Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
Still using my 11 pro max from launch. Never used a case or a screen protector. I intend on upgrading to the 15 pro and will definitely continue not using any sort of protection on it.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
I’m very curious to see how the grip of the brushed titanium is.

I’m a caseless user and have always appreciated the extra tack the glossy stainless steel frame provides compared to a matte surface like the aluminum sides of the standard models.

Anyone that has a previous brushed titanium Apple Watch have any thoughts? Ultra is more smoothed out so probably not a direct comparison.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
Having worked in an industrial shops for 40 years I go with some sort of case and screen protector. In certain cases to is a must to have protection of the device. I am now retired but still go with a case and screen protector.

Reactions: Duncan68

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
No case, no protector, no AppleCare for me. 13PM doing just fine, I’d imagine same/better for 15 series.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
With the 15 Pro being narrower, very slightly less tall and weighing 17 g’s lighter than my current 13 Pro I think I may go naked. Add in rounded off edges as opposed to the sharp edges of the 13 Pro and I think the 15 Pro is going to feel great in the hand.
This may be the first time I go caseless. I say that every year though and still end up getting a case. Slipperyness is my main concern. And rounded edges is lovely but I still have PTSD from dropping my naked Xs on the first day, it slid out of my grip like a bar of soap when taking a picture.

I am hoping the 15pro is the perfect balance between comfort and grip.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Might try to go "nude" with this one. Tried with the stainless models and that was a clear no-go as the stainless steel gets stains and scratches so easily. My biggest issue with going "nude" still remains though, the camera. It just feels silly, stupid and bad to lay my phone down when it isn't remotely close to flat. I never have my phone face down.

Reactions: lupend88

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
The square edges feel like crap in the hand; this will be no different.

In addition, I don't like that it can't lay flat on its back...so a case for that, if nothing else.

Last edited:
Reactions: digitalprty

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I’m very curious to see how the grip of the brushed titanium is.

I’m a caseless user and have always appreciated the extra tack the glossy stainless steel frame provides compared to a matte surface like the aluminum sides of the standard models.

Anyone that has a previous brushed titanium Apple Watch have any thoughts? Ultra is more smoothed out so probably not a direct comparison.
I think Titanium will be a bit more “gritty” than aluminum but it won’t be close to the tackiness of the shiny stainless steel.

It’ll definitely dent and scuff and scratch much easier though.

I’m a little sad about the stainless steel being gone, it was so premium and many competitors still have never switched to it. Titanium might be a good middle ground if I’m being honest though.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I've always gone naked and no AppleCare+.... But I always use a screen protector... I could deal with minor scratches and scuffs on the phone body but a scratch or scuff on the screen would drive me batty, so I take precaution there.

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
That’s only true if you don’t drop it.

I dropped my 14 pro twice from about waist height. First time was in a store during Canadian winter so the floor was covered in salt and sand. Not only did I drop it, I managed to kick it so
It slid about 4 feet across the floor. It was fine.

Dropped it a few months later in a different store, landed on its screen. It was fine.

No screen protector and no case.

• Wow
Reactions: Kierkegaarden

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I can’t do it. I’m too OC to have scuffs and scratches on my devices, and dropping it into my purse by my keys would surely scratch it.

Besides, I love the Loopy case and how easily I can use my phones one-handed with them. Now, going to a big phone, I’ll have to see…

Reactions: dominiongamma

mtulman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
Has anyone that has gone naked been on the apple upgrade program? The little nicks and scratches not been an issue when trading it in?

Reactions: boston04and07
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.