Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Terrified

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
From the book:

"Jobs decribed the type of glass Apple wanted for the iPhone, and Weeks told him that Corning had developed a chemical exchange process in the 1960s that led to what they dubbed "gorilla glass". It was incredibly strong, but it had never found a market, so Corning quit making it. Jobs said he doubted it wasd good enough, and he started explaining to Weeks how glass was made. This amused Weeks, who of course knew more than Jobs about that topic. "Can you shut up," Weeks interjected, "and let me teach you some science?" Jobs was taken aback and fell silent. Weeks went on to the whiteboard and gave a tutorial on the chemistry, which involved ion-exchange process that produced a compression layer on the surface of the glass.

This turned Jobs around, and he said he wanted as much gorilla glass as Corning could make within six months. "We don't have the capacity," Weeks replied. "None of our plants make the glass now."

"Don't be afraid," Jobs replied. This stunned Weeks, who was good-humoured and confident, but not used to Jobs's reality distortion field. He tried to explain that a false sense of confidence would not overcome engineering challenges, but that was a premise that Jobs had repeatedly shown he didn't accept. He stared at Weeks un-blinking. "Yes, you can do it", he said. "Get your mind around it. You can do it."

As Weeks retold this story, he shook his head in astonishment. "We did it in under six months," he said. "We produced a glass that had never been made." Corning's facility in Harrisburg, Kentucky, which had been making LCD displays, was converted overnight to make gorilla glass full-time. "We put our best scientists and engineers on it, and we just made it work." In his airy office, Weeks had just one framed memento on display. It's a message Jobs sent the day the iPhone came out: "We couldn't have done it without you."

EDITED - any spelling mistakes are mine, as I've basically retyped (no c&p on iBooks).

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
One thing I've noticed is phones made from like 8 years ago were built much stronger than our phones of today. True, they had far less features but many were built like tanks.

Check out the comments of the best-selling phone of all-time, the Nokia 1100
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_1100-reviews-512.php

You can use it as a football, submerge it in water, and throw it at someone. It still works.

Well there is also nothing inside. Its light, its pure plastic so it can take a punch. That said, the glass of the iPhone 4 shatters way to easy. I hope that I never drop mine.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Wait 'til the name calling starts. Made it to 25 posts without the f-word so far... :D

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/
"Gorilla Glass is an environmentally friendly alkali-aluminosilicate thin-sheet glass"

I'm also curious how you know the manufacturing process of the aluminosilicate glass used by Apple? Do you have any references showing that a similar process is not used? Maybe it isn't, but you put forth this stuff as fact and I'm not sure how you know the truth other than assumption based on a video (leaving out that it was made by a company providing extended warranties/accidental damage protection)

Strictly speaking, on some of the tests the phones go out of shot just before impact. They do bounce around after impact.

In the video though, the phones sure don't look parallel to the ground at 0:55, 1:11, or 1:21 while in the air. In the latter two the phone is clearly tumbling before impact.

They obviously dropped it wrong. Talk about dropped calls! :eek:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Lol at this thread.

I think its pretty obvious from the drop tests and prevalence of cracked/busted iPhone screens that Apple doesn't use Gorilla glass.

You guys will use all sorts of twisted reasoning and assumptions to make try to make something that isn't true appear factual.

"Apple uses glass, and Gorilla glass uses glass, so the iphone is probably using something really really really really similar just with a different name made slightly differently"
+1 (though it's not enough to counter the fanboy down ratings)

If anyone's ever seen youtube vids of Gorilla glass, they'd know it doesn't shatter like the iPhone glass does (front or back).

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
I don't know why Apple just doesn't state that it used Gorilla Glass? It would've gotten a lot more buyers.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Gorilla Glass or not the damn thing will break if you drop it. Stop arguing about if the 4S uses it or not and get a damn case for it if you're so scared of breaking your baby.

End of story.

:rolleyes:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I don't know why Apple just doesn't state that it used Gorilla Glass? It would've gotten a lot more buyers.

More to the point, why won't Corning say that they don't provide Gorilla Glass to Apple for the iPhone? It seems any time media asks, Corning dances around. Here's an NPR story as an example.

It's still pretty meaningless if they do or don't. Gorilla glass can shatter. Whatever is used on the iPhones can shatter. As TL24 points out, if you're concerned then put a case on it.

zman98

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I don't. Why do you think it's regarded so highly amongst the tech community?

Apple not mentioning it is why I doubt it's actual Gorilla Glass.

So you're saying they would have sold an addition XX million units if they used gorilla glass? I highly doubt it. I don't think many consumers make their ultimate decision on whether or not the device has gorilla glass.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
So you're saying they would have sold an addition XX million units if they used gorilla glass? I highly doubt it. I don't think many consumers make their ultimate decision on whether or not the device has gorilla glass.

Considering the appalling amount of people I know who have shattered/cracked their iPhones, yes I think Apple would see a boost in sales if they advertised having super-strong Gorilla Glass.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011

A lot of consumers would. Since Gorilla Glass is like the best glass on the market.

rndthm

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010
A lot of consumers would. Since Gorilla Glass is like the best glass on the market.

If apple would admit they use gorilla glass that does not mean the phone glass would all the sudden stop breaking when they are dropped.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Sorry to bump this, but I just heard the bit about Gorilla Glass in the book on TV and this thread came up in Google.

The original iPhone is confirmed to have used Gorilla Glass, based on what is said in the book obviously. Any iPhone after that is up to speculation.

With the iPhone 4 (at least the white ones), it's not likely Gorilla Glass was used at all: http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/18/white-iphone-4-delay-the-challenges-faced-by-apples-glass-supp/

Also, don't forget, iFixit doesn't believe the iPhone 4 uses Gorilla Glass at all: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/06/25/ifixit-backtracks-on-iphone-4-gorilla-glass-claim/

Based on that, I'd venture to guess Apple isn't using Gorilla Glass for the iPhone 4 or 4S and that the build quality is weak because they are using a small Chinese factory (read the Engadget link) to manufacture the glass and likely lacking the quality assurance. That said, Corning is coy in interviews and also stated that they don't reveal all of their customers so that leaves some uncertainty. And even with the original iPhone, I don't remember Apple mentioning Gorilla Glass explicitly in their specs (correct me if I'm wrong). All I remember was the announcement that they changed the touch panels to glass instead of plastic because they could like a month or two before the iPhone went on sale.

Regardless, I think it'd be nicer if the glass was genuinely Gorilla Glass. I really don't see why Apple wouldn't want to plaster Gorilla Glass all over their spec sheets if they actually used Gorilla Glass. It's just good advertising. Obviously it's no guarantee the iPhone will be more drop resistant and shatter-proof if they used real Gorilla Glass, but I think most of us would rather have the "real thing" vs. whatever kind of glass Apple is getting some unheard of factory to make.

Last edited:

MrRon

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Miami, FL
I believe GG was used even for the first generation iPhone... however Corning is improving the process or formulation ... As we can tell... iPhone 3GS is more difficult to crack than iPhone 3G ... and iPhone 4 is the toughest...

maybe due to the difference in thickness ... or due to difference in manufacturing process... ;)

FYI, i have repaired more than 2000 iPhone screens personally

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
You didn't watch the face down drops did you? :confused: You make it seem like the edges of the S2 protect the screen from damage. That's not true.

Dude check this out, when a glass ( gorilla glass or any glass) has its outer edge as a point of impact, it will shatter. On the iphone, there is no bezel, so when the phone falls, the first point of impact is going to be the glass.
The s2 has bezel which serves as a buffer to the screen so it is more damage protected in that sense, and not because it has a gorilla glass. Gorilla glass is more scratch resistant but not shatter resistant. I had a samsung captivate a while ago which busted its screen fro falling. Go take some glass structure 101 or something.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I believe GG was used even for the first generation iPhone... however Corning is improving the process or formulation ... As we can tell... iPhone 3GS is more difficult to crack than iPhone 3G ... and iPhone 4 is the toughest...

maybe due to the difference in thickness ... or due to difference in manufacturing process... ;)

FYI, i have repaired more than 2000 iPhone screens personally

Then it's definitely not a Gorilla Glass. I doubt all Android phones combined had 2000 broken screens coombined ;)

MacHunter420

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
A memo of thanks to Corning does not mean Gorilla Glass. It could simply mean producing a last minute supply of a normal front glass panel:

If we recall, the original iPhone had a plastic front display when first shown. For months before it went on sale, all people talked about was how they'd hate it if got scratched up in their pockets like their iPods.

That must've really grated on Jobs. Here's this wonderful device, yet forums and reporters were complaining about it ahead of time.

Just days before launch, Apple announced that the front had been changed to glass to prevent scratching. The specs said that it was "optical quality" glass, meaning clear and non-wavy.

Even back then, a lot of people mistakenly thought that meant "tempered glass", which it was clearly not from the way that it shattered into dangerous sharp pieces.

So we need more context to see what was really said. What is the full story quote? Thanks!

WOW! I am floored with how utterly worthless this group of peoples COMPREHENSION skills are. They use GORILLA GLASS, why dont they market it? They don't have to, and Steve Jobs had corning use the GORILLA GLASS, read the ****ing bio you numbskulls.

----------

Sorry to bump this, but I just heard the bit about Gorilla Glass in the book on TV and this thread came up in Google.

The original iPhone is confirmed to have used Gorilla Glass, based on what is said in the book obviously. Any iPhone after that is up to speculation.

With the iPhone 4 (at least the white ones), it's not likely Gorilla Glass was used at all: http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/18/white-iphone-4-delay-the-challenges-faced-by-apples-glass-supp/

Also, don't forget, iFixit doesn't believe the iPhone 4 uses Gorilla Glass at all: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/06/25/ifixit-backtracks-on-iphone-4-gorilla-glass-claim/

Based on that, I'd venture to guess Apple isn't using Gorilla Glass for the iPhone 4 or 4S and that the build quality is weak because they are using a small Chinese factory (read the Engadget link) to manufacture the glass and likely lacking the quality assurance. That said, Corning is coy in interviews and also stated that they don't reveal all of their customers so that leaves some uncertainty. And even with the original iPhone, I don't remember Apple mentioning Gorilla Glass explicitly in their specs (correct me if I'm wrong). All I remember was the announcement that they changed the touch panels to glass instead of plastic because they could like a month or two before the iPhone went on sale.

Regardless, I think it'd be nicer if the glass was genuinely Gorilla Glass. I really don't see why Apple wouldn't want to plaster Gorilla Glass all over their spec sheets if they actually used Gorilla Glass. It's just good advertising. Obviously it's no guarantee the iPhone will be more drop resistant and shatter-proof if they used real Gorilla Glass, but I think most of us would rather have the "real thing" vs. whatever kind of glass Apple is getting some unheard of factory to make.

Glass is not a processor, they do not give a **** about the name brand of glass, only stupid silly people on a macforum do, even then, they still use it.

----------

Then it's definitely not a Gorilla Glass. I doubt all Android phones combined had 2000 broken screens coombined ;)

I guarantee they have had hundreds of thousands, you people are simply ignorant.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
It's funny that there was an email from Steve Jobs posted here by a member that said they worked with Corning on the original iPhone to use Gorilla Glass but it was dismissed as fake. I wish I could dig it up!

It's also funny that people go on about Gorilla Glass and it appears the reason that it's even used in any mobile device now is because of Apple.

I would imagine that Apple is still using Gorilla Glass now and the reason Corning dances around it is because Apple has asked not to name them as a partner. Apple doesn't advertise Gorilla Glass because Apple isn't interested in marketing a suppliers product and brand; they just want their customers to know how good the overall product is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.