SO I took my MBP through a carwash...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pelloir, Nov 17, 2008.

1. pelloir macrumors newbie

It was on the passenger seat in its neoprene case when water came through a gap in the window... duh.

Now it works fine with the power lead, but there's no light on the magsafe plug, and the battery is at 0& and won't charge.

Does this sound like a problem with:

a) the DC/sound in-board
    b) the cable attaching DC/sound in-board to the battery
    c) the logic board
    d) my brain

PS if you think its (d) please do not respond.

Thanks for your help. :eek:
    Matt

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I don't know why you are driving with your windows down in the middle of winter anyway!

3. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

must have been A LOT of water, neoprene is pretty absorbant so it should have absorbed a little of the water, I am imagining a waterfall through your window if it damaged the macbook. but I say D for leaving your window cracked

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the magsafe doesnt always light up on my computer, i just got a brand new charger and it doesnt make any difference. thankgod that your computer is still working fine!!! haha

5. ninman macrumors member

I know I shouldn't laugh, but I couldn't help it. That is brilliant.

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

This is right up there with last summer's "love juice" spillage/accident and the spider hiding under the escape key one.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I sure hope you let it air dry out for at least 2 days and pulled the battery immediatly? Plugging it in and turning it back on to see if it still works after it got wet is a very big no-no and #1 noob mistake because there can be water on the inside and could short everything out and fry what's left.

I still do along with the AC blasting. It's still 90 degrees down here in Southern California. :p

8. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

...and the middle of spring here in Aus!

9. pelloir thread starter macrumors newbie

Well a big thank you to those who replied but it seems you all believed the main problem was with (d) my brain.

Now I don't disagree and I'm pleased to provide some amusement, but would also be pleased to know whether I should purchase and change the DC in/board, or whether its likely to be something else.

Also is a dc/sound inboard for a 2MHz MBP identical to the one for a 2.33MHz one?

thanks
    matt :eek::eek:

10. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Errm.. those MacBook Pros don't exist... they made MacBook Pro models 1024 times faster though, at 2GHz and 2.33GHz respectively:D But the chipset on both is the same. Napa.

11. jgo78 macrumors 6502

12. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

It IS (d). One has ought to have courage for honesty. But (s) happens. It could have been anyone. Soon they will have stickers that could detect if an electronic device has been going for a swim or been drinking. As they do to cell phones. In your case, drink-driving. Another innocent customer seeking exchange for a faulty product?

13. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

It's not like a British person to forget there are other countries outside their own! Nay, a whole other hemisphere! And I say that as a British person :)

14. pelloir thread starter macrumors newbie

Caffe do you have some problems with (d) also? :)

So Napa I could put a dc/sound in-board from a 2MHz machine into my 2.33Mhz MBP without issue?

thanks
    matt

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ghz.

if the chipsets are the same then yes, as long as they are from the same sized mbp (15.4 inch model)

16. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

A similar thing happened to me. I went to have a shower and after 20 mins I realized that I'm still holding my brand new MBP in my hands and working on it .... can you help me ?

Seriously, I know that you must be pissed but how can you do such a thing ?

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

seriously.. how can you forget that you have a laptop in your hands??? :confused::confused:

18. Elloise macrumors member

I'm forever mistaking my Macbook for the George Foreman grill.

The magsafe light still functions but it smells of chicken.

19. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Errm... I think you're confusing my name with the chipset name here. My name's Raymond. The chipset is called Napa. The first two revs of macbook pro use Napa chipsets. The first gen used Napa chipset+Yonah chip, the 2nd gen used Napa chipset+Merom chip.

20. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Maybe he doesn't like Windows? :p

21. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

They do, you missed the memo.

22. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

This was of course a joke.

23. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

windows down with ac on? you are pretty stupid m8, that stops the ac working.

24. pelloir thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your excellent contribution Tex-Twil. Laugh? I nearly did.

Anyone else actually have some useful advice? (thanks so far DoFo and Raymond - Guess its not Napa then...:eek:)

25. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

It's hard to diagnose the problem if the internals got wet. You never answered the question if you tried turning it right away to see if it still worked, even if you took a towel to it but the internals could still have been wet and shorted the battery or maybe even the DC-in board or even worse part of the motherboard.

Pulling the battery and leaving it sit for a few days to let it dry out completely would have been the best you could do without causing further damage in turning it on right after wards.

I'd first test with a New AC adapter and a known working battery before tearing the MB apart. If you're close to one, why not take it in to the Apple Store and let a genius see what he thinks about it. Just be sure to call and make an appointment. Good luck.

*added*
    Sorry but no offense though but you started it when you put (D) as an answer in the original post so it does seem like you have a sense of humor. It will only result with a bunch of dumb and pointless/useless responses.