so is anyone thinking about getting the newest BB bold 9930?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dairyman, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Dairyman macrumors member

i really love my IP4 but have to say i do miss the email and keyboard from my BB

no way around it iOS sucks for email compared to the BB email client

i have my iPhone setup as exchange through gmail and it is horrible in comparison to how reliable and instant my blackberry was.

this is in theory push but every time i click the mail icon a new message pops up(i have it setup as push)

on my blackberry it was faster than instant 100% of the time, faster than sitting in my web client on gmail and clicking inbox over and over

BUT the IP4 is amazing and i cant get away from the web browser and camera

2. bgro macrumors 6502a

been thinking bout gettin a berry as my next device also. Bored with iOS after 1 year with the iPhone 4 (and other years with 3gs). But everytime I've switched to other OS's I've always come back to iPhone. So that keeps stopping me.

3. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

what? not to sound like a fanboy but blackberries are just rocks with plastic keyboards attached to them, why don't you look for an android phone with a keyboard if that's what you really miss? why downgrade to a dumb phone? there are cases for iPhone 4 that have bluetooth keyboards...theres tons of alternatives, but blackberry? come on... what a joke

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not me.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I use the Boxcar app with my Exchange G-Mail and it's pretty close to instant.

Seems like that'd a much better solution than buying a phone that only does one thing really well.

6. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

Me neither. Have a Blackberry right now and it's a huge disappointment in my opinion, hate the keyboard and the browser.

7. bgro macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't get me wrong I love iOS and my iPhone but web I'm at home I use my iPad and more and more I've been noticing that I really just use my iPhone for social networking, rss feeds, and texting. All which can b done beautifully on a blackberry. Now if I didn't have my iPad then I wouldn't even b considering a blackberry.

I still wouldn't switch from my iPhone tho I love it to much just getting a little bored

8. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Company pays for me to have a Torch on AT&T. It's great for making phone calls... that's about it.

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I used to carry both a work issued Bold 9000 & iPhone. You're absolutely right, the large comfy keyboard is a fast & easy way to handle email. The problem is I like to buy a new device each year, & RIM blew it when they shrunk the bold down to the size of a Curve.

Now a full 3 years later they finally returned to the full size model. Too late for me, I've got a couple of terrific Androids, one with a slide out keyboard. That solves my email needs and my iPhone 4 takes care of the rest. Too bad RIM was so stubborn & slow to respond.

I just tried a 9900 Bold & it's great, yet that said there's no way I'm going back. Androids are too much fun.

10. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I miss the instant email too. I do like the new blackberries and their browser has gotten better since they added a webkit browser.

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

Yes, the BlackBerry 9900 (AT&T variant). But I may not get it until Feb 25, 2012 which is my next upgrade date. My only concerns is I hear the back could scratch easier and the weak camera.And I hear the battery life can be fairly poor especially for RIM who is known for strong battery life. I may just wait for the BlackBerry Colt, but I absolutely love the keyboard on that new Bold!

I am loving my used 9000 which is already three years old and still looks pretty sexy and classy for a 2008 phone. My iPhone 4 stayed home all day. I've only had this classic Bold for five days and just for fun decided to put an ad on on CL. I got several requests for it within a few hours, so I deleted it. BlackBerry is alive and well. I may just sell the 9000 once I get closer to my upgrade. RIM's marketshare is shrinking in the USA, but not around the world especially their stronger presence in Indonesia (the world's 4th most populated country).

Listen, I will always love my iPhone 4. And it will always be around. But I do want to go back to the basics - messenging and strong reception. RIM is strong in these areas and this is their forte while Apple is more for the multimedia users. Apps are a bit overkill and it is fad that will likely go away once people already get their fill with it. I used to be a app whore and theming freak myself during the early jailbreaking years of the iPhone, but I am now cutting back the excess fat. Stick to the bare essentials and that is it. The rest can be just be bloatware that I rarely use.

BlackBerry is like the Cadillac of smartphones. Yeah, it isn't like an iToy and isn't as fun. But this is where the old money is at and where the richest people in the world and most powerful politicians use. No time to play. All work and security. I hope QNX becomes the spiritual successor to webOS next year.

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

No.

I'm fine waiting an extra 5 seconds for "push" email and I'm also a fan of keeping my email folder structure intact instead of losing it all when it gets pushed through Blackberry's servers.

Lastly, I'm probably faster than 95% of Blackberry users at typing on my iPhone. There's a reason RIMM is struggling; their products aren't compelling anymore.

13. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

Jon4Lakers (known Apple fanboy) already made the switch to BlackBerry over three months ago with the 9780 and now with the 9900....

Unboxing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrciPgFmPng

Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYZ_XN5ooAU

Rettinger got me convinced to make the switch. This could be THE ONE that finally makes me move away from iPhone after three years. I say buy an iPad 2 or demote the iPhone 4 as an iPod touch if people end up missing iOS so much.

With webOS gone, RIM is the only other player like Apple who makes both the software and hardware. I've read through many CrackBerry forums, and boy, they can be as rabid as Apple fans too! They love their CrackBerry and many just for that physical keyboard or email/BBM addiction. Once you buy one BlackBerry, sometimes you can't stop. I guess it depends on where you come from and the experiences. I just hope the next BlackBerry Bold returns to that faux-leather back which is easy to remove and grip. By Feb 2012, I could just wait RIM if releases QNX but I want it to be in that same Bold form factor even with that sub-3 inch screen. It is all about that keyboard for me.

Great thing about RIM is while they move like they are Research In SLOW Motion, they have different price points, multiple form factors, and have great relations with different carriers. T-Mobile gets the 9900 first over AT&T. I can see a slight BlackBerry resurgence next year, but we'll see. Buy RIM stock now. You could be thanking me later by 2013.

The problem is BB 9900/9930 will never get updated to QNX. But if you love that physical keyboard which is being hailed the best there is on any phone, love that established BBM community, and love the multi-LED lights like I do with that beautiful stainless steel band around it, I can see why the latest Bold can be so tempting.

[​IMG]

15. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I work at a phone retailer and upon handling one of our demo Blackberry 9900/9930 lines, I was impressed but couldn't justify it replacing my iPhone.

16. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

with webOS gone, BB is the next to fall...they just can't keep themselves competitive in the consumer market. They're still great business phones, don't get me wrong, but the only people who can utilize the advantages they have over iOS or Android (or WP7, my personal favorite ATM) are business users and teenage girls who HAVE to have BBM (and also break their phone constantly, so are always getting new PINs anyways, really defeating the purpose of BBM)

I'd personally advise against it, as cool as the phone seems. The platform is really considered an afterthought to many devs, who want to get their product onto the App store and into android marketplace before they even think about making a BB port