So I think my jailbreak ACTUALLY just bricked my iPhone4, Please read.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kayzle, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Kayzle macrumors member

I know what you're thinking, it's probably just another kid who got scared when he saw the phone go to recovery mode and he just needs to restore.

But this isn't the case...

Today I got a text message and as I went to check it my phone immediately turned off and then went into recovery mode.

I thought it was weird that it did that for no reason but I didn't sweat it bc I knew I just needed to plug into iTunes and restore.

Here's the weird part:

I plugged it in and it gave me the usual "you need to restore before using" and I clicked ok and it went through it's paces but just as it got to this part of the process

http://imgur.com/3eDAw

The screen kind of flashed and then it aborted the restore and gave me this error

http://imgur.com/CBusx

The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (9).

I've gotten this error several times on three different computers (so the problem isn't with my mac's or my usb plugs) that #9 error relates to USB problems but that can't be accurate considering I've tried it with so many computers and cables

I've also deleted my previous backup files from itunes and downloaded a fresh version or 5.1.1 to restore with.

I've even tried putting the device in DFU mode and booting tethered through redsnow as a last resort and it gets to the pineapple logo and then goes back into recovery mode.

Please give me any tips, I've done several google searches and haven't found anything that has fixed my problem, am I doomed?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can't brick an iOS device. As long as it still powers on and goes into DFU mode, it isn't bricked. If the DFU mode restore on multiple computers doesn't fix it, then it's a hardware problem.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

4. Kayzle thread starter macrumors member

As I said, I've done this

5. SleekB macrumors member

SleekB

if you can access cydia at all, delete anything you installed last. matter fact, delete a bunch of things until your device starts functioning like normal again.

when my iphone goes to safe mode unexpectedly like that, i either press 'restart' or go to cydia and do what i told you. 100% of the time fixed my problem.

6. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

if you haven't already tired this it might be worth a shot

Here's the method:

Download RecBoot 1.0.2
    I found it here: http://www.sebby.net/659-released-recboot-1-0-2/
    Plug in your iPhone.
    Close iTunes.
    Run "RecBoot Exit Only"
    Click the "Exit Recovery Mode" button.
    The screen on the iPhone will go black. At this point, UNPLUG the iPhone (before it starts back up)
    It will boot up correctly after finishing the firmware install.
    Now plug your iPhone back in and complete a normal restore.

source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2508016?threadID=2508016&tstart=0

7. Kayzle thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, I have also tried that as well though

8. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

I Assume that you set phone up as new and not from backup?

9. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

I hate to say it but it really does sounds like a hardware issue, you could try going to a apple store and see if they will at least look at, just don't tell them it was jailbroken - play dum

10. Kayzle thread starter macrumors member

I've actually done this as well, they didn't even look At it once I described the problem ( obviously didn't tel,l him about the JB) and he just said since I'm out of warranty he can only give me a replacement for $150

Seems awfully coincidental that it breaks a week after jb'ing

11. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

Just unlucky i guess if you think about how many jailbroken phones that are out there you bound to have a few faulty phones that break 1,2 days 1,2,3,weeks ,1month ,1year after jailbreaking it

12. Kayzle thread starter macrumors member

Guess so, this sucks, anyone selling a 3GS for cheap?

I refuse to pay $150 for another iPhone 4 so close to launch

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You're 4 months away from the launch of the next iPhone.

14. Kayzle thread starter macrumors member

Yea too close to buy another iPhone 4 IMO

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

My guess is that you are not really going into DFU mode, try it again...

If not you can give/sell it to me (for real)...

16. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Make sure you're doing pwned dfu.. also, if you're going to look for a cheap 3GS.. then why not just get the replacement for your iPhone 4 from the Apple Store? It'd be around the same price..

17. thelatinist, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

That's my guess, too.

OP: You do not say that you have attempted to restore through iTunes while in DFU mode. Even if you think you have, please try again. Remember that it should be done with the phone plugged in and iTunes open. You must hold both home and power buttons for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button only and comtinue to hold home until iTunes recognizes a phone in DFU mode. There should be nothing on your phone's screen at all; if there is an Apple logo, then you're in Recovery mode, not DFU. Keep trying.

If you have truly put your phone in DFU mode, then it is simply not possible that it cannot be restored to the latest firmware barring hardware failure.

ETA: A quick Google search revealed that error 9 is caused by a loss of USB connection during restore. Try cleaning the dock connector on your phone and using a different USB cable. If you still can't get it to work, your dock connector port is probably shot.

18. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

This was my thought as well - the Error 9 may refer to a USB error with the cable, and not necissarily with the computers you've used. If that's the case, it explains why you've had the same issues on different computers... Good luck!

19. Kayzle thread starter macrumors member

PM me a fair price and it's yours.

Just to clear up whether I have done this or not here is a screenshot of redsnow over my itunes shwoing I am indeed in DFU mode while restoring

What happens is it begins to restore and shortly after it gets to the "verifying restore with apple" the phone screen flashes, the phone kicks back into recovery mode, and error 9 pops up

http://i.imgur.com/xnv9Q.png

----------

I've tried it on 3 different computers and three different cables, highly doubt its a problem with any cables or computer usb ports.

At this point seems like the only option is hardware failure.

----------

pwned DFU is the one thing i haven't really tried bc I'm not sure what to do.

I've done so and gotten to this screen:

http://i.imgur.com/Gj0fb.png

But I'm not sure what to do after that point, do I then go to iTunes and restore normally?

20. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

It's hardware related, but it's not caused by jailbreaking. When your phone is in restore or DFU mode, the software is wiped, thus jailbreaking couldn't cause it. To my knowledge, there are no jailbreak mods that can switch any drivers for the hardware, thus they couldn't have caused this error. It seems it has happened to those that haven't jailbroken too.

It will need to be replaced, per other similar error posts online:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2478079?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/message/11719104?messageID=11719104#11719104?messageID=11719104

Did some more research and I believe it's an issue with the Samsung flash chip. Seems really rare, so I'm sorry you're not covered under warranty!

I would go into Apple and at least give it a try with the genius bar. Just be courteous and explain that you've done your homework and it's caused by a rare faulty memory chip, and demonstrate that you have physically taken care of the phone, and you may get lucky. Just remember it's technically not covered so they owe you nothing, but at the very least you may get a free or cheap replacement.

21. Kayzle thread starter macrumors member

I had an appt. with the apple store yesterday, went in and told them what happened and they didn't even look at it. Just told me if It's under warranty or if not I could buy another for $150. He wasn't even interested in looking at it. I pleaded for them to look at it but he said that's just the way it was going to be.

Guess I'm screwed.

Thank you for trying to help though

22. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Your issue sound's like the one I had, a long time ago though.

I know that I had to use a specific version of recboot to get it to work.

I know you said you'd given it a try already, what version(s)?

The version somebody linked to before was 1.0.2. this one http://www.sebby.net/2011/11/looking-for-recboot/ is 2.2

Happened a long time ago so I don't remember the specifics, but the default version I found in search didn't work. After looking at tons of threads I found a link to another version that did fix.

23. Kayzle, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

Kayzle thread starter macrumors member

Ok I will try this again, do I just use these steps below?

"Download RecBoot 1.0.2
    I found it here: http://www.sebby.net/659-released-recboot-1-0-2/
    Plug in your iPhone.
    Close iTunes.
    Run "RecBoot Exit Only"
    Click the "Exit Recovery Mode" button.
    The screen on the iPhone will go black. At this point, UNPLUG the iPhone (before it starts back up)
    It will boot up correctly after finishing the firmware install.
    Now plug your iPhone back in and complete a normal restore."

Here's what I don't understand, it says unplug the phone and it will boot correctly after the firmware finishes installing, well I'm not installing firmware.

and when i unplug it after hitting exit recovery it just goes right back into recovery

It seems like I'm missing something before the step about the "frimware installing"

24. Netherscourge, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

Netherscourge macrumors 6502

Have you tried editing the WIndows hosts file?

This is from Apple's own trouble-shooting site:

----You're basically taking that "hosts" file and erasing everything in it and just saving it as an empty file. When you run iTunes or any other program that uses that file, it'll automatically rebuild itself with the data it needs.

25. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

Maybe try running things as admin? Recboot, itunes, etc.