Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
They typically update at some point every week, however the '08's presence is rare considering how much demand there is for it.
They certainly don't stick around. Less than 24hrs, as there's many that want them, and precious few show up.

mluters

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
I'm considering a new 2009 quad with 2.66 - however, I found this 2008:

Item: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 64-bit Workstation
Processor: 2 X 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 64bit (8 cores / Octocore)
Memory: 10GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM (2GB Apple / 8GB Crucial)
HDD: 750GB (1 Bay used, 3 available)
Network: AirPort card installed / 2 Ethernet Ports
Connectivity: Bluetooth Card installed
Condition: Excellent (Comes with all original packaging and BOX)
Accessories: Wired Keyboard / Wired Mouse
Standard 1 Year Warranty: Owned about 10 months
AppleCare: Covered until March 19, 2012
Price: $1800

What does everyone think about this deal? $1800 for a 2008 OctoQuad 2.8GHz with 10gb Ram and Apple care until Mar 2012? Thanks

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I'm considering a new 2009 quad with 2.66 - however, I found this 2008:

Item: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 64-bit Workstation
Processor: 2 X 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 64bit (8 cores / Octocore)
Memory: 10GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM (2GB Apple / 8GB Crucial)
HDD: 750GB (1 Bay used, 3 available)
Network: AirPort card installed / 2 Ethernet Ports
Connectivity: Bluetooth Card installed
Condition: Excellent (Comes with all original packaging and BOX)
Accessories: Wired Keyboard / Wired Mouse
Standard 1 Year Warranty: Owned about 10 months
AppleCare: Covered until March 19, 2012
Price: $1800

What does everyone think about this deal? $1800 for a 2008 OctoQuad 2.8GHz with 10gb Ram and Apple care until Mar 2012? Thanks
Looks like a good deal to me. Hopefully, you can inspect/test it (full startup) before payment.

It looks good. What GPU will it ship with? It's not listed.
Good point, but even assuming it's the base card (2600), it's still a good deal.

Apple had one available in the refurb (US) yesterday for $2400 with base memory and graphics (2GB & 2600 IIRC). I believe it had 2*1TB drives. It didn't last long before someone got it, and the additional Apple Care would have been extra.

So for $1800, I'd say jump on it, especially with the extended Apple Care. I just hope it can be started up first to make sure it's not a rip-off, as Spacedust ran into with a false description (listed as "working" on eBay Poland, when it was DOA :().

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
They update the refurb list every day, maybe even multiple times a day. I used to check all the time. Things like the mini are only on there for a short period of time.

phaedarus

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2008
Man, you guys are getting luck with craigslist, there is no one in my area willing to part with their machine :(

Try Craigs List in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver sometime.

Two or three Mac Pros on average are listed per month and all of them offered by jokers who want $2000 for their 2006 Mac Pro and $3000 for 2008 8-core.

I despise how horrible the pricing is in Canada in the used market and yet just south of the border people are finding incredible deals on their Apple gear.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Somehow, I think there's a lot of truth to this statement... :rolleyes: :( Sad when I think about it.

We've all been there.

I cashed out my smallish 401k right when I graduated college. I bought a Mac with it. I was a PolSci pre-law with no intentions of going to law school.

I essentially bought a new career with a 7100/66 which I later upgraded to a monster 7100/80. lol

Ram was like $1,000,000 back then for like 48MB.

Later on I scored an open box 9500/132 which eventually saw a dual 180 in it and later on a 400MHz G3.

That machine is still in my closet. I need to get it working again for kicks. I think it just needs a video card.

I ate a lot of cornbread and black eyed peas... lol

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
We've all been there.

I cashed out my smallish 401k right when I graduated college. I bought a Mac with it. I was a PolSci pre-law with no intentions of going to law school.

I essentially bought a new career with a 7100/66 which I later upgraded to a monster 7100/80. lol

Ram was like $1,000,000 back then for like 48MB.

Later on I scored an open box 9500/132 which eventually saw a dual 180 in it and later on a 400MHz G3.

That machine is still in my closet. I need to get it working again for kicks. I think it just needs a video card.

I ate a lot of cornbread and black eyed peas... lol
Your situation was the reverse though. You cashed out to get a system, not sell it to pay rent. :p

My comment was that people that were previously using the system to generate an income (i.e. starting out as an independent), are so strapped for cash, they've no choice but to sell off items, including those that can generate an income if there was adequate work to begin with in order to cover basic expenses, such as rent, food,.... The economy is still that bad apparently. :( When I check job sites such as CareerBuilder, I see jobs in health care and to a lesser extent, IT. But not much else really (as far as quantity for a particular area = more than one position).

I know that the deals pop up occasionally, like when I picked up my previous '09 quad for $1,500 (the price Apple should be charging) :rolleyes:
To remain competitive, yes, though it would likely still be a bit higher, say ~$1800. But at $2500, it's too much for a Quad using a Xeon 3520 CPU IMO.

davidp158

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
'08 8-core vs '09 4-core for CS4?

Hey, y'all. I'm new to this forum, and have been reading these posts with great interest. I do mostly Photoshop work, and my old G5 struggles with large files. I also use most of the CS4 apps, and need to get an Intel Mac if I choose to upgrade to CS5. I'm aware that any of the '08 and '9 MacPro models will be a significant improvement over my vintage G5. I've tried to make sense of the various Mac Pro machines, but I'm hoping to get some feedback here on how the differences apply to my needs.

'08 2.8 8-core or '09 2.66 4-core? This is the most baffling part for me. Many claim the '08 8-core is the best value, yet I'm not sure how that applies to my applications. I read Lloyd Charles' test/review (http://macperformanceguide.com/Reviews-MacProNehalem-Conclusions.html), and he indicates most of the apps I use don't currently benefit greatly (if at all) from the dual CPU. His tests suggest the '08 8-Core models are generally faster than the '09 4-Core models, but not so much for Photoshop. His Photoshop diglloydSpeed1 test states the '08 8-core was 29% slower than the '09 2.93 8-core. His Photoshop diglloydMedium test claims the 2.93 '09 8-core machine performed slower than the '08 2.8 8-core machine. Does this suggest that I'm better off with the '09 2.66 single CPU (assuming the 4 RAM slots aren't a limitation)? The tests were done in 10.5.6. Does Leopard change the performance with either the '08 or 09 models?

I've read that Adobe's CS5 may be re-written for 64 bit, but not clear on if either the '08 or '09 models are better suited to take advantage of that. Maybe the CS5 launch on 4/12 will shed some light on that, and some improvements for multi-core use. I do a little bit of 3D work with Maxon Cinema 34D, which would benefit from a dual CPU machine, but 90% of my work is Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.

RAM: The '09 4 RAM slot limit imposes a cost premium for larger RAM sticks. Nothing new, but still an additional expense to face now, or get by with smaller RAM sticks which inevitably get tossed when RAM prices come down. I have had good luck with Crucial memory in the past. Are there other brands/vendors, or features specific to the '08 and '09 Mac Pro that I should be aware of?

Video cards: I don't do any gaming or video work, so other than Maxon C4D, does the HD 4870 offer any benefit to my graphics apps? I've read they suck a lot of power, which is wasteful and may put additional heat/stress on the machine. My monitor is a NEW LCD2690UWZi w/calibrator, and monitor calibration is critical for the work I do. I don't plan on using a second monitor. I'm thinking the stock '08 ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT and '09 NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 cards will be fine for my needs.

Any clarification/advise would be appreciated. I've been trying to make sense of all the variables, but there are a few too many to juggle. I'd like to wait a few months to see how the Mac Pro line may be refreshed, but may miss out on a good refurbished '08, and my current Mac is getting tired.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
'08 2.8 8-core or '09 2.66 4-core? This is the most baffling part for me. Many claim the '08 8-core is the best value, yet I'm not sure how that applies to my applications. I read Lloyd Charles' test/review (http://macperformanceguide.com/Reviews-MacProNehalem-Conclusions.html), and he indicates most of the apps I use don't currently benefit greatly (if at all) from the dual CPU. His tests suggest the '08 8-Core models are generally faster than the '09 4-Core models, but not so much for Photoshop. His Photoshop diglloydSpeed1 test states the '08 8-core was 29% slower than the '09 2.93 8-core. His Photoshop diglloydMedium test claims the 2.93 '09 8-core machine performed slower than the '08 2.8 8-core machine. Does this suggest that I'm better off with the '09 2.66 single CPU (assuming the 4 RAM slots aren't a limitation)? The tests were done in 10.5.6. Does Leopard change the performance with either the '08 or 09 models?
There are multiple factors involved, and ultimately, your budget. The comparision I bolded is a prime example. Yes, the '08 is slower under the test conditions, but it can be had for less money.

Ultimately, the current version of Photoshop can't use that many cores, so a Quad running at a higher clock speed will be of more benefit to you than a slower clocked system. Granted, the processors in the '08 and '09 are different, the cores aren't (changes are in the memory and interconnection bus to the chipset). The Nehalems have a technical advantage, but the software you've listed can't utilize it.

The '08 has an advantage with RAM, as you've more slots (allows for lower cost sticks to get the capacity you need).

So the budget will matter here. If you're funds are really tight, the '08 would make sense, but if it's not, then the '09 would be the better choice IMO.

I've read that Adobe's CS5 may be re-written for 64 bit, but not clear on if either the '08 or '09 models are better suited to take advantage of that. Maybe the CS5 launch on 4/12 will shed some light on that, and some improvements for multi-core use. I do a little bit of 3D work with Maxon Cinema 34D, which would benefit from a dual CPU machine, but 90% of my work is Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
It is 64 bit, but there's no real world data yet. So you might want to see what happens, if you're planning to upgrade to CS5 with the new system.

Video cards: I don't do any gaming or video work, so other than Maxon C4D, does the HD 4870 offer any benefit to my graphics apps? I've read they suck a lot of power, which is wasteful and may put additional heat/stress on the machine. My monitor is a NEW LCD2690UWZi w/calibrator, and monitor calibration is critical for the work I do. I don't plan on using a second monitor. I'm thinking the stock '08 ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT and '09 NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 cards will be fine for my needs.
Teh 4870 would help if you're doing 3D or video work. Still images, not so much. But the stock cards in the '08's (base) are rather old, and could benefit from an update IMO (you can run a GT120 in it, even though Apple doesn't state this).

CCK

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
KY
Your situation was the reverse though. You cashed out to get a system, not sell it to pay rent. :p

My comment was that people that were previously using the system to generate an income (i.e. starting out as an independent), are so strapped for cash, they've no choice but to sell off items,

I think a lot of these people also simply don't use their machines. They find it's a lot more work to produce a film, etc... than they thought it would be, so they sell.

Hey, y'all. I'm new to this forum, and have been reading these posts with great interest. I do mostly Photoshop work, and my old G5 struggles with large files. I also use most of the CS4 apps, and need to get an Intel Mac if I choose to upgrade to CS5. I'm aware that any of the '08 and '9 MacPro models will be a significant improvement over my vintage G5. I've tried to make sense of the various Mac Pro machines, but I'm hoping to get some feedback here on how the differences apply to my needs.

I just this week upgraded my G5 to a 2.93 quad with 4Gbs of ram and I can tell you that this thing screams compared to the G5. I do a lot of PS work, but I really got it because HD video was soooo slow on the G5. I'd work in Motion using small multimedia presets to do an animation so I could see what was happening & then up it to HD to export. Now I can work in HD & find that it's faster than the G5 was in the small multi media setting.

I was concerned about the ram limitations, but have been pleasantly surprised at how it runs on just 4 gigs - My refurb came with 2x2gbs modules though, so increasing the ram (at least to 8) is less painful.

The bottom line is that either the 08 or the 09 from the G5 will be such a noticeable difference, but I'm not too sure you'd see too much of a difference between the 08 & the 09, maybe if you did benchmarks, but in real life I'm not so sure.

Kinda like going from a 68 VW Beetle to a Prius with the gas peddle stuck as opposed to a Camry with the gas peddle stuck

davidp158

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
nanofrog & CCK - Thanks for the prompt replies on this. I've been reading as much as I can in the past week about the options, and I'm suffering from the ol' paralysis by analysis data overload thing... I'm confident that any of the new machines will be a major leap in performance from what I've been using. I've gotten 5 years of hard work from my G5, so I am just trying to make a good choice for my next machine.

Buying a refurbished '08 seems to make more sense for the short term (faster CPU clock speed, more affordable RAM option than a similarly priced '09). I'm just wondering if the '09 models will adapt to new software and technologies that may (or may not) come in the next few years. If CS5 is better optimized for Leopard and the '09 Mac Pros, I may regret buying a refurbished '08. I've read that many of the CS4 apps run slower on Leopard. As I can't run Leopard on my G5, I have no experience with this.

Q: Do either the '08 or '09 machines offer any advantage when it comes to adding a Photoshop scratch RAID set up?

I plan on using 1 internal drive for OS/apps, 1 internal drive for work files, 1 drive for TimeMachine, and 1 drive for permanent archive backups. Should I use 2 of the internal drive bays for a 2 disk RAID, or set up an external RAID? I'm thinking the external backup drives via FW are fast enough. I also read about the extender cable that provides 2 external SATA ports for the '08 machines, or 1 for the '09 machine. Would an eSATA card for external ports offer better performance than the extender cable? Is an eSATA card required for a Photoshop scratch RAID?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I think a lot of these people also simply don't use their machines. They find it's a lot more work to produce a film, etc... than they thought it would be, so they sell.
It could also be that some of the independents have lost so much work, they've gone under, and have taken work in another field to cover their living expenses. :(

One member comes to mind, that's now driving a Taxi. The computers were sold off out of financial necessity as I understand it.

nanofrog & CCK - Thanks for the prompt replies on this. I've been reading as much as I can in the past week about the options, and I'm suffering from the ol' paralysis by analysis data overload thing... I'm confident that any of the new machines will be a major leap in performance from what I've been using. I've gotten 5 years of hard work from my G5, so I am just trying to make a good choice for my next machine.

Buying a refurbished '08 seems to make more sense for the short term (faster CPU clock speed, more affordable RAM option than a similarly priced '09). I'm just wondering if the '09 models will adapt to new software and technologies that may (or may not) come in the next few years. If CS5 is better optimized for Leopard and the '09 Mac Pros, I may regret buying a refurbished '08. I've read that many of the CS4 apps run slower on Leopard. As I can't run Leopard on my G5, I have no experience with this.
Either system can run Snow Leopard, including K64 (EFI64 firmware used in both systems).

We need benchmarks, but the only affect I'd expect to differentiate the systems would be the RAM, clock speeds involved, and any upgrades to I/O throughput.

As per optimization that makes the '09 a better choice, I seriously doubt it (i.e. can utilize triple channel DDR3). The software has to be written with some degree of backwards compatibility, and has to include the '08 systems at a minimum. I wouldn't worry about it.

Q: Do either the '08 or '09 machines offer any advantage when it comes to adding a Photoshop scratch RAID set up?
If you go with a hardware RAID solution, it's actually easier and less expensive to use an '08 model, as you don't need an expensive adapter to use the HDD trays with a 3rd party card (do NOT opt for Apple's card if you go with a hardware solution - it's total crap). Worst case, you may need an extender cable, but it's cheaper than the adapter kit needed for the '09's (kit = $165, cable = $90; $75 is better in your pocket than someone else's ;)).

I plan on using 1 internal drive for OS/apps, 1 internal drive for work files, 1 drive for TimeMachine, and 1 drive for permanent archive backups. Should I use 2 of the internal drive bays for a 2 disk RAID, or set up an external RAID? I'm thinking the external backup drives via FW are fast enough. I also read about the extender cable that provides 2 external SATA ports for the '08 machines, or 1 for the '09 machine. Would an eSATA card for external ports offer better performance than the extender cable? Is an eSATA card required for a Photoshop scratch RAID?
Yes, you'd benefit from RAID given your statement about large files. You'd also benefit from using an SSD as the OS/applications drive (fastest drive tech for random access throughputs - do NOT attempt to use it for scratch though, and don't fill it all the way).

I'd skip the eSATA extender cable, and go with an eSATA card. There's a cheap 2 port model (SIL3132) available on eBay (here). Silicon Image offers OS X drivers for it as well (here). As it has it's own drivers, it supports Hot Swap, unlike the SATA ports on the logic board standard (OS X Client edition does NOT support Hot Swap, but the Server edition does). Not worth $500USD IMO, so go with the card. It also works with Port Multiplier enclosures (allows up to 5x drives on 1x SATA port), but the logic board does NOT. A really nice little advantage, as it makes adding storage much easier, and is inexpensive as well.

davidp158

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
nanofrog (& others) - Hey, thanks for all the valuable advice! I'm keeping my eye open for a refurbished '08 to come along, and will try to find out if Adobe CS5 will have any bearing on my purchase decision.

Regarding a RAID for Photoshop scratch disc, Lloyd Charles mentions the NewerTech MAXPower 6G card ($55 @ OWC). Any drawbacks to this card for a 2 drive RAID? It doesn't require software drivers, which sounds convenient, but that could mean it can't be updated.
http://macperformanceguide.com/Reviews-MAXPower_eSATA_6G.html

He mentions MAXPower card does not support port multiplication, but I gather that only applies to an enclosure using 3 or more drives. My RAID-0 would have just 2 drives.
http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-PortMultiplication.html

At this time I don't think I need hot swappable drives for the RAID, but I do want the option to spin them down when I don't need them. Is hot swap a requirement for this? I've read that some eSATA cards cause problems with sleep modes, which I want to avoid.

I'm considering this OWC dual drive enclosure:
http://macperformanceguide.com/RecommendedMultiInterfaceEnclosures.html

It may appear that I'm putting a lot of faith in Lloyd Charles' info, but he comments on issues with graphics files, the '08/'09 MacPros and peripherals that are similar to my work flow needs. Benchmarks often distract me from seeing the bigger picture, so real world use reviews often yield more useful information for me. (Plus, I'm easily confused!)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Regarding a RAID for Photoshop scratch disc, Lloyd Charles mentions the NewerTech MAXPower 6G card ($55 @ OWC). Any drawbacks to this card for a 2 drive RAID? It doesn't require software drivers, which sounds convenient, but that could mean it can't be updated.
http://macperformanceguide.com/Reviews-MAXPower_eSATA_6G.html
Must it be external?

You'd be better off IMO using the HDD bays and Disk Utility in OS X to set up a simple stripe set. Cheaper too (no card or enclosure/s to buy).

He mentions MAXPower card does not support port multiplication, but I gather that only applies to an enclosure using 3 or more drives. My RAID-0 would have just 2 drives.
http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-PortMultiplication.html

At this time I don't think I need hot swappable drives for the RAID, but I do want the option to spin them down when I don't need them. Is hot swap a requirement for this? I've read that some eSATA cards cause problems with sleep modes, which I want to avoid.

I'm considering this OWC dual drive enclosure:
http://macperformanceguide.com/RecommendedMultiInterfaceEnclosures.html

It may appear that I'm putting a lot of faith in Lloyd Charles' info, but he comments on issues with graphics files, the '08/'09 MacPros and peripherals that are similar to my work flow needs. Benchmarks often distract me from seeing the bigger picture, so real world use reviews often yield more useful information for me. (Plus, I'm easily confused!)
That card would be a problem with the enclosure you want to use. PM means more than 1x drive per SATA port (so 2+ drives on a single port = WILL NOT WORK for this particular card).

You could use 2x separate single disk versions (1x per eSATA port), but not one of the dual drive enclosures. You'd need a different card for that (has support for Port Multiplier enclosures).

As per DigiLloyd, he's not the best source for RAID information IMO. He recommends using the 4x disk enclosure for RAID 5, and that's a massive NO-NO. You don't want to use a software implementation for that (5/6 = parity based arrays, and have something called the "write hole issue"; it takes hardware to solve it). Software will result in corrupt data. Period (matter of when, not if).

CCK

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
KY
B]Q:[/B] Do either the '08 or '09 machines offer any advantage when it comes to adding a Photoshop scratch RAID set up?

2 things - If you can stick it out 1-8 more weeks the 10's should be out & I for one believe that they'll be quite a bit better. 2 - before you go with the RAID, try out the internals as nanofrog stated. The drives in the new machine seem much faster along with everything else.

It could also be that some of the independents have lost so much work, they've gone under, and have taken work in another field to cover their living expenses. :(

One member comes to mind, that's now driving a Taxi. The computers were sold off out of financial necessity as I understand it.

I agree & feel for them, just saying that there are a lot who simply overbuy (I've been guilty of that with camera equipment) - all I'm saying.

davidp158

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Must it be external?
No preference; the RAID could be internal or external. I just want to comprehend the options, and determine what I'll need for drives (OS+apps / work files / RAID scratch disks / TimeMachine / permanent archive), enclosures, and eSATA card (if necessary).

You'd be better off IMO using the HDD bays and Disk Utility in OS X to set up a simple stripe set. Cheaper too (no card or enclosure/s to buy).

I'm fine with using the internal HDD bays, but I still need two external drives for TimeMachine and permanent archive. If I wanted to set up an external RAID, I'm unclear about the card/enclosure:

That card would be a problem with the enclosure you want to use. PM means more than 1x drive per SATA port (so 2+ drives on a single port = WILL NOT WORK for this particular card).

You could use 2x separate single disk versions (1x per eSATA port), but not one of the dual drive enclosures. You'd need a different card for that (has support for Port Multiplier enclosures).

The MAXPower card product description says:
Number of Drives Supported: Up to 10; 5 per port (with a footnote stating: Requires drive enclosures that support port multiplier technology.)
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/PCIESATA2/

Regarding the OWC enclosure, I looked, but didn't find, any mention of port multiplication. It has room for 2 drives, mentions RAID 0 support in the product description:
"RAID 0 Performance Striping for maximum performance (requires two identical Hard Drives)"
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEFW936AL2/

As per DigiLloyd, he's not the best source for RAID information IMO. He recommends using the 4x disk enclosure for RAID 5, and that's a massive NO-NO. You don't want to use a software implementation for that (5/6 = parity based arrays, and have something called the "write hole issue"; it takes hardware to solve it). Software will result in corrupt data. Period (matter of when, not if).[/QUOTE]

DigiLloyd's description of multiple partitions with multiple RAID set up seems a bit risky to me. I don't fully understand RAID combinations, but my primary interest is setting up a RAID-0 for Photoshop scratch disc, not for data storage. Some people seem to loath RAIDs due to addition risk (more drives=higher chance of failure), but I would think a scratch disc would be lower risk of data loss.

Thanks, again, for all the help and patience with my lack of knowledge on this stuff. I'm learning a a lot, and hopefully making a better informed decision.

cheers, Dave

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I agree & feel for them, just saying that there are a lot who simply overbuy (I've been guilty of that with camera equipment) - all I'm saying.
I understand your point, and there's truth to it. There's more than a fair few of those that have older systems that bought DP models for the "Resale Value".

The economy has changed things a bit for some, as there's professional users that had the need and ability to run a DP system, but can't keep hold of the equipment any longer due to immediate financial needs/circumstances. It's much more recent though, and doubtful as common as users that buy more system than they need.

No preference; the RAID could be internal or external. I just want to comprehend the options, and determine what I'll need for drives (OS+apps / work files / RAID scratch disks / TimeMachine / permanent archive), enclosures, and eSATA card (if necessary).
The simple way to think about it:
  • internal = cheaper, but limited to the port count on the board, so 6x (if you remove the optical drive/s)
  • external = more expensive, but can allow for additional disks via PM enclosures

I'm fine with using the internal HDD bays, but I still need two external drives for TimeMachine and permanent archive. If I wanted to set up an external RAID, I'm unclear about the card/enclosure:

The MAXPower card product description says:
Number of Drives Supported: Up to 10; 5 per port (with a footnote stating: Requires drive enclosures that support port multiplier technology.)
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/PCIESATA2/
eSATA is fine for backup/archival solutions as it's inexpensive. PM enclosures can allow you to have more drives (5 drives per eSATA port is the max allowable per specification). So a 2 port card can run up to 10 disks, and as the current largest capacity is 2TB, produces a max capacity of 20TB. More ports means more drives are possible, which can mean more capacity.

You can run these as single disks, JBOD (Just a Bunch of Disks = appears as a single drive, but is the capacity of all the drives added; if one disk fails, the others will still contain their data and can be recovered, unlike a stripe set = one goes, all data is gone), or RAID either by the driver (if RAID support is provided) or Disk Utility.

That particular card BTW, is a SIL3132 based card, same as the one I linked. But more expensive. That's it. It supports Port Mulitplier enclosures as indicated, and in that respect, is a better card than the newertech model. But you do have to run drivers to use it, and it's not able to boot OS X (it can boot Windows or Linux though).

Regarding the OWC enclosure, I looked, but didn't find, any mention of port multiplication. It has room for 2 drives, mentions RAID 0 support in the product description:
"RAID 0 Performance Striping for maximum performance (requires two identical Hard Drives)"
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEFW936AL2/
Any enclosure that contains more than a single SATA disk uses a Port Mulitplier chip. There may be bridge chips as well, or built into a single component (i.e. SATA to USB and/or SATA to FW400/800).

DigiLloyd's description of multiple partitions with multiple RAID set up seems a bit risky to me. I don't fully understand RAID combinations, but my primary interest is setting up a RAID-0 for Photoshop scratch disc, not for data storage. Some people seem to loath RAIDs due to addition risk (more drives=higher chance of failure), but I would think a scratch disc would be lower risk of data loss.
It can be, depending on the specifics. What you don't want, is simultaneous access (trying to use multiple arrays that reside on the same disk, as it drops your throughput rates to the floor).

Partitions also push you get further in on the platter and the data rate slows down. Outer most tracks = fastest, inner most tracks = slowest. So be mindful of that fact.

As per multiple drives creating more risk, it depends on the level. For a stripe set, it is. It's also acceptable with a small set so long as there's a proper backup (needed in any event, RAID or not). But the reason is, a stripe set has 0 redundancy, so if one disk fails, all the data on the array is gone.

Other RAID levels are different though, and they're each different. You'd want to take the time to read the RAID Wiki carefully, and follow the links to get further information. It can explain quite a bit, and help you to understand enough to ask the pertinent questions if it doesn't answer all of them for you.

CCK

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
KY
nanofrog & CCK I've gotten 5 years of hard work from my G5, so I am just trying to make a good choice for my next machine.

I plan on using 1 internal drive for OS/apps, 1 internal drive for work files, 1 drive for TimeMachine, and 1 drive for permanent archive backups. Should I use 2 of the internal drive bays for a 2 disk RAID, or set up an external RAID? I'm thinking the external backup drives via FW are fast enough.

Sounds like your situation/concerns about your purchase is very similar to what mine was. I do a lot of PS (CS4) & Indesign, But mostly I do HD video, which of course includes audio, animation, titles etc. Plus I shoot my time lapse sequences with a 15MP still camera, so 600 still are used for a 20 second clip. My point is that video = more demands.

What I've found in the transition from the G5>2.93 Quad.

G5 - Slow, cramped internal storage, so even kept a lot of files on the OS drive. FW800 for externals. = poor workflow

MP - Way faster, plenty of internal space for all my projects/backups while also keeping the OS drive clean. = very efficient workflow.

Since I don't know too much about your work & can only speculate on what you need. Though it seems like a new machine with 4 large, fast internals would take care of all your needs (like it does mine as this is a completely different experience than the G5)

For externals, I find the newertech voyager works great, as I can easily access numerous (inexpensive) drives (will eventually get eSATA card to replace FW800 connection I transfer with now).

IMO, it seems best to focus on the machine which best suits your needs, get it set up for your workflow & take it for a test drive before you add the peripherals. This will give you a better idea of what those peripherals should be.

For me there is an SSD in my future when they come down in $ some.

Whatever you choose, good luck & enjoy:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.