a claim. Inform them you've already swapped it out for $329 plus tax. Once approved, they'd reimburse you either $329 plus tax or the price you paid ($399 plus tax) in the next billing cycle.

20. bad1550 macrumors regular

I will call and file claim. Thanks!

21. k-80 TS macrumors newbie

So, I just broke my iPhone 6 Plus...

I was quoted by Apple $130 to put a new screen in the 6+ I did not have any insurance on the phone. When I got to the store the tec just handed me a brand-new phone and charge me $130. Mine was cracked in the lower left-hand corner he said that the few that came back with cracked screens always was in the corner and isolated to a small area. The way the screen bends around the perimeter seems to be a concern to me.

22. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

It is $129 for a screen replacement on the 6 plus. Since they are so new, they will just give you a new replacement phone for that price.

I had a hairline crack on mine, and was expecting to pay the $130, but since it was just a hairline crack, I got mine replaced for free.

You can not just buy Applecare on-line. They need to see your phone in order to buy it.

23. kcvpr macrumors newbie

I bought Apple care for my iPhone 6 plus with both Apple employees that helped me knowing that my phone's metal casing was dented/cracked by the headphone jack. Then the next day I went back and had it replaced.

According to the tech that helped me, as long as the damage is cosmetic only you can still buy the apple care.

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If they aren't too busy, it usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour.

25. ryguy2303 macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

YMMV, but this was not the case for me. Had to pay, and it was only for a screen replacement.