Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Download OS X from somewhere to put on a flash drive?

Where would I be able to get OS X from?

This is really the only concern I have about not having a disc drive

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
you download OSX from the Mac app store, in fact thats the only place you can get current versions of OSX from now, they don't even sell them on DVD anymore.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Download OS X from somewhere to put on a flash drive?

Where would I be able to get OS X from?

This is really the only concern I have about not having a disc drive

Either put it on a flashdrive, or just use the built in recovery partition if you are reformatting the installed drive.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
I used the internet recovery feature of the RMBP to reload the OS on mine after formatting my hard drive..

I connected it to Wifi, it downloaded the Lion recovery environment, partitioned the hard drive and booted into the recovery partition, where it proceeded to download Lion from apple's servers.

I'd have preferred a usb stick or something like Apple gave out with the 2010 macbook air.. but i suppose I can make my own.

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Well its not like I'm planning on reformatting anytime soon.. definitely not before Mountain Lion anyway.

Glad they have something figured out in ML.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well its not like I'm planning on reformatting anytime soon.. definitely not before Mountain Lion anyway.

Glad they have something figured out in ML.
OS X Recovery works now in Lion. No need to wait for ML.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
It is hinted but not explicitly explained in these answers. All Lion Macs have a recovery partition on the hard drive that "is" your DVD. You boot to your recovery partition, do any reformatting you want and it will redownload and reinstall Lion or Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store.

A DVD or even a thumb drive is a non issue, unless the SSD itself is corrupt in which case you can't reinstall the OS anyway. So basically the new process makes it a total non-issue.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I have a similar question, how can I install my logic pro 9 on to the RMBP. Can anyone help me please?:D

The easiest way would be to use an external DVD drive, or the Remote Disc feature from another Mac or PC that has a built in legacy drive.

CountSessine

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
It is hinted but not explicitly explained in these answers. All Lion Macs have a recovery partition on the hard drive that "is" your DVD. You boot to your recovery partition, do any reformatting you want and it will redownload and reinstall Lion or Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store.

A DVD or even a thumb drive is a non issue, unless the SSD itself is corrupt in which case you can't reinstall the OS anyway. So basically the new process makes it a total non-issue.

What if the recovery partition is killed for some reason? Like a bad Windows utility in a bootcamp session? If the recovery partition is just a bootable OSX file system that can be used to re-download lion over the internet, maybe it makes sense to keep a copy of the recovery partition on a USB drive?

CountSessine

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Something no one has mentioned is that when you download OSX from the App store, the installation package actually contains a .DMG of a OSX install disc. Keeping that thing around is the ultimate flexibility - burn it to a DVD and then boot it with an external USB DVD drive, write it to a USB stick and boot from that, ...

Bewarethewolves

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2011
The easiest way would be to use an external DVD drive, or the Remote Disc feature from another Mac or PC that has a built in legacy drive.

Thanks for the response. I have Logic installed on my imac, would it be possible just to put it on a memory stick from my imac and transfer it to my RMBP?

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
What if the recovery partition is killed for some reason? Like a bad Windows utility in a bootcamp session? If the recovery partition is just a bootable OSX file system that can be used to re-download lion over the internet, maybe it makes sense to keep a copy of the recovery partition on a USB drive?

The internet recovery feature is a firmware update, so I believe it's not a partition, but a feature part of the firmware. When you install a new hard drive, the computer will boot into the internet recovery mode and you can download and install Lion on to the brand new HD. that's what i did w/ my upgrade (mbp 15 2011)

----------

this is incorrect. the recovery is actually part of your Firmware (BIOS in Windows XP for example), not on your HD.

CountSessine

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
The internet recovery feature is a firmware update, so I believe it's not a partition, but a feature part of the firmware. When you install a new hard drive, the computer will boot into the internet recovery mode and you can download and install Lion on to the brand new HD. that's what i did w/ my upgrade (mbp 15 2011)

----------

this is incorrect. the recovery is actually part of your Firmware (BIOS in Windows XP for example), not on your HD.

No, it is on your hard drive. Have a look at your boot drive in your mac with gpt fdisk. There's a large, hidden partition marked "Recovery". This is the Lion recovery partition that we're all talking about here.

I haven't used the internet recovery, but it sounds from Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/) that the recovery partition contains Disk Utility and Safari at the very least:

Apple recovery webpage said:
Command-R to the rescue.

Just hold down Command-R during startup and OS X Recovery springs into action. It lets you choose from common utilities: You can run Disk Utility to check or repair your hard drive, erase your hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy of OS X, or restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup. You can even use Safari to get help from Apple Support online. And if OS X Recovery encounters problems, it will automatically connect to Apple over the Internet.

It goes on to say,

Apple recovery webpage said:
Internet Recovery.
Help is everywhere.

If your Mac problem is a little less common — your hard drive has failed or you’ve installed a hard drive without OS X, for example — Internet Recovery takes over automatically. It downloads and starts OS X Recovery directly from Apple servers over a broadband Internet connection. And your Mac has access to the same OS X Recovery features online. Internet Recovery is built into every newly-released Mac starting with the Mac mini and MacBook Air.

So it sounds like the recovery partition at least has Disk Utility, Safari, the Time Machine client libs, and perhaps a complete version of Lion? If the recovery partition is gone, it sounds like this Internet Recovery takes over (which I didn't even know about and sounds remarkably cool) and downloads a new copy of OSX.

Last edited:

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Does the rMBP come with a USB Flash Drive for Recovery. The MBA I got my Wife last year came with everything on a Flash Drive to restore. Interesting to know if it doesn't how do you recover iLife that comes preinstalled?

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Does the rMBP come with a USB Flash Drive for Recovery. The MBA I got my Wife last year came with everything on a Flash Drive to restore. Interesting to know if it doesn't how do you recover iLife that comes preinstalled?

iLife is now on the Mac app store that's how you get it back.

The thumb drive for the airs was back in snow leopard before the recovery partition. It's now superfluous.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

----------

You are both correct. On 2010+ MacBooks the firmware has been updated to provide Lion recovery in the firmware of the computer. In addition to the firmware Lion recovery, a default Lion installation will create a 650MB Lion recovery partition on your drive that provides the same functionality as the firmware Lion recovery.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Wow. All this hubbub over spending $40 on a external DVD burner that's a hell of a lot faster than what Apple will give you, if you must. Otherwise, Apple is making it so you need not even spend the $40.
All the complaining about the loss of a crappy 8x internal DVD burner has me perplexed.

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
A simple summary would be:

If your OS becomes corrupt, you hold the Option key on boot and go into recovery mode. This is a partition on the drive that lets you access basic functions such as Time Machine and Disk Utility, useful for restoring backups or reloading your OS

If your disk dies or you replace it, you have no such recovery partition any more, and thus boot into internet recovery mode which as mentioned above, is tied into the firmware. From here you are able to download a complete OSX install to your new disk.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
You can request a little **** (dont remember name in english) from apple that you stick in usb and it have thr os

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.