So, iPhone does use Gorilla Glass...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Terrified, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Terrified macrumors regular

Just finished reading 'Steve Jobs', and there's a great piece on how they approached Corning, who weren't actively manufacturing Gorilla Glass, and they managed to get it ready for the launch of the original iPhone in under 6 months.

So, original iPhone definitely uses GG. Mind you, it doesn't confirm it's use in later models, but at least it confirms that Apple have definitely used it at some point.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I noticed that too. As the story was presented, it would make even more sense (in my mind) for Corning & Apple to promote Apple's use of Gorilla Glass, if that is what is still in use. Which makes me think even more that they moved away from Corning with the iPhone 4 / 4S.

3. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

I believe GG is the standard for most, if not all, smart phones now.. Samsung, HTC are using GG to protect the LCD... not just apple ... correct me if I am wrong pls

4. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

PRODUCTS WITH GORILLA » FULL PRODUCTS LIST
    Corning®*Gorilla®*Glass is used by more than 30 major brands, has been designed into more than*500 product models, and is featured on more than 400 million devices worldwide. Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don’t see it listed. Ask your manufacturer or retailer to learn more.

Acer:* Aspire Ethos 8951G, Aspire Ethos 5951G, ICONIA TAB A500, ICONIA TAB W500, ICONIA SMART, ICONIA Touchbook*

Asus: Eee Pad Slider, Eee Pad Transformer, Eee Slate EP121*

Dell:* Streak 5, Streak 7 Tablet, Venue, Venue Pro*

HTC: 7 Mozart, 7 Surround T8788, Aria, ChaCha, Desire, Desire HD, Desire S, Desire Z, Dopod A6388, Dopod T8388, Dragon, Droid ERIS, Droid Incredible, EVO 3D, EVO 4G, EVO Shift 4G, G1, G2, HD2, HD7, HD mini, Hero, Incredible S, Inspire 4G, Legend, myTouch 3G, myTouch 3G Slide, myTouch 4G, Salsa, Sensation, T9199, Thunder Bolt, Tianxi T9188,*Trophy, Wildfire

Kyocera: Echo

Lenovo: ThinkPad Tablet, ThinkPad X1 Laptop, ThinkPad X220 Tablet (available as an option)*

LG:* Ally, Arena, Arena TV, Crystal, LG Mini, Maxx, New Chocolate, Optimus 2X, Optimus 3D (LG Thrill 4G),*Optimus 7, Optimus Black, Optimus Mach, Optimus Q, Optimus Z, Viewty Smart, X300*

Motorola:* ADMIRAL, ATRIX 2, ATRIX 4G, BACKFLIP, BRAVO, CHARM, CLIQ, CLIQ 2, CLIQ XT, DEFY, DEFY+, DEVOUR, DEXT, DROID, DROID 2, DROID 2 GLOBAL, DROID 3, DROID BIONIC, DROID PRO,*DROID X, DROID X2, FLIPOUT, MOTOROLA i1, MOTOROLA MILESTONE,*PHOTON 4G, PRO+, TITANIUM, TRIUMPH, XOOM, XPRT

Motion Computing:* F5v, C5v, J3500, CL900*

NEC:* docomo PRIME series N-02B, MEDIAS N-04C*

Nokia: 702T, Astound (T-Mobile US), C6, C7, E6, E7, N8, N9, Oro, T7-00, X6, X7

Samsung:* Behold II, Captivate, Continuum, Corby S3650, Corby W900, Epic 4G, Fascinate, Flight II, Focus, Galaxy A, Galaxy Ace, Galaxy S, GALAXY S II, Galaxy S 4G, Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Lindy, Mesmerize, Monte, Monte Preston, Omnia HD, S8500 WAVE, Showcase, Trance, Transform, Ultra TOUCH S8300, Vibrant, Wave II*

SK Telesys:* Rain Phone (SK-800), Reaction Phone (SK-S100), W Phone*(SK-700)

Sony: BRAVIA models KDL – HX820, KDL – NX720, XBR – HX929

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Many phones do now use it, but "officially" neither Corning nor Apple will say if the iPhones currently use Gorilla Glass or not. Personally I suspect they don't; Apple has done a lot of glass manufacturing in the last few years and I'm guessing they have decided to "in-source" their aluminosilicate glass production.

6. deeddawg, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

[nevermind, my error in reading]

My guess is Apple *may* use Corning's product in conjunction with other sources of similarly spec'd aluminosilicate glasses. Look at the use of Samsung and Toshiba SSD's in the Macbook Airs. Or perhaps Apple uses their own aluminosilicate glass sources. Check out Asahi's Dragontrail.

7. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I didnt forget that it's in the first paragraph :confused:

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

My error, I missed that somehow. Sorry 'bout that!

9. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Lol at this thread.

I think its pretty obvious from the drop tests and prevalence of cracked/busted iPhone screens that Apple doesn't use Gorilla glass.

You guys will use all sorts of twisted reasoning and assumptions to make try to make something that isn't true appear factual.

"Apple uses glass, and Gorilla glass uses glass, so the iphone is probably using something really really really really similar just with a different name made slightly differently"

LOL. Please get over it and buy an otterbox lunch box for your iphone

10. Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't know, the glass appears to be pretty tough for me. The only problem is that it's extremely exposed and there's nothing to protect it at all.

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

As mentioned in the original post, Jobs' biography states unequivocally that they DID use Gorilla Glass (Corning's aluminosilicate glass) for the original iPhone. Apple still states that the glass on the 4/4S is aluminosilicate. The speculation is whether or not it's still made by Corning.

FWIW I agree with you that I don't think it is.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

At the risk of feeding a troll, any quick search shows many instances of broken screens on Gorilla Glass equipped phones.

Gorilla Glass breaks. Therefore there's no basis for your assumption that screen breakage means anything.

13. Terrified thread starter macrumors regular

Nice to see that a thread based entirely on verifiable fact can still attract trolls. Sigh. I should have known better.

Just thought this was a nice tidbit really, given all the speculation around whether it was GG or not.

14. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

Gorilla glass comes with one year warranty from manufacture meaning apple dosent use it

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Source?

16. thenerdal macrumors 65816

iPhones don't use Gorilla Glass, they use aluminosilicate glass.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

You do know that Gorilla Glass is Corning's branded aluminosilicate glass, right?
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375657,00.asp#fbid=NeQXa2lcqih

18. interrobang macrumors 6502

This is the silliest thread I've seen in a few minutes.

What's next, debating whether Tim Cook takes genuine Bayer aspirin when he has a headache, or whether he applies his famous brand of cost-cutting and goes for Safeway brand?

19. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Watch this video of both phones dropped face down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=elKxgsrJFhw#t=88s

Gorilla Glass doesn't break as easily like iPhone's Glass.

----------

You should read the last paragraph. They make it stronger:

"At this point, you have some very big sheets of clear, clean, pure glass, but it isn't much stronger than regular glass. Gorilla gets its strength through an interesting chemical process. Corning dips each sheet into a molten salt bath where a chemical exchange occurs. Potassium ions are infused into the glass. At the same time, sodium ions exit the glass. The potassium ions are larger than the sodium ions. This pressure creates what's called "compressive stress". That stress is actually a good thing and stops the glass from breaking on flaws."

Therefore, it's not aluminosilicate glass, but a stronger glass.

20. deeddawg, Oct 26, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

Mostly exposed glass edge vs. edge buffered by chromed plastic. You've not made your case yet.

I don't think anyone would argue that a plastic cased phone with a plastic edge to the screen will better survive a concrete drop than a phone with glass front & back.

and you know for a fact that this (or similar) process is not done on other manufacturers aluminosilicate glass? How do you know this?

Personally I don't care about the branding or the strength, it's entirely possible that Apple does not use Gorilla glass and it's entirely possible the glass Apple uses is not a strong as Gorilla glass.

My point is there are a lot of assumptions flying around that aren't being supported, thus the conclusions are not necessarily valid.

21. thenerdal macrumors 65816

You didn't watch the face down drops did you? :confused: You make it seem like the edges of the S2 protect the screen from damage. That's not true.

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

Look more carefully, the phones tumble as they fall.

23. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Gorilla Glass is not aluminosilicate glass. It's a stronger glass. iPhone uses aluminosilicate glass, they don't do any other process to make it stronger, it's just aluminosilicate glass.

----------

Yeah, they hit the ground face down, then tumble. The phones aren't heavy, of course they tumble.

24. deeddawg, Oct 26, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

Wait 'til the name calling starts. Made it to 25 posts without the f-word so far... :D

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/
    "Gorilla Glass is an environmentally friendly alkali-aluminosilicate thin-sheet glass"

I'm also curious how you know the manufacturing process of the aluminosilicate glass used by Apple? Do you have any references showing that a similar process is not used? Maybe it isn't, but you put forth this stuff as fact and I'm not sure how you know the truth other than assumption based on a video (leaving out that it was made by a company providing extended warranties/accidental damage protection)

Strictly speaking, on some of the tests the phones go out of shot just before impact. They do bounce around after impact.

In the video though, the phones sure don't look parallel to the ground at 0:55, 1:11, or 1:21 while in the air. In the latter two the phone is clearly tumbling before impact.

25. thenerdal macrumors 65816

alkali-aluminosilicate is not the same as aluminosilicate, alkali-aluminosilicate is stronger.