Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
The human brain is very adaptive, you'll only see the pixels if you're looking for them.

Lol so true.

Try this...

Tell yourself iPad 3 ain't bad, all of the sudden it doesn't feel that heavy anymore.

Similarly, holding my iPhone 5 with 2 fingers and tell myself that it's heavy... and it does feel heavier!

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
The question about iPad mini comes down to this..

When you know you can't have 'em all... what would you choose?

Sexiness, lightness, solid build, lots of familiar apps, longer battery life at cost of "perceived outdated inside", $10/month more expensive, less than ideal screen...

vs...

Save $10/month ($100), faster processor, higher resolution screen... at cost of ugliness, heavier, plastic, less than optimized apps, smaller screen real estate, arguable worse user experience...

(for example, Kindle Fire can't charge while you are using it).

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
Lol so true.

Try this...

Tell yourself iPad 3 ain't bad, all of the sudden it doesn't feel that heavy anymore.

Similarly, holding my iPhone 5 with 2 fingers and tell myself that it's heavy... and it does feel heavier!

Lets all go back to playing nintendo 64 while were at it! I bet if Apple announced they were selling nintendo 64s everyone would go wait in line overnight to buy them

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Lets all go back to playing nintendo 64 while were at it! I bet if Apple announced they were selling nintendo 64s everyone would go wait in line overnight to buy them

I still have my 8-bit nintendo... surprisingly some of the games are still fun :)

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
People are justifying having no retina on the iPad mini.

But iPad mini 2 will have Retina display, guaranteed. And it will be the highlighted feature.

My MacBook has no retina. My PC laptops have no retina. My 10 monitors have no retina. My iPad has no retina.

I'm going to be happy going from my iPad 1 to the iPad Mini.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
People are justifying having no retina on the iPad mini.

But iPad mini 2 will have Retina display, guaranteed. And it will be the highlighted feature.

And many of the same people who are now saying they don't care about the non-retina display will be buying the mini 2 because it has a retina screen.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Maybe. But the mini is a substantially smaller screen than the ipad2. I'm an ipad3 and rMBP junkie, but the mini screen is not at all bad. Much better than the 13" Air, for example, when side by side. It's not retina, but it's a whole lot better than the ipad2 screen... I'm not 100% convinced the mini needs retina right now, it's more important that it's small and light with good battery life.

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I was certain about buying and well aware of the low res display.

Then I read this article, and now I appreciate my Nexus 7 even more.

No iPad mini for me. Phew... that was close. :)

http://bgr.com/2012/10/31/ipad-mini-criticism-display/

Almost bought a Nexus 7 today at Stapels. Was on sale for $159. May still go back and buy it.

----------

My MacBook has no retina. My PC laptops have no retina. My 10 monitors have no retina. My iPad has no retina.

I'm going to be happy going from my iPad 1 to the iPad Mini.

Never thought of it that way. Ipad 2 sounds good about now.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Almost bought a Nexus 7 today at Stapels. Was on sale for $159. May still go back and buy it.

----------

Never thought of it that way. Ipad 2 sounds good about now.

I still have my iPad2 & 3. The two is a very nice tablet.

I must admit my Nexus 7 is far better than anticipated.

Even though I've used Android since the beginning, I'm still very pleasantly surprised just how good Jelly Bean is.

I'm really looking forward to my Nexus 4.

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
And many of the same people who are now saying they don't care about the non-retina display will be buying the mini 2 because it has a retina screen.
what's your point? they can truly not care about non-retina display this year, and still look forward to buying a retina display ipad mini next year without being hypocritical!

I bet even if the next generation didn't have retina display, many people would still sell their old model to buy it just because it's the latest generation.

Davieis

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
Melbourne, AU
I bought the iPad Mini today...LOVE the size, weight, form factor. Thought the screen would be fine...

Although, being an owner of the rMBP and an iPhone 5 I must say the lack of retina is very noticeable. I know the device's functionality is totally the same although once you've become accustomed to retina clarity its very difficult to go backwards.

So I'll either i'll have to see a psychologist to re-wire my brain to accept the lack of retina or return and wait for the retina model when it eventually comes :D

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
self proclaimed retina whore here and using the mini for a brief 30 minutes, it's totally a non-issue. it still looks gorgeous. not retina good but still good. lovin it!

did you just get the mini???

----------

I bought the iPad Mini today...LOVE the size, weight, form factor. Thought the screen would be fine...

Although, being an owner of the rMBP and an iPhone 5 I must say the lack of retina is very noticeable. I know the device's functionality is totally the same although once you've become accustomed to retina clarity its very difficult to go backwards.

So I'll either i'll have to see a psychologist to re-wire my brain to accept the lack of retina or return and wait for the retina model when it eventually comes :D

oh no, this was my concern. I have all retina devices.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005

This. I played with one today at an Apple store. As one with several retina devices, the mini's screen won't work. I'd use it primarily for reading and I just can't do it on a screen that pixelated. Screen aside, it really is quite marvelous of a device. Very well made.

matthijst

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I agree: great device, but coming from retina it just won't cut it.
Played with it a bit, browsed some websites, but can't get over the blurriness, so decided to skip this one and hope for a retina version in 6 months.

Als: I don't NEED to have an extra iPad, but I would've liked is, as is a great gadget :)

MistaGavin

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
I have an iPhone 5 and recently sold my iPad 1. The difference in retina vs non retina resolution didn't bother me one bit. Hell, I didn't even think about that when I used it. You know what I did think about? "Man, I wish this thing was smaller."

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Typing this on an iPad Mini, there is no pixelation on the screen (well none an average person would complain about). Text is slightly smaller but clearer than the iPad 2.

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
The human brain is very adaptive, you'll only see the pixels if you're looking for them.
the problem is more so for people who have other retina screen devices they regularly use, and thus they have a constant point of comparison.

sorta like how my girlfriend is continually fascinated with how large her iphone 5 screen is, since she still regularly uses her iphone 4 as a second line... whereas I'm sure other folks have already gotten used to the longer iphone 5 screen and think nothing of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.