So I just got a new Macbook :D

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Blondie :), Aug 6, 2010.

1. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Ok, I really didn't get a new Macbook...BUT! I did upgrade my RAM. It made such a HUGE DIFFERENCE! If there's anyone out there who's been contemplating upgrading your RAM from 2GB to 4GB, it is definitely worth every penny! I got mine from Crucial. Very satisfied :D

2. celticpride678

I'm actually kind of glad to hear this. I purchased a 4 GB RAM upgrade for my Mac from Crucial a few days ago and it should be coming in really soon.

Hopefully it helps me too!

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

2 to 4 is such a huge boost, 2 really is the minimum Snow Leopard can run on, it does feel like you get a new machine again :D

4. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

hell yeah it does guys! I mean, when I was using 2, whenever I logged in it would take a second to load everything, and I was ok with that (cause it was still 100 times faster than windows login :D ) but once I upgraded to 4, I could log in, and have mail and chrome open, FASTER than it did with the 2GB :D so happy haha

5. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Not even. If you think 2 to 4 is amazing, try what I did from 1 to 3. I went from "Windows-like" to "holy crap this Mac is fast" :)

6. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dude I'm sure that's exactly how you felt haha. What OS were you running? Cause I agree with what's been said on this post. 2 is the minimum for running snow leopard, and probably the minimum for leopard as well. I bet 3 was quite a lovely upgrade haha

7. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Snow Leopard. It wasn't super slow actually! It was a newly formatted Mac so it wasn't sluggish at all. As long as I didn't have more than 3 things running, it ran perfectly and booted up in about 15 seconds, much faster than my old Windows laptop. 3GB is a huge improvement that even I can feel though, this Mac could give Usain Bolt a run for his money... no pun intended hahaha

8. celticpride678

15 seconds? Do you have a SSD too? That's ridiculous

9. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Holy hell bobby, my MB started up in about 25 when it was brand new (I have the late 2009 MB) and now it's about 30. You must have an SSD, or something your not telling us, cause that's pretty flippin speedy there cupcake

10. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

O and so you know, the 4GB of RAM greatly helps the playability of SC2. I mean really? The loading of the game itself is faster, levels load faster, and run much much smoother :D

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Great. I'm glad I went for the MBP instead of Macbook (mainly for the RAM). Wasn't sure if it would be a huge differences, but it sure seems like it.

12. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha yeah the only reason I really went with a standard macbook is because it was cheaper. It was my first mac, and I didn't know how much I would really love it. I think the next computer I get will definitely be a Macbook Pro :)

13. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

15 second cold boot time = SSD. :D

No standard 5400rpm HDD (as found in the Macbook) will cold boot in 15 seconds.

As for getting a MBP, loved getting mine. Still have my 2008 Macbook though. And 4GB of RAM is def the minimum for Snow Leopard (unless you like looking at a spinning beach ball all the time. :) )

14. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dunno man...that beach ball is way cool to look at :D haha jk jk IMO the MB will definitely run on 2GB of RAM, but if you have a caffeine fueled attention span, 4GB definitely helps :D haha

15. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

It's not standard, haha. Definitely not an SSD but it's a 5400RPM 250GB drive that I put in after the original HD failed on me. I swear I get roughly 15-20 seconds from when I hit the Power button, screen powers up <20 seconds or less> and then I get to the login screen. Btw I've had this MacBook for about 2 weeks, it's literally a fresh install with almost nothing on it :p

16. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

17. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Yeah, I did a clean install on my MacBook's in order to sell them (one has a 250GB and one a 160GB 5400rpm HDD's - OEM Apple ones) and they cold boot in roughly 30-35 seconds.

But there is absolutely no possibility for a standard 5400rpm loaded with OSX 10.6 or even say Windows 7 to cold boot in 15 seconds.

18. hcho3 macrumors 68030

19. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crucial. It was only $99 USD for the 4GB upgrade, and I must say, I'm very impressed so far. Crucial is supposedly the "bargain brand" RAM, but it's still very fast, very effective. Good buy :cool:

20. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

i dont know. 1 does pretty good in my hackintosh with 10.5.6. way better than win7.

21. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice to know actually :) I was wondering how the RAM situation was on the windows side of things

22. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

Oddly enough, I had 4 gigs of RAM in my Macbook and the machine seemed to run fine. One of the sticks failed. I took the dead stick out and just left the other 2gb stick in there by itself. I haven't really noticed any performance issues at all. Perhaps the full 4gb wasn't really working even when both sticks were in there.

23. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

An extra 2GB RAM would be very handy for me, particularly during periods like this at the moment, when I have multiple Safari windows, iTunes, Mail, Twitter client and Colloquy open.

24. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

You would be amazed at what 2 gigs will get you through though. One day, just to push my macbook to it's limits, I just started opening apps like mad. I decided to stop once I got up to 22. It slowed down a bit, but it was still surprisingly functional...gotta love the way OS X is put together :D