Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Some people just don’t care or notice, it’s like dust in a house lol.
I looked at a 14 pro for sale was only few weeks old, guy didn’t use a case or gsp, said it was like new no scratches etc.
Put it in the sun was covered in micro scratches and a chip on one of the camera lens edge.
Walked away.
I see a lot of “like new” phones on eBay or elsewhere which are covered in small scratches along with paint chips. You are right, I don’t think the average person cares. They seem to think that a phone with no major damage is as good as new whereas my standards are very high as I dislike any kind of imperfection, even if it’s just superficial. That’s why I always buy new phones as I can immediately stick them in a case. I know some people think it is counter-intuitive as my perfect phone will always be stuffed in a case, but I get to see it once per month when I am cleaning the phone and case, lol.

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter what people do with their own property. I just think it’s too risky to not use a case. I sure as hell ain’t paying for AppleCare+ either when $35 worth of protection is capable of keeping my phone pristine for its entire lifespan.

Last edited:

Sukach

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
You guys are crazy. Apple releases the softest ever frame material used on an iPhone and *this* is the first time you choose to go naked!

The only way this thing could scratch easier is if it was made from 24k gold :D
It will be interesting to see the drop tests after the phone comes out.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Dare I go careless and no screen protector? What say you?
Well, that really depends on how clumsy you are. If you constantly drop things, then I would not recommend it. definitely use a screen protector. I always do because that ceramic shield that they say is so tough, scratches very easily.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Why do people bother with ugly screen protectors? Screens stopped scratching with normal use years ago.
That is incorrect. The ceramic shield on the glass scratches very easily. I’ve seen it time and time again with family members and friends who get the new phones and they have to wait for a screen protector and by the time I apply it for them there are already several scratches on the screen. That’s either due to putting the phone in your pocket or in the purse etc. But it scratches easily so I always use a screen protector. And I use one that’s anti-glare as well, which is very nice and you don’t have that glossy reflection. The screen is easily visible in direct sunlight and looks more professional.

Also, take in mind that when you drop your phone face down, the screen protector breaks instead of the actual iPhone display glass, saving you a trip to the Apple Store to get your screen replaced

Last edited:

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
That is incorrect. The ceramic shield on the glass scratches very easily. I’ve seen it time and time again with family members and friends who get the new phones and they have to wait for a screen protector and by the time I apply it for them there are already several scratches on the screen. That’s either due to putting the phone in your pocket or in the purse etc. But it scratches easily so I always use a screen protector. And I use one that’s anti-glare as well, which is very nice and you don’t have that glossy reflection. The screen is easily visible in direct sunlight and looks more professional.

Also, take in mind that when you drop your phone face down, the screen protector breaks instead of the actual iPhone display glass, saving you a trip to the Apple Store to get your screen replaced

I bet they throw their sunglasses caseless into their purses too. Some people are just careless with stuff. I havent scratched a screen since iPhone X. It either travels alone in my pocket, or sits on a desk. I look after my expensive device with care. But to each their own.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I bet they throw their sunglasses caseless into their purses too. Some people are just careless with stuff. I havent scratched a screen since iPhone X. It either travels alone in my pocket, or sits on a desk. I look after my expensive device with care. But to each their own.
Yep Ive never had an issue with scratches and ive had my iphones naked for like a decade. I hate having a case on my phone.

Reactions: WP31

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Yeah, I understand that. It’s just extra peace of mind for me and I like the frosted anti-glare glass on the front instead of a highly reflective surface that’s difficult to see outside or indoors with a bunch of bright lights. The anti-glare is similar to most of your computer screens that have the same surface texture. besides dropping your phone into a purse or a pocket with something in it shouldn’t scratch the screen anyway, but it does. like you said to each their own, but I prefer to have glass on my phone for extra protection. Most people are clumsy anyway. If you’re not using a case or a screen protector then you’re just on borrowed time.

Last edited:

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I think Titanium will be a bit more “gritty” than aluminum but it won’t be close to the tackiness of the shiny stainless steel.

It’ll definitely dent and scuff and scratch much easier though.

I’m a little sad about the stainless steel being gone, it was so premium and many competitors still have never switched to it. Titanium might be a good middle ground if I’m being honest though.
I tend to agree with your dent and scuff more easily comment. Im sure the PVD coating however might help resist it somewhat than if it didnt have the coating.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I’ll use my iPhone case-less again when they start releasing iPhone 5 sized iPhones again.

Anything newer is just too large and slippery. Every time I sit down, no matter how large my pockets are, the iPhone would slip out without a case.

Reactions: Brad7

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
I hate cases, but always used an Apple Silicon one, as I don’t want scratches, etc…

I debated going ceaseless, but ultimately decided to order a Totallee MagSafe clear. I figure it’s giving my some protection, and a nice thin case to enjoy my iPhone color.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
The square edges feel like crap in the hand; this will be no different.

In addition, I don't like that it can't lay flat on its back...so a case for that, if nothing else.
I can say that it actually feels great in the hand. So much better than the 13/14! What feels even better in the hand though is the regular 15. If it had 120hz the large regular 15 would be the way to go for me this year… that phone feels sooo good In your hands. The titanium has a weird sticky feeling to it.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
My iPhone X case started to fray recently, so I ditched it.
Felt great in hand, no slippage whatsoever...however, the phone
slipped off a 20 inch high coffee table and fell on the screen.
Screen protector shattered but screen was pristine.
So I would say, case not so important but screen protector is a must.

Reactions: bigjnyc

Recon73

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
United States
I see a lot of “like new” phones on eBay or elsewhere which are covered in small scratches along with paint chips. You are right, I don’t think the average person cares. They seem to think that a phone with no major damage is as good as new whereas my standards are very high as I dislike any kind of imperfection, even if it’s just superficial. That’s why I always buy new phones as I can immediately stick them in a case. I know some people think it is counter-intuitive as my perfect phone will always be stuffed in a case, but I get to see it once per month when I am cleaning the phone and case, lol.

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter what people do with their own property. I just think it’s too risky to not use a case. I sure as hell ain’t paying for AppleCare+ either when $35 worth of protection is capable of keeping my phone pristine for its entire lifespan.
My thoughts exactly for my situation.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Without a doubt. You’ve to appreciate the touch of cold metal and accurate colour representation without glare of the screen. Get AC+, that’s what I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.