So I spilled some liquid...need advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Martron, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Martron macrumors regular

So I spilled a cocktail on my macbook (I was sober) and let it dry out for a few days. Suprisingly it works (after 3 days of drying) but only on the power cord, it doesn't work on battery power at all even tho it says its fully charged.

I called applecare right after it happened saying i spilled cause i thought they may help. Dell fixed my laptop a few years ago for hte same issue and i have a friend who spilled milk on his macbook and got it fixed.

So I guess I have two questions. 1. What's wrong with it? 2. Will applecare keep a record of what I told them ( the guy said we don't cover it and recommended I let it dry out) or can I bring it in and say "stopped working?" If not how much do you think it will cost to get the battery fixed and perhaps the inside cleaned (I imagine it may be sticky cause it wasn't just water but its working, so i dunno).

Got any advice??

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Firstly... you're very lucky to have it working! In most cases the Logic Board gets fried! The battery has short circuited!
    No, Apple doesnt keep a record but they'll definitely know what happened!

P.S.: How clumsy can you be? I mean once bitten twice shy?:confused:

3. Martron thread starter macrumors regular

haha i know i know. Well do you think it's worth bringing in to apple? would i just need a new battery or what?

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

No... it definitely isnt worth unless you have a store nearby and lots of free time:p

You will need to purchase a new battery! Try ebay and you might get it for cheap!

5. Martron thread starter macrumors regular

well there is a store nearby and I don't mind heading over and waiting. The battery says it has full power when I press the button and the computer says its fully charged. Would getting a new battery definitely do the trick, or could it be a problem inside the computer? Maybe apple wouldnt notice? If they do, would they clean my comp for me or maybe I can do that myself? get rid of all the sticky stuff. But would they notice I opened it?

I just want to avoid voiding my warrant needlessly. If I bring in the comp and they notice water..they notice it. But if they notice I opened it, then that would be stupid cause you never know if maybe they wouldnt have noticed liquid. I read that the battery issue could be a power management thing and you can reset it or something but apple calls it a "last resort." I don't want to get a new battery and then realize the problem is not the battery, but the computer.

6. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

Take your lumps!

How about you try to live your life with a little integrity?

How's this for a plan?

1. You go to Apple store and tell employee what happened.
    2. They look at it and fix the issues(new battery, circuitry, what-have-you).
    3. You pay them for their expertise, service and parts.

Why do people come on internet forums looking for ways to lie and steal? I see this as a most disgusting trend. You were clumsy...take your lumps!

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They will open up the computer take a million pictures of the water damage and then tell you, you're warrany is voided.

8. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

And then they might charge you for telling you that, that is, if you had to send it in for a diagnostic. Get a new battery and maybe sell it on ebay - full disclosure of course, but maybe get it replaced. It would suck to have it die right in the middle of something important.

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Never do this or they will for sure void your warranty! And, Batteries cannot be opened and repaired/salvaged in a 'store'! They are a high tech piece of gadgetry and have numerous corroding chemicals inside at anodes and cathodes!

10. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

Sure, go ahead and lie. Steal if it suits you. People suck. And people complain about Apple going for high margins on their hardware.

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Who is stealing what?:confused:

If you read properly perhaps then you might notice I've told the guy to head out to an Apple store and purchase a NEW Battery or buy it from ebay! Where is stealing in this now... would please some one care to explain what R2 is trying to say?

12. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

Read back to the guys first post and subsequent posts.

"Will Applecare keep a record of what I told them or can I bring it in and say "stopped working"?"

Basically the whole point of this thread is what should I do guys? I spilt on my MacBook and I don't want to pay for the damage I caused. Should I get a new battery even though it might now be just the battery or should I take it into the Apple store and play dumb instead of just owning up to what has happened?

AppleStoreGuy: "So there appears to be some sticky liquid remnants all over the inside of your MacBook sir."

Martron: Really?!? That is quite surprising to me AppleStoreGuy. Is that covered under AppleCare?

Try rereading this thread. It's not what you have advised, it is what he is asking!

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

As long as he doesnt steal something from the Apple store to replace his MB, I dont consider it stealing! His MB is damaged but working for now.. he's not asking Apple to replace his MB for him! Even when the machine stops working, it'll be his choice to take it to Apple or get it repaired from some where else. In both the cases he'll have to bear the cost since Apple will know what has happened whether he tells them or not!

Where is he stealing?

And the batteries are'nt cheap! So even if his moral compass is pointing 'north-northeast' in the end he'll have to pay! No stealing!

14. Rorymac macrumors newbie

Help

I was away at a friends house when another friend acidentally kicked a jug of water over my stuff on the floor in the corner of the room. My recently bought macbook was amongst my stuff and got soaked, the water poured out and i spent the next few hours with towels and hair dryers trying to resurrect it with no luck. about a week later i tried again, no luck, it wont even turn on, the batery indecator shows 4 lights when i press it underneith. As i was registering for this forum i tried again with the lead in and nothing happened so i shut the lid then it suddenly sprung into life. Every thing was working apart from the power lead had a very dim light and the battery sign in the top right corner of the screen had a cross through it and said no power source. I thought maybe i had gotten lucky so i tried to restart it to see if it wasnt a one off fluke. It didnt turn back on.

Is it doomed? or is there hope?

:(

15. Martron thread starter macrumors regular

if it's been over a week....doesn't sound too hopeful. the best thing to do is take out the batter and unplug it immediately, then let it dry for a few days. thats what i did and now its working, just not on battery power.

And for the reason I started this is not to "decieve" Apple but I mean when it costs 900 bucks to replace a logic board but costs 950 to get a refurbished macbook, its kinda ridiculous. Of course I'll go for the new one but shouldnt I be able to get a part or two fixed in my used macbook for like half the price than buy another "used" one that has been completely fixed and cleaned like new??? That would be the only reason I would lie. And like I said before, if they know what happened, they know. I'll continue to support apple, I just think that their out of pocket repairs are ridiculous when you can get a low end BRAND NEW macbook for less than most repairs they quote on the same computer.

16. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

That's apple's general tack - give an expensive repair estimate and hope for a sale.

I would recommend looking for an independent apple repair shop. I've done several spill repairs and the two things most often affected are the keyboard/trackpad assembly and the connector that runs from the board to the battery. It's a DIY/warranty-voiding repair but it can be as little as $40.

17. Rorymac macrumors newbie

if i diy it wont it void the warrenty? if i just say it stopped working can they find out that its water damage if its all evaporated?

18. Martron thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to bring mine into apple and getting the damage assessed. I'm hoping that the battery just shorted and its not an internal problem. If you bring it in and they notice its water they won't take it away from you, they'll just give you an estimate and give it back. If you do that...you can go ahead and do a diy fix if you feel the need. You'll already know they won't fix it. If you bring it in adn they don't realize and fix it, then you won't need diy. My advice is just bring it in and see what they say.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They are flat rates--the same for all computers.

And yes go have them look at it; they have spare batteries to see if that's the issue.

20. spenc247 macrumors newbie

3 days ago i spilt 12oz of Mountain Dew on my MACBOOK and as soon as i did that i turned it off and wiped it off, and held it under a fan for two days, and sometime would try turning it on than turning it back off, and it would turn on, but not the screen,...i recently have taken the battery out and have taken a blow-dryer to it and it is currently sitting in a TEEPEE stand with a fan blowing on it...(i havent tried turning it on for awhile) i kno its most likely water damage, but if anybody knows more about this please please let me know what I can do now

21. eman macrumors 6502a

You should have removed the battery and magsafe right away.
    Anyway, don't tun it back on. Remove the logic board and clean the residue off the logic board, let dry over night and re-install. Then pray it works.

22. nc7r macrumors member

nc7r

Yes they do..

23. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Get it repaired from a reliable Mac repair shop! And how can you be so sure that the mac's working fine? I mean do you have some solid proof that the PCB is working afterall? If its working then somethings wrong with the screen!

Besides MDew is sweet so just 'drying off' isnt going to help! You must remove try to clean the insides!

Thanks for the correction! Another reason you avoid Apple in these situationS!

24. kam760 macrumors newbie

Similar Situation

Im in a similar situation as you, except i didn't actually spill anything on it, yet they accuse me of and hence want £495 to fix the problem (battery not recognised). For all those who say im lying that i didnt spill any, the fact that i have OCD and cant even use my macbook (black) without washing my hands for 5 minutes to prevent marks (let alone eating and drinking near i), kind of proves my innocence.
    I'd jsut be honest with a Genius member, and hope that they are nice enough to fix it :). If not try another store or at another time and hope you meet someone nice.
    And for all those calling him/her an idiot, have some respect. He paid for his goods and has a right to complain, and it is not like he/she PURPOSELY spilled liquid.

25. mkelly macrumors regular

Amen!

My girlfriend's laptop had a coffee spilled on it, and now the keyboard and trackpad work intermittently. We took it to the local Apple store (we have AppleCare) and when they asked us if there was any liquid spills, we said yes.

Our warranty will not be voided - in fact, they said they'd cover the labour under warranty. They also said that they'd do their best to cover parts as well, but we may have to pay for those depending on the exact problem.

The Genius really seemed to appreciate our honesty, and tried his best to accommodate us. We'll see what the final bill comes to, but honestly - the spill was our fault. Not charging us for labour, not voiding our warranty, and possibly covering the parts too? That's more than acceptable.