So I was three people away...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amart26, Dec 22, 2008.

1. amart26 macrumors member

So I was 4th in line at att today waiting to get an iPhone when I decided I should wait until after macworld to see if the 32 gig comes out or anything else. Good choice or bad?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Did you want the iPhone today? If yes, it was a bad choice.

No one knows when it will get updated, but it's looking like nothing will happen to it at Macworld.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Your thread title lead me back to the days of the first release of the iPhone until I saw that word "today"

Well if you really need that much of space, assuming you're gonna put a lot of stuff on your iPhone (that I couldn't imagine since I have a 16gb and still have 7GB left) then it might be worth to wait. Just read the other threads here, this is becoming so repetitive.

5. amart26 thread starter macrumors member

Well I became eligble to upgrade today and I really like it but my iPod got stolen a few months ago and I've been looking to get a replacement and I figured I like the iPhone and need an iPod so I'll get that but I currently have around 9.5 gigs of music and its only gonna get bigger and I dont wanna be stuck with having to pick and choose which songs go on my iPhone. Plus I plan on putting a lot of apps on there so I'll need the space for that.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you're really concerned about storage space, then just wait. Down the road, the iPhone will get a storage boost. It looks like we might have to wait until the summer to see it.

7. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

You could try Simplify Media(an app), set up a host computer and you should be able to save up some space.

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I'm not sure about the US, but I'm sure that it's still selling like hot cakes here in the UK.
    practically every UK-based tech and mobile site, has the 3G as it's "Gadget Of The Year."
    It's been over a year now since I discovered the wonders of Mobile OSX and I adore my iPhone today, every bit as much as I did when I first got it(1st gen iPhone & 3G). :D

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What's that's based on?

As far as I can tell, a 32 GB iPhone will appear anywhere between tomorrow and next September. Beyond that I can't imagine why you have reason to believe that 'summer' is the most likely time over any other.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Because while they may announce it at MWSF, you're still looking at the time it takes to mass produce it, go through QA, and get it released. Guaranteed that they have not been mass producing it as of recent, so no, you won't be seeing it tomorrow. Case in point: Look how long it took to make the 3G.

Announced at MWSF? Maybe. If it is announced, expect it by June.

BL.

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I just guessed summer because the last 2 major revisions were done in the summer. There was a storage capacity increase at the beginning of last year, but the technology was already there. Given the fact that the 32GB chips will go into production at the beginning of the year, it will take some time to work its way into the iPhone.

Everything's a guess anyways. It's all rumors.

12. amart26 thread starter macrumors member

So should I go ahead and get it now if I'm not willing to wait until summer?

13. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Yes... and go have yourself a merry little Christmas... with a new iPhone!

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What? They're just waiting on the larger memory chips. Once they can get them, they'll start using them.

More like: Look how long it took to make the 16 GB. Once they could get enough 16 GB chips they started making 16 GB phones.

15. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I realize that there's a good chance that it won't, but if the iPhone doesn't get the 32Gb bump at MWSF I'll be pretty disappointed. I've been making do with a barely-clinging-to-life Moto RAZR for a while now -- I would replace it with an iPhone in a heartbeat, but I've also had a 32Gb iPod Touch for the last 8 months and have become spoiled by the capacity. If no iPhone bump is announced I'll just go ahead and buy the 16Gb phone (which other people can thank me for because I'm sure the bump will be announced shortly thereafter...).

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Since MWSF is only in the next three or four weeks, I'd wait until then. If nothing is announced by then, get it then. One more month's bill won't hurt you.

BL.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So wait, your evidence that the 2009 storage increase will happen in the summer is that the 2008 storage increase happened in the winter?

Uh...what?

18. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Thanks for clearing that up. That's exactly what I said. Please re-read my post.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok

I guess this is the meat of it. I'm just not clear why you think it will take Apple 5-7 months to start making use of the chips. That's what I'm not getting. That seems like an odd estimate. I think 1-2 months is much more likely.

20. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Well, if it only takes 1-2 months, it could come out in Spring of 2009. That seems unlikely considering the last 2 updates were done in the Summer. That was my point.

Just like the iPods are always updated in the Fall, I think the iPhone will be updated during the Summer.

21. jobsfnby macrumors regular

if your worried about space, unless you get songs everyday, your shouldn't need more than 16 gigs. most apps are only 10 megabites. i've had my iphone since the apps store came out and i download a TON of games and i only have maybe 600 megabites of apps taking up space. i've only seen a couple of games more than 30 mb. i've only seen one that was 250 mb and that was the CSI Miami app.

22. pintnight macrumors 6502

No, that is a horrible choice because the 64 gig will come out in June of 2009 and 128 gig in December of 2009 before Christmas.

That is a sarcasm.

23. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

Considering how well the iPhone retains it's value, I would say go for it now. You could always sell it back for more than what you paid for it. That's what I did when the 3G model came out.

24. icewing macrumors 6502

I had been hoping for a 32 gig, but went ahead and got a 16 gig at the end of August.

Out of the 14.6 gig "capacity", I've got just over 7 gig, half, still empty.

That includes the Apple iPhone Developer videos, 107 Applications, and 1086 songs (80 full albums and the rest partial).

So, if you're on the fence, do the math, and see if you REALLY need to wait for 32, or if you can pull the trigger and enjoy an iPhone NOW! :D

25. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I'm of the school that if you want something now, and it has the feature-set you want, go for it. Otherwise you'll be waiting forever.