Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you get a different color iPhone this time around?

• Yes, I switched to the opposite color.

Votes: 40 33.3%
  • No, I stayed with the same color.

Votes: 80 66.7%

• Total voters

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I used to have a white iPhone 3G, but today I made the switch to the dark side...

What I mean by that is... I just bought a black iPhone 3GS (32GB).

For a change, I thought I'd post a positive thread.

Like I said, I got a black iPhone 3GS today and I've only previously had a white iPhone. I have to say... I LOVE the way the black looks. I got white previously because it hides fingerprints better, but the thing I like about the black iPhone is, at least I can see the fingerprints and wipe them off!

With my white iPhone 3G, I never knew if there was fingerprints, so I would wipe the back anyways... then I didn't know if I got them all. With the black iPhone, I can quickly wipe and look... easy as pie. I found that even though I bought the white iPhone 3G to hide fingerprints, I still knew they were there, so it was a constant battle with wiping them anyway. So both iPhones are the same to me in the end.

A few things I noticed:

- The home button feels slightly different than the 3G
- My screen is even on both sides... I don't catch my finger on the metal bezel like I did on my old 3G
- My power button is slightly loose, but I'm used to that (they loosen over time anyway)
- Blacks are nice and black on the screen
- GPS is amazingly accurate on the 3GS... not so much on my 3G
- The compass is really cool to use in Maps
- Voice control worked twice in a row for me (Although it pronounces my last name wrong... hehe)

There you have it. I'm not complaining about anything here. It's all good!

The question is ex-iPhone 3G owners, did you get a different color this time around?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Nope. I stuck with the black.

But you mentioned that your power button is loose. I've looked at a couple 3GS' and none of the buttons have been loose but I have noticed that the sleep/wake button and volume rocker are a little more inset than on the 3G.

What do you think of this? Do you find it harder to get the buttons to recognize your pushes? Am I crazy in thinking this was intentional by Apple and am actually seeing several defective phones?

At first I thought they were defective but I actually kind of prefer it now.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

TheSpaz said:
With my white iPhone 3G, I never knew if there was fingerprints, so I would wipe the back anyways... then I didn't know if I got them all.
Huh? This makes absolutely no sense to me ... :confused:

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Huh? This makes absolutely no sense to me ... :confused:

It's simple really. I was always afraid that there WERE fingerprints on the back of my white iPhone... I found myself trying to find the fingerprints by holding the iPhone in the light a certain way and trying to wipe them off. I never knew if I got all of them or if I missed any of them. This bothered me. Now that I have black, I can clearly see where my fingerprints are, and quickly wipe them away.

In reality, both iPhones get fingerprints. I've pretty much accepted this and I'm happy that I can see them now instead of wondering if they're there.

It's a psychological thing really.

I'm not complaining about it... just saying how I like the black better for this reason.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
How would it bother you if there were fingerprints on it that you couldn't see? Weird.....

I switched colors...... I went from aluminum to black. :p

I don't think I'd ever buy the white one. Looks cheap to me.

kristinaishere

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
FL
Switched from 16gig black 3G to 16gig white 3GS and happy with the decision. Glad to not see the fingerprints even if I know they are there subconsciously. Normally I might still obsess over then but I'm currently obsessing over the battery percentage indicator instead ;)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

You have some serious OCD. I suggest you get some help.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nope stayed with black. The white doesn't have that classic look the black one IMHO

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
Went from 16gb white to 32gb black. Happy with the decision. Wanted something different. Liked my white one but handed it off to my wife. Digging the black though. Besides, one can always change the look with a simple case change.

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
So, I guess you like to wipe your iPhone anyway and the black helps you because it tells you where to wipe and how clean it is after a wipe.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Wow the OP is OCD in a terrible way. Now with black you can't see all the CRACKS that happen in the plastic of the phone... with white they are very easy to see and exchange for an uncracked one.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I stayed with white. I love the way it looks, and … well, I was going to launch into a whole litany of reasons why, but I just love the way it looks. :D Oh, I did make the jump from 16 to 32, and I'm loving that, too.

Nice thread, Spaz. :)

lignsligns

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2009
if you are tired of worrying about fingerprints and scratches, i would definitly recommend the incase slider black case for the iphone. It has a really nice matte finish and fits beautifully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.