So is the glass laminated onto the screen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Branskins, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Branskins macrumors 65816

I haven't heard anyone say if the iPad 2 has the same lamination process that the iPhone 4 had. This is a pretty big part of why the iPhone 4 screen looks so good as the screen and the glass are almost "fused" together.

So does anyone know? :)

2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

The iPhone 4 has a retina screen so that could have something to do with it...

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I can not see the ipad2 screen being any different than the iPad1:)

4. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

If the screen is lamination to the glass (It kinda looks that way from some pictures) it would make a difference because there would be no gap between the display and glass so at angles you wouldn't get reflections from the display inside the glass.

5. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

And sometimes apps look like they are right on top of the glass!

I think it would be a huge improvement to the screen, but no one has mentioned it yet :(.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

I came onto the forum to ask this very question! I really hope the glass is fused to the LCD like on the iPhone 4. Reduces reflections big time, and reduces the the feeling that the glass is really just a layer away from the actual LCD. The iPhone 4 is so much nicer than the iPad 1 in this regard.

Let's hope it's this way for iPad 2!

7. redman042 macrumors 68020

I would bet yes, but there's been no confirmation. The reason why I say this is because it is thinner than the iPhone 4 and much thinner than the iPad 1. The laminated glass is one way Apple got the iPhone 4 to be so thin.

I would sure like to know this answer, and how much it reduces glare in practice, because this would add another reason for me to pre-order on the 11th.

From the videos and pics on Engadget, it seems like the glare is reduced, but then again I'm sure Apple set up the lighting there to help with that.

8. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I would bet not since they didnt mention it in the event

9. WilliamG macrumors 604

That's my guess, too. Definitely an evolution, here..