So I was at the new Yankee Stadium on Sat...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dissdnt, Apr 20, 2009.

1. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

All around the new stadium there's AT&T advertising. There's even this animated banner across the entire stadium that says AT&T is the official carrier of the Yankees.

Best part? No 3G, and Edge was so slow my dad and I couldn't even send a picture out by email or twitter.

So I guess that really represent the incredible service of AT&T.

You would think maybe they'd spend a few bucks to make sure service was great at that location.

Good job AT&T!

2. jackryan57 macrumors regular

No wi-fi?? wtf

3. pavvento macrumors 6502

My thoughts exactly. I clicked on public
    Wifi and it brought me to a Yankee login page but required credentials.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

The Yankees were blocking all transmissions on Saturday. They don't want any evidence of the 22-4 clobbering to escape the stadium.. :eek:

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'm not all that surprised. This is what usually happens when you get several thousand phones concentrated in a very small area. They're all hitting the same 1 or 2 towers and totally overloading them. I've never had much luck when at large event trying to do anything data related. Sometimes I'm able to get a temporary signal by switching 3G off and on to force it to try and reconnect to the tower.

6. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

7. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Well what do you expect when they have the highest ticket average in all of MLB and still suck at baseball? :D

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Standard swamping of cellular networks in stadiums. It's normal.

And wifi at a ballpark? Most still don't have it.

9. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Ya. They did have wifi, you need some u/p for it. Post it here if ya know one :) hehe

10. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

yea this is completely normal. i usually get a couple bars of service in stadiums and data is always completely worthless. thats when happens when 50k extra people are all of a sudden jamming up a tower

11. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Ha thats cause the yankees suck. Go Sox all the way.

Although I would like to visit the new staduim.

I went to the old one and got service last year so it makes no since that there is no service when it only moved across the street

12. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

The 3G antennas in the stadium were probably loaded to max capacity.
    At a Ravens game last year I was sitting in my seat and my phone would bounce to EDGE whenever someone scored.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

+1. Someone must've never been to a big-time college football game. Try putting a call through with 90,000 other people within 200 yards of you in some town of 1/3 that size every other day of the year. If they had a WiFi connection active for public use, you'd probably find the same problem because of all the other fans with smart phones.

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Especially at Yankee Stadium where ticket prices are ****ing expensive.

15. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I wouldn't bash AT&T too much. The Sprint network in my area crashed New Years Eve 2009 to the point where nothing would go through, while my AT&T iPhone 3G was still buzzing away. No doubt they should boost their coverage around the stadium on big nights though.

16. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Yeah, data & voice service is always an issue at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor. At full capacity, there are over 110,000 people at the Stadium and the entire city of AA is like 114k people.

17. chriszzz macrumors 6502

AT&T sponsors the shirts for my college's football student section, but good luck placing a call anywhere near the field.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If anyone does, please don't be that guy and post it here. It's most likely a network for journalists to use, and at Yankee Stadium they probably need a lot of bandwidth for the hundred or so that are there. Just deal without the Internet for 3 hours.

19. goingblue macrumors member

I consistently have this problem at the University of Phoenix stadium in Arizona. For two years now...wife, 3g and edge. Having seeked out more infromation on the subject I truly believe your statement to be true...

20. camarobh macrumors 6502

I agree

It is somewhat ironic that while sitting in a major league baseball park/stadium you see the AT&T logo and words like "official wireless carrier of xxxxx (fill in the team name) and they don't go to the trouble of installing AT&T wifi in the park/stadium. All of us understand that when you put 40,000-90,000 people in one place at one time with some percentage of them being AT&T customers you will overload the cell network. Think of the good will AT&T could generate by providing free wifi! Especially with apps like MLB At-bat that offer real time statistics.....unusable while you are at the game....

21. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

That's a big ol request, isn't it? They can provide mobile masts to increase capacity, and help, but does anyone know of a wifi network that takes that sort of numbers and bandwidth usage in such a comparative small space? I'm all for better and wider wifi, but it'd be a heck of a task to hook up a stadium, no? Guess if you have a roof on the stadium you have more options...

22. camarobh macrumors 6502

Many airports have free wi-fi and tens of thousands of people moving through them at any one time. I don't think its that hard, and is a missed opportunity for AT&T. Oh well, dare to dream.

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Airports have a lot of people waiting for stuff (flights). Sports parks usually have a few thousand people there to watch an event. I get the craving for it, but it makes little economical sense. The cell carrier should maybe improve the cell service for people making calls, but why would you want people paying to watch a baseball game to be surfing the Internet?

24. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Whenever I'm at our football games (Penn state games) service is horrid as well. I think its just because there is so many people at once. We have 3G usually, but Edge will only work throughout the day. Although I agree they should do something to help the issue....

25. camarobh macrumors 6502

Lots of good reasons to have wifi at a baseball game. First is MLB At Bat. A great application with real-time statistics. Second is to pay attention to other sporting events (results). Third is social networking (Twitter someone about a great play). Fourth is to send photos to people from the event. Fifth is to follow a breaking news story. I could go on, but that's enough for now....