All iPads So is anyone taking T-Mobile up on their deal?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fattytail, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

LTE iPads for the same price as wifi iPads. Free 1GB each month for the rest of the year. Outstanding deal. Who's doing it?

2. MacTea macrumors member

I might get it..especially since you can have TMob unlock it right away (if you buy it) and I can use the unlocked iPad with a local SIM when I travel overseas.

3. Fattytail thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure iPads aren't locked to any one carrier.

4. MacTea macrumors member

That was my understanding as well, but the CSR at the store said it was locked to TMob, but they would unlock it on day one if paid in full or after three months if doing EIP.

5. praterkeith macrumors 6502

praterkeith

Yes

I'm going to do it for a retina mini. I'm still using an iPad 2, so this is a great chance to upgrade.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, this is the first I've heard of such a thing. And won't be the first time a CSR didn't know what the heck they were talking about. But if it does turn out to be true, then you should keep in mind that none of the other carriers' iPads are locked, and you can take them overseas and use them with other countries' SIM cards right out of the box.

7. MacTea macrumors member

Thanks. Ya, I seemed to know more about TMob products than the guy working there when I went to inquire yesterday. . I was thinking of taking advantage of TMob's deal (LTE version for WiFi price) so I can't get another carrier's iPad. Either way, I won't do EIP and buy it outright so they can unlock it right away. (if there is even a need)

8. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

The CSR was giving you wrong information. The T-Mobile iPads are not locked. All iPads have been carrier unlocked from the very first model.

9. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking about doing this for an rMini as well.

I don't have a voice line plan. So I can't get the free 1GB of data. But I understand that 1GB is only going to be $10. So you get 1.2GB for only $10 a month.

10. Gaprofitt macrumors regular

Questions

What happens if you exceed the 1.2gb? Overages fees or it just stops working? I'm considering the $10 a month but not sure if 1.2gb will be enough. It looks like 3GB is $20, would I be able to up to 3GB later this year if need be or the promo might expire? I could probably live with 1GB for awhile, hate to pay for data i'm not using.

Greg

11. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I don't know for certain, but if you are month to month, you aren't under contract. I don't think there are overage fees in that case.

12. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

You get throttled to EDGE speeds, but you are still able to use as much data as you want.

13. Gaprofitt macrumors regular

Is that true with just the free 200mb plan as well?

14. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I am on the free 200mb plan and ran out of data the other day. I got a popup saying I was out of data and my LTE was no longer usable.

However, I did not go to my account page to see my options yet since I don't really need more data right now.

15. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I am definitely considering it. I just switched to T-Mobile a month ago. So far, happy with the service and data has been very good on my iPhone 5s.

I have the unlimited plan on my iPhone so I get 3 GB of tethering on it, but since I was looking to get the WiFi iPad Mini Retina anyway, seems kinda like a no-brainer to get the T-Mobile LTE version for the same device price, free for data through the end of the year (with the $10 credit since I have a voice plan) and have that 1.2 GB of data available in addition to tethering then if I need it.

16. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I just got back from getting a 16GB retina mini at the T-Mobile store as I'm an existing voice customer of theirs and this was just too good of a deal to pass up. I already have an iPad Air (64GB wi-fi) that I use mostly around the house, but this will be great for when I'm out and about somewhere with no wi-fi available and need to look up something real quick or get directions, etc., since the cellular models also have the GPS built-in. I also did the 0% interest installment plan with them since it can be paid off early anyway at any time. Once the 1.2GB free monthly LTE data allotment is exhausted, it just throttles the data speed down to EDGE without ever having any overage charges and that will work just fine for me.

17. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

That's a sweet deal. If I wasn't committed to AT&T ( got the 99c per week 1GB deal...). I'd be on this too.

18. Adonys macrumors regular

Yup,just got the rmini. Was planning to get wifi version but couldn't pass this up.im withh att so I'll be paying $10 a month

19. Fattytail thread starter macrumors 6502a

For those of you who got the iPads through through this new promotion, any issues with the screens? I would buy into this but I'm a little gunshy given what I went through late last year to get an iPad. Crappy screen quality.

20. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I just bought mine from T-Mobile a couple hours ago. Didn't notice any issue with the screen. Performing the restore right now from my old "blurry" gen 1 iPad Mini. Hopefully will be done within the hour and then can play around with it. But so far looks perfect.

21. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you are just throttled.

22. MacTea macrumors member

Did they make you pay a $10 activation fee to get a SIM? I already have a SIM that I got online from TMob, but they keep insisting on charging $10 to activate the iPad line/SIM.

23. scott523 macrumors 6502a

24. Solange82200 macrumors regular

Just passed my return time frame from best buy by one day on my Wifi only iPad mini.. Sigh. Really wish I had waited two days, now I don't see any options. Wondering if I should try to sell it on eBay and go for it.

25. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

^^^^^^
    Go for it!!!

I bought a 32 GB mini w/retina yesterday. I paid $10 for the activation, another $100 for the 32GB upgrade and tax on the iPad. After that my monthly payment is $16 a month for the next two years (unless I choose to pay it off early).

The best part is that I was able to get 3GB of data a month for $10 (I believe it is normally $20). A co-worker's brother manages the store but he led me to believe this deal was available if you just asked for it. It's worth a try if you are planning on getting in on this deal.