Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luuthian

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2013
Doesn't look like it. Then again, outside of Betas there are usually pretty few iPhone updates that improved battery life as opposed to simply fixed battery life bugs.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I'll come back to this thread in a few days. My phone finished installing iOS 7.1 right before 6:00 and just now finished restoring. But in a few days I'll be able to see if I think it improved

GalvaJ

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
I'll never understand how people can rush onto this forum to ask this question just hours after the update has been released. How can we know if it's helped battery life if we've barely even used it?!

Macc55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
I'll never understand how people can rush onto this forum to ask this question just hours after the update has been released. How can we know if it's helped battery life if we've barely even used it?!

iOS 7.1 has been out for 10 hours just so you know.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You can get an idea very quickly. I usually completely kill my battery in under 5 hours.

Macc55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Do you think that one single power cycle, if people have even gotten that far, is enough to make a conclusion on battery life?

Short answer yes and don't forget people had the beta and additional information about the iOS 7.1 was before it was released to us.

GalvaJ

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
Short answer yes and don't forget people had the beta and additional information about the iOS 7.1 was before it was released to us.

I'm one of those that have been on the beta for months. But, you have to remember that lately Apple's had the habit of having very good beta's, and then suddenly the public release comes and we're left thinking where did it all go wrong? I just feel more time should be given before some of these types of questions show up.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can get an idea very quickly. I usually completely kill my battery in under 5 hours.
You can get an idea, but that idea can easily be the wrong idea. After updates you play with the phone more and some processes run at times synching some things and new app updates come out that you often get and perhaps use. You really need a few days and cycles to get a better average which is more meaningful than one-off type of uses.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Possibly, it's higher than it normally is by this time of day but still too soon to tell.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I have noticed my location icon in the menu bar is on all the time though. Nothing is using it at the moment so I'm guessing it's just an indicator.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have noticed my location icon in the menu bar is on all the time though. Nothing is using it at the moment so I'm guessing it's just an indicator.
Check the location settings to see what's using it.

Macc55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
I got 10 hours from mine:rolleyes:

nice

----------

As more mature minds have responded --> way too soon to give a valid response (regardless of how you argue with us)

Your response sounds immature if you ask me. And who's us? Did you bring your family with you?

----------

Mine did that too. Somehow Foursquare activated it's location finder so I deleted it. Problem solved.

----------

My battery life is way better since the update 7.0.6 was horrible on my battery

I agree. My battery has been lasting all day at work without a charge. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Last edited:

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I too was having battery/heat issues with 7.0.6. Since I knew 7.1 was coming soon I decided not to do a complete wipe to see if that would solve it. It seems as though 7.1 has fixed it. My battery/heat is back to normal.

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Nope.
My battery drained to 20% with only 3 hours of usage. :(
It's even worse than 7.0.6 where I got around 4 hours usage..

btsvchris

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2014
I have no clue how this comes. For the betas it was all normal. Now I was just using SMS, whatsapp and safari.

After charging it for a minute, the percentage went from 2% to 30%?!?
Wow !

ada9eda3.jpg

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Took off the charger this morning running 7.0.6. My battery was probably around 90% when I started the update on battery power around 10:10 AM Pacific. After its was finished, I had about 75% left. I used Safari on Wi-Fi and made a few FaceTime Audio/regular phone calls totaling less then 10 minutes. With that, I had to plug it in around midnight when I wanted to stream a TV episode to my Apple TV. Before I plugged it in, I was at 16%. This was normal under any iOS 7 version I was using (except 7.0, that was slightly worse).

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Still a bit early to tell but I upgraded (OTA) and fully charged my phone (iPhone 5) about 12 hours ago and then took it off the charger. I'm working at home so I haven't used it at all since I took it off the charger, it's just sitting on my desk next to me, but I just flicked on the screen and was surprised to see the battery still at 100%. It never dropped that little with 7.0.x. I only have 3G on, connected to a two bar (two dots) signal, Bluetooth and WiFi are off.

I have noticed in the past that system services seems to consume a lot of data especially the location services even though I have every system location setting turned off except for Find-my-phone and rarely use location-accessing apps. I must reset the mobile data usage counters and see if this might be one of things that Apple has improved with 7.1. Cutting down background system data traffic as much as possible would be a great silent improvement in my view and could contribute to increased standby life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.